Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, PerCites. Reflecting on both my life up to date and certain recent events, I'm inspired to become a career-centered person, possibly workaholic. I'm too social-centered for someone who's not that likable. The self-professed workaholics I've spoken to all likes their jobs, and I unfortunately might be stuck with unpleasant work for up to some years. I want to get back in touch with my inner introvert.

Related to the above, I want to become emotionally tougher. I consider myself too sensitive for a guy, at least in my circumstance. I don't want to accomplish this through shutting everyone out and being cold or rude to everyone, though.

I have good reasons for my goals, and will probably elaborate on a detail if asked. Advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Reactions: hackm

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is too open-ended for most people to respond to, topix.

A few suggestions to become career-centered:

1. Find work that you like. You say that you are stuck in unpleasant work for some time. Is that really so? Sometimes the best thing you can do is slam on the brakes and change your direction.

2. If you are stuck, then find a part of your job that you like. For example, many young people have to put up with working at Target or Best Buy until they graduate and establish themselves. How in God's name can a person find something they like about that? One idea is the people. Be social, enjoy going to work for the social aspects. So what if you aren't likeable. Otherwise, pick the task that you like the most and induce yourself to obsess over it and desire to improve your performance at it.

3. Even if you are stuck, set a higher goal. Maybe you can't attain it, but reach anyway. If I were an employee at Target, I would shoot for a promotion. I would tell the manager: "I want the assistant manager position and I will do anything it takes." See what happens. You never know. At least it's something to strive for: more money, a little prestige, and a better title to place on a resume. Plus, you get labelled as the "go getter."

To become emotionally tougher...does not compute. So what if you are sensitive? Explain what it is you need to be tougher about in order to receive advice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts