Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm very interested in the enneagram and I have already discussed it with some people and answered some tests but I'm not sure about my core type. I have already considered 2, 6, 4 and 5. I would really apreciate any help. English is not my native language, so I apologize for any mistakes in advance.

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?
True love, art, inner peace, adventure, the unknow

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
I just hope to have a interesting and creative life and to live intense emotions and experiences. I want to be able to truly love people and to love myself. I also hope to grow as an artist and to have the admiration of people.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
I don't want to be a mediocre person and I hope to avoid being in constant state of unhappiness. I would hate never finding great romantic love or feeling like I'm trapped in a situation. I value originality, niceness, freedom, erudition, beauty and politeness.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
That I might not be able to be happy because I'm never satisfied with what I have. Never being free. I'm also always afraid of rejection.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
I'd like to be seen as an interesting, funny, nice, confident and peaceful person. On the contrary, I'm moody, a little too serious, insecure, awkward, dramatic, not so nice and sometimes pretty annoying.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
I feel my best when I create something that is truly beautiful (I draw and paint), when I'm listening to beautiful music, after meditating, when partying with fun-loving people and when I feel desired. I feel my worst when I spend too much time with someone or alone, when I'm in an unpleasant environment and when I feel rejected. Drinking too much can bring the worst in me too.

7. Describe how you experience each of:
a) anger;
It takes my whole body and it's really hard to calm me down. If I remember the situation that made me angry, even years later, the feeling will come back just as strong.

b) shame;
I just want to die or move to another country. Like with anger, I will experience the same feeling if I remember the situation, even if it's not important anymore.

c) anxiety.
I can't think about anything except what is making me anxious. Sometimes It gets me insomniac.

8. Describe how you respond to each of:
a) stress;
Trouble with sleeping and concentration. I can be pretty nasty with people when I'm under too much stress. Sometimes it gets me motivated.

b) unexpected change;
I usually embrace changes, makes life interesting.

c) conflict.
In discussions, I'll usually maintain my point of view and defend it. If I'm fighting over someting that I don't care too much about, I'll probably give in so I can be left in peace.

9. Describe your orientation to:
a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?
Authority and power seem something pretty silly and mundane to me. We're too insignificant compared to the size of the universe to feel like we deserve either. In a perfect world, we would have authority only over ourselves. I have little respect for people who think of themselves as powerful.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
The humanity in general is too concerned with things of no importance. I wish we could all just look deeper within ourselves. Life is beautiful and sad. I'm not sure we can truly be happy or if we should be happy all the time, maybe we need a little bit of sadness to see the beauty in life. One thing life can't be is dull.

Again, sorry for any english mistakes.

Reactions: Choice

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Reactions: Lunar

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do identify myself with the four description the most, but I also think I could be a two, since sometimes I feel I care too much about the well being of other people and I can be pretty clingy sometimes in romantic relationships. However, I'm not proud of myself.

I am a bit competitive. I have the need to be the best in things that really matter to me and I become pretty annoyed when i identify someone who is better than me. I have some trouble dealing with people that may be more interesting, I feel threatened by them. Maybe it's a 3 wing or just an aspect of 4?

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Read about the differences between Two and Four, then :) 3 wing is a possibility, too. One of the main differences is that 2 is a positive outlook type, while 4 is withdrawn. How do you deal with problems?

Twos and Fours can be confused primarily because they are both Feeling types, and because they both put great emphasis on the ups and downs of their personal relationships. Even with these similarities, however, these two types are seldom mistaken for each other. When they are, it is usually because they are defining the types too narrowly. For instance, some Twos might mistype themselves as Fours if they have been through a depression or have recently been through the end of an important relationship. They may learn that Fours are a depressive type and deduce that since they have been depressed that they are probably Fours. In fact, all nine types can be depressed: feeling sad or alienated in itself is not an indication of being any particular type. Twos may also hear that Fours are romantic, and seeing themselves as romantic mistype themselves. Female Fours who have been reared in traditional or strongly religious environments may identify themselves as Twos, but this is a danger for woman of all types. Some Fours may also have been under stress for a while may similarly recognize many Two-ish behaviors.
Their differences are not difficult to recognize, however. Twos tend to move toward others and engage them, sometimes excessively. Fours tend to withdraw from others, while hoping that others will seek them out. Twos look for people to rescue, Fours look for someone to rescue them. Twos are very aware of others' feelings, but tend to be unaware of their own motivations and needs. Fours are highly attuned to their own emotional states, but can fail to recognize their impact on others, and so forth.
Fours and Twos can both be emotionally expressive, and Fours, like Twos, can experience neediness under stress, but it is Twos, especially those who have artistic inclinations, who are more likely to mistype as Fours than the converse. The principle difference centers around the fact that Twos tend to be focused on others, whereas Fours tend toward self-absorption. Fours are introspective and tend to magnify their perceived flaws whereas Twos tend to have a self-flattering self-image.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'm more on the withdrawn side. My friends with whom I have discussed the enneagram think that I'm a 4, but I heard it's a pretty rare type. I see a lot of people describing themselves as 4s here, and I don't think I'm a lot like them =/ My "uniqueness" is not awesome, it made alienated me from my family and other people my age when I was younger. I tried to blend several times, but always felt like a fraud,still do. I'm an artist, but I'm not that good or original. I don't know, I'm just always very insecure about myself. I'd like to think of myself as a special and interesting person, but I'm probably not.

Are eating disorders associated with any specific type?

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
I think I'm more on the withdrawn side. My friends with whom I have discussed the enneagram think that I'm a 4, but I heard it's a pretty rare type. I see a lot of people describing themselves as 4s here, and I don't think I'm a lot like them =/ My "uniqueness" is not awesome, it made alienated me from my family and other people my age when I was younger. I tried to blend several times, but always felt like a fraud,still do. I'm an artist, but I'm not that good or original. I don't know, I'm just always very insecure about myself. I'd like to think of myself as a special and interesting person, but I'm probably not.
OK. IMO you're a reactive type (4, 6, 8) - you're obviously not an Eight, which leaves 4 and 6. Read about the differences between Fours and Sixes, then - the fact that you're uncomfortable with being different makes me think you're a Six.
http://personalitycafe.com/type-4-forum-individualist/55872-difference-4-6-pattern.html

Are eating disorders associated with any specific type?
I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I do identify myself with the four description the most, but I also think I could be a two, since sometimes I feel I care too much about the well being of other people and I can be pretty clingy sometimes in romantic relationships. However, I'm not proud of myself.

I am a bit competitive. I have the need to be the best in things that really matter to me and I become pretty annoyed when i identify someone who is better than me. I have some trouble dealing with people that may be more interesting, I feel threatened by them. Maybe it's a 3 wing or just an aspect of 4?
Type 4 disintegrates into type 2, they then indeed become clingy. Makes total sense. 4 integrates into type 1. You're type 4w3 :)

Reactions: Liontiger and Lunar

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't want to be plain, I just think that part of what makes me feel "different" is not that good. I can't really explain very well, it's not about being uncomfortable with being different, it's about not being what I'd like to be. But I value originality very much, in myself and in other people. But sometimes I feel like an actress, maybe because I tend to dramatize things a little and act in a way to cause certain impression.

4s as image-type are concerned about presenting themselves as authentic (being authentic) and of not showing off an artifical image.
I identify with this, even if it makes me feel bad to admit it, but I'm very concerned about image. I also relate to the "envy" aspect in 4.

I'm now considering a 4w3 or 6w7. Maybe I just don't want to be a 4 XD

Are 6s very intense in their feelings too? When I have emotional issues, I just can't deal with daily activities.

I should be studying for a test right now, btw.

(sorry if there's any english mistake)

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
I don't want to be plain, I just think that part of what makes me feel "different" is not that good. I can't really explain very well, it's not about being uncomfortable with being different, it's about not being what I'd like to be. But I value originality very much, in myself and in other people. But sometimes I feel like an actress, maybe because I tend to dramatize things a little and act in a way to cause certain impression.
That points to an image type, yes.

Are 6s very intense in their feelings too? When I have emotional issues, I just can't deal with daily activities.
They may be very intense, especially if Sx-first. It's entirely possible that you have both 4 and 6 in your tritype, but right now, IMO, you should focus on your core type. Take your time. Read about differences between 4 and 6, avoid stereotypes. Look at both 4 forum and 6 forum.

In my not so humble opinion, 4w3 is more likely than 6w7 in your case, but it's more common for Sixes to mistype as Fours than vice versa. Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I do believe I am core 4 since the first time I read about each type, I just really want to avoid stereotypes. It seems like people with artistic and melancholic tendencies tend to classify themselves as 4 too fast. I've been to the 4 forum and it seems to me a lot of people there are actually mistyped. I don't want to be all "oooh I'm special and unique I must be a 4". I can clearly see ugly aspects of 4 in me.

I do identify with 6 in some aspects, but I believe I'm driven by emotions much more than by anxiety and I know myself really well. I'm also very atracted to esoterism and misticism, I don't think that is very 6ish considering their skepticism and all, but I could be wrong... I'm also too individualistic to consider myself a person concerned with the "society" and I dont really care about authority figures or tradition.

I think I'm beggining to get a better grasp of each type now, thanks.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
In my not so humble opinion, 4w3 is more likely than 6w7 in your case, but it's more common for Sixes to mistype as Fours than vice versa. Good luck!
:laughing:
I find this really funny. All (ok... maybe not all) 6w7s feel deeply misunderstood if you tell them they're not a 4 or a 5 or at least a 7...or maybe a 9...?... yeah, but mostly 4... :laughing: :wink:

But I agree that you don't seem to be a 6w7 but a 4. But I didn't read all of what you wrote so I'm not 100% sure about your wing. Though 4w3 is possible and likely because of that 4w3/6w7 common mistype issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I can see why the mistype occurs. I also only had a pretty superficial knowledge about 6, but I read a lot about it today and now it seems unlikely to me that it's my core type. While six are always described as suspicious, I can assume something as truth very easily based only in emotional appeal. Though, again, I may be stereotyping...

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Yes, I can see why the mistype occurs. I also only had a pretty superficial knowledge about 6, but I read a lot about it today and now it seems unlikely to me that it's my core type. While six are always described as suspicious, I can assume something as truth very easily based only in emotional appeal. Though, again, I may be stereotyping...
6w7s are not so much suspicious. I think suspicion is of more a 6w5 thing. But what 6w7s do is that they question almost anything. And that they're - at least - open for the possibility that they might be wrong and and then try to find a better truth, are content with it for a while, question that "truth" again, find another truth (or the previous truth) etc. 6w7s have to learn to trust (in) themselves. And 6w5s have to learn to trust (in) others... basically. Just an over-simplification. But kinda true.

While almost every single one of the type 6 descriptions is crappy, stereotypical and doesn't apply to 6w7s I still don't think that 6w7 could possibly be your core. :wink: Could be your head fix though...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I believe my tritype is something like 4w3 - 6w7 - 9w1

Reactions: PlushWitch
1 - 14 of 14 Posts