Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I even start with this...

I don't like to be touched, especially when I'm caught off-guard. It hurts, but it isn't physical hurt, because there is no evidence of something happening to cause the pain. Clearly the pain is not real, yet I experience it. This is a frustrating mess.

Being poked feels like a wasp sting (and lingers just as long). A hand on my shoulder or a pat on my back feels like being struck with some electrified belt or something. It's really hard to explain. Being tickled reminds me of this one time a friend taze'd me to test out her new pocket tazer.

This is also affecting intimacy. A hug is incredibly uncomfortable, especially if I did not initiate it. It starts slow, like ants crawling all over my skin, but builds and builds until it feels like pins and needles and I hear static in my ears. "Cuddling" is difficult and produces similar effects as hugging. And as for things beyond that, use your imagination (I'll give you a hint: it isn't exactly pleasant).

Because of this, I flinch a lot and hesitate to go into social settings where I know a lot of people will be touching me. This is kind of embarrassing, especially since I have no reason to react this way. My SO once reached above my head to fetch a dish from the cupboard, and I flinched and inhaled sharply...and since we had company over and we were all hanging out in the kitchen, it looked really, really bad and they gave my SO the dirtiest looks until I explained this whole fiasco to them (they weren't completely convinced, but at least it eased some of the tension).

As for sounds, loud noises hurt like electricity shooting through my core. They send me into an illogical panic. I jump and get defensive, well beyond the average response. It takes me a while to calm back down after a metal pan drops on the floor. Doing the dishes has me on edge and grinding my teeth because all of the plates keep knocking against each other and making a racket. I handle fireworks and thunder and explosions pretty well, but drop a book on a table next to me and I end up curled in a ball covering my ears (well, not anymore, but I used to when I was younger).

I have had several tests and extensive blood work done, and my doctor has ruled out the typical suspects (fibromyalgia, anaemia, and so on). I have looked into autism and several other possibilities along that spectrum (a friend likened my issues to the sensory defensiveness her autistic nephew experiences), but I find it highly unlikely that I'd have gone this long without a diagnosis.

My doctor suggested that it might be more of a psychological problem relating to some childhood trauma, but if that's the case, then damn, I did a hell of a job repressing it.

Do any of you have any idea as to what might be causing this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I experience something like this, it's due to excessive nervous tension, when my nervous system is overloaded with inputs. What helps me is to go somewhere where I can be alone, relax and recharge, somewhere quiet and preferably in nature.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do tend to run off if things get to be too much, but this stuff happens consistently. It's the same when I wake up as it is when I go to the store, regardless of stress levels or neurological input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bah, I remember reading on it somewhere but I cannot recall the source. I believe it does have to do with something in psychology, something having to do with being over stimulated, I don't remember well. Personally, I can't stand any sort of light touching. To me it feels like burning or scraping and it hurts (and I'm not too sure if it really is perceived physical pain or otherwise). Anytime contact must be expected I must be the one to initiate it. I literary jump back, go stiff, or push the person away if they touch me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anytime contact must be expected I must be the one to initiate it. I literary jump back, go stiff, or push the person away if they touch me.
This. This exactly. Glad to know I'm not insane (and if I am, at least I'm not alone).

·
Registered
35 Posts
"Nervous tension commonly refers to a state of mind and body where the person feels tensed and overreacts to any situation. It tightens muscles and nerves in the body restricting the normal action and free and rhythmic flow of the various circulations"

"Anxiety and nervous tension are usually the result of emotional and physical stresses encountered in daily life, such as relationship problems, financial difficulties, job demands, traffic jams, and crowded or noisy environments. Even seemingly happy occurrences such as a marriage, a promotion, or a move to a new home create a state of emotional and physiological arousal that can easily turn into exhaustion."

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hmm....
This is an interesting case, I'l keep this in mind for future referents.

I was given this "Mega B complex", it says that it helps the Nervous-system. (Take with vitamin C)

Yeah, I don't experience what you do but I know that this is very inconvenient.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Zombie Devil Duckie No, the earliest I remember of this is from when I was around...9 years old? I was fine up to around 7, I don't remember much of being 8, and I've been dealing with this from then on. I'm inclined to think something happened (I used to ride horses and do a lot of outdoors stuff), but I don't recall any trips to the ER or anything that may have affected me in this way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts