Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm a 21 year old female who is interested in learning more about my personality type. I consider myself as being like 60 % introverted and 40 % extraverted. The cognitive functions-test says that my dominate function is Fi. I would like to get my qualitative answers analyzed to get more input.

Scenario 1
Your significant other just ended your 2 year relationship quite suddenly and with no apparent explanation. Up until this point you had both been talking about marriage and last week you even went to look at rings together. Now he/she won't even return your phone calls or texts. After talking with his/her family you find out that he/she has just been diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer.

- Describe how this scenario would make you feel as well as what sort of influences and motivations lie behind those feelings. Why do you feel the way you do?

- In this scenario what would you honestly say the primary focus of your feelings would be?

First, I would be very confused by my partner leaving me so sudden. I would be full of wonder and feel an immediate sense of wanting to discuss and fully understand the decision. After hearing about the diagnosis I think I would feel confusion and panic. Why I would feel so much confusion in this situation is because both of the news is very chocking and hard to interpret. In times when I don’t feel I have control and understand the things happening around me I usually get very stressed out and feel like I have to solve it RIGHT NOW. I would feel an intense need of being with my partner and show him that I’m not done before I’m informed about what is going on and why he wants to leave me. I don’t think I could accept cancer for a reason since I have a strong belief in regardless love unaffected by physical circumstances.

Scenario 2
You are in college and this semester both you and your roommate end up in the same class together. You and your roommate get along fairly well and the living situation works but you aren't particularly close. You both typically do your own thing and are rather indifferent to each other. As the semester progresses you excel and become one of the top students in the class whereas your roommate is struggling significantly to grasp the material. The professor assigns a fairly challenging take home test that is a significant portion of your grade. He/she makes it clear that while it is open book, students are to work alone. Later your roommate comes to you begging for help after struggling with the test most of the weekend. You have already completed the assignment and he/she isn't asking to copy your answers, just to help tutor and mentor them as they struggle to complete the test, so there is no way your professor would ever know. However, this is the first time your room-mate has asked you for help this semester. He/she makes it clear that how they do on this test could mean the difference between passing and failing this class.

- How do you respond to your roommate’s request and why?

- What sort of things in this scenario stand out to you as far as having a strong influence on your decision making and why?

- Describe the flow of your decision making process.

I would say “no problem” without a need to deliberate my decision. I think, I would have helped my roommate even if he/she has asked me many times before so I can’t say I count in the fact that he/she has never asked me before. I’m a very generous person who is often offering my help when I notice someone’s in need. I don’t consider it as a favor that needs to be repaid or such. I like to spread my knowledge and competence and I feel it makes me feel good as well.
Scenario 3
Your boss calls you into his/her office in order to assign you to a new project. He/she gives you a choice between two.

Project 1 is a rather broad, expansive project covering multiple areas of company operations. It has the potential to have a very significant impact on company operations but it would require a collective effort and an extensive amount of group work where you would be logically thinking through the project together with the group of individuals your boss has also assigned to it.

Project 2 has a much more specific and narrow focus and would require a significant amount of in depth individual analysis to work through the problem. You would be working alone and the completion of the project may or may not have much impact on company operations. However, after complete the process and problem you were working on will be streamlined and fundamentally understood.

- Which project appeals to you the most, as it relates to the way you prefer to logically process information? Why?

- What sort of things in this scenario, across either project, stood out to you as having a strong influence on your decision? Why?

I would choose project 2 since it requires a deep individual analysis which is something I like to engage myself in professionally (and personally sometimes). The fact that it won’t directly lead to a big impact on company operations would give me a sense of challenge as I would be willing to make something huge on my own. If the work gets done successfully as it use to get when I’m working I could take a lot of pride in having done it myself, something I would not be able to do if I had done it together with a group.
Scenario 4
Your college professor has assigned you to a group project with 3 other individuals. All 3 of these individuals have a good strong work ethic and desire to contribute to the overall success of this project. You are at the first meeting of your group and the other members are tossing around valuable ideas as to the nature and direction of this project.

- Describe your behavior in this situation as you process and think about the ideas they are presenting.

- Describe what major influences drive this behavior.

I would feel frustrated with having to come to an agreement in which ideas are the best etc. When starting a project, I usually feel a stream of ideas coming into my head and a desire to put them into practice without considering them. In a group situation I find it harder because I have to pay attention to the ideas of others. If the other group members tend to be less ambitious and secure of what they want to get out of the project I usually take the lead and get others to do it my way. In this scenario they’re contra wisely described as very ambitious which would it uncomfortable for me to take a leader roll. Since I feel it would take too much energy in trying to convince them about my ideas I would rather sit back and let them lead, still having a watching eye over the process to make sure the work gets properly done.

Scenario 5
It has been a very long week and you feel mentally and emotionally drained, but good news! It is Saturday and you have nothing significant that needs to be done. You FINALLY have some free time to yourself to recharge your batteries and do whatever you want.

- Describe what sort of activities would help you to recharge. What would you enjoy doing after a long week and why?

- What sort of things do you feel you draw non-physical energy from doing?

I would like to stay home with a close friend, ordering pizza, drink wine and watch a good movie. It has to be a very close friend that I’m comfortable relaxing with. I usually like to cook good meals and such in the weekends but if I feel mentally and emotionally drained I would find it more relaxing to skip the thinking processes which are involved in planning meals and so on. Drink wine and watch a movie usually helps me relax a lot.

Scenario 6
You have a meeting with your college career counselor to discuss potential careers that interest you. He/she offers you a list of the following careers and asks you to pick your TOP 3. He/she asks you to take money out of the equation. Imagine all of these careers received equal compensation. Focus instead on where you would truly feel most happy and fulfilled.

Artist, Scientist, Actor, Engineer, Musician, Lawyer, Counselor, Entrepreneur, Teacher, Manager, Psychologist, Computer Programmer / Analyst, Clergy, Child Care, Medical Doctor

- What were your top 3 choices and what aspects of these careers appeal to you?

- Was it difficult or easy to pick only 3 and why?

- Prioritize the aspects of your career choices that influenced your decision, what things mattered most to you, where do you imagine finding the most fulfillment and why?

I choose:
Psychologist
Medical Doctor
Teacher

Psychologist is actually something I’m planning to be so that was an easy choice to me. I’m drawn to the complex system of the human mind and behavior and I love the analyzing process when it comes to reach an understanding to what’s causing certain psychological phenomenon.

A medical doctor because I can find much interest in the human anatomy as well and I like the thought of an important profession which seeks to “make good” in the world. Even in this profession I would be able to use my analytic interest.

Teacher because I think it is fun to help and solve problem for people. I find it engaging to see how my guiding and explanations can lead to a deeper understanding among others. I also like to discuss my own knowledge and talk about what I find interesting which I would be able to do all day long in this profession.
I don’t think it was hard to make a range of these professions since I spend a lot of time reflecting on which fields’ suits me in life.

Scenario 7
Click on the image below and pay close attention to the things that jump out to you, objects, thoughts, feelings, impressions, ideas etc. What do you see?

paintedcanyon1fb.jpg
- Describe the main things that stand out to you in this picture.

- Why do you think/feel you focused on those things?

- Describe the strength with which this photo did or did not appeal to you and why?

I see the mountains’ very clear and intense in the picture. After that I see the green trees below clearly too. I think I see the mountains’ clearly because they seem very powerful, the light is also shining on them like saying the sun is shining outside that dark cave. The green trees’ is also symbolizing light and life to me – a big contrast against the rest of the picture which is very dark and full of despair.
I would say the intense from 1-10 is like 6. The emotions doesn’t hit me directly by the first impression but after doing the first task which required me to really think about what was standing out it really awoke a dark feeling with a sense of hope in it.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Hello, I'm a 21 year old female who is interested in learning more about my personality type. I consider myself as being like 60 % introverted and 40 % extraverted. The cognitive functions-test says that my dominate function is Fi. I would like to get my qualitative answers analyzed to get more input.
First off, Thanks for trying my questionnaire! I'll do my best to see what I can get out of this. For my own personal curiosity may I ask why you chose this one? I'm also curious how the rest of the functions came out on the cognitive functions test as far as strength.

I don’t think I could accept cancer for a reason since I have a strong belief in regardless love unaffected by physical circumstances.
Most of what you wrote could go either way for Fe or Fi but this last sentence spoke a bit more towards subjective Fi value judments.

I’m a very generous person who is often offering my help when I notice someone’s in need. I don’t consider it as a favor that needs to be repaid or such.
Why are you generous? What influences/motivates this behavior?

I like to spread my knowledge and competence and I feel it makes me feel good as well.
This could also be related to a subjective Fi value placed on spreading knowledge and competence. Why does it make you feel good?

I would choose project 2 since it requires a deep individual analysis which is something I like to engage myself in professionally (and personally sometimes).
Initially this seems like possible Ti but tell me why you like to pursue deep individual analysis. What is the purpose and point for you when you engage this sort of activity?

The fact that it won’t directly lead to a big impact on company operations would give me a sense of challenge as I would be willing to make something huge on my own. If the work gets done successfully as it use to get when I’m working I could take a lot of pride in having done it myself, something I would not be able to do if I had done it together with a group.
Might indicate Te as well as an Fi influence on it. Sort of an "Oh really? Not a big impact? Well we'll see about that. Just watch what I can do!" sort of attitude. Am I right?

I would feel frustrated with having to come to an agreement in which ideas are the best etc.
This speaks to an internal subjective Ni focus on valuing ideas... possibly also connected to Fi value judgments.

When starting a project, I usually feel a stream of ideas coming into my head and a desire to put them into practice without considering them.
Ni / Te: You place internal value on your ideas and are eager to see the external evidence of them. ie: "OH! I have an idea! Now lets run an experiement on it!" Is this accurate?

In a group situation I find it harder because I have to pay attention to the ideas of others. If the other group members tend to be less ambitious and secure of what they want to get out of the project I usually take the lead and get others to do it my way.
Sounds like a very Te way to get things logically organized and present your own ideas.

In this scenario they’re contra wisely described as very ambitious which would it uncomfortable for me to take a leader roll. Since I feel it would take too much energy in trying to convince them about my ideas I would rather sit back and let them lead, still having a watching eye over the process to make sure the work gets properly done.
How would you respond, thoughts / feelings etc, if your ideas were rejected by the group?

I would like to stay home with a close friend, ordering pizza, drink wine and watch a good movie. It has to be a very close friend that I’m comfortable relaxing with. I usually like to cook good meals and such in the weekends but if I feel mentally and emotionally drained I would find it more relaxing to skip the thinking processes which are involved in planning meals and so on. Drink wine and watch a movie usually helps me relax a lot.
Seems fairly introverted but not too extreme. Define what you mean by "comfortable relaxing with". What would make you feel comfortable relaxing with someone? Also the bold statement is another case for Te, seems your thinking process is extroverted and not internally self generating.

Psychologist
Medical Doctor
Teacher

Psychologist is actually something I’m planning to be so that was an easy choice to me. I’m drawn to the complex system of the human mind and behavior and I love the analyzing process when it comes to reach an understanding to what’s causing certain psychological phenomenon.
What is the purpose and point for reaching an understanding of this for you?

A medical doctor because I can find much interest in the human anatomy as well and I like the thought of an important profession which seeks to “make good” in the world. Even in this profession I would be able to use my analytic interest.

Teacher because I think it is fun to help and solve problem for people. I find it engaging to see how my guiding and explanations can lead to a deeper understanding among others. I also like to discuss my own knowledge and talk about what I find interesting which I would be able to do all day long in this profession.
I don’t think it was hard to make a range of these professions since I spend a lot of time reflecting on which fields’ suits me in life.
I find it very interesting that you came out with dominant Fi on the cognitive functions test. I am getting a much stronger analytical T focus here. How close was Te and Ti to Fi?

I see the mountains’ very clear and intense in the picture. After that I see the green trees below clearly too. I think I see the mountains’ clearly because they seem very powerful, the light is also shining on them like saying the sun is shining outside that dark cave. The green trees’ is also symbolizing light and life to me – a big contrast against the rest of the picture which is very dark and full of despair.
I would say the intense from 1-10 is like 6. The emotions doesn’t hit me directly by the first impression but after doing the first task which required me to really think about what was standing out it really awoke a dark feeling with a sense of hope in it.
Hrm, I would probably say you have a bit stronger S influence here vs N influence. I am torn here whether this is Si coming through in subjectively relating the objects to what they mean and symbolize to you... or if this is Se seeing the actual object but with a bit of an Ni influence on possibility and meaning. I'm leaning toward the latter due to how you initially described the actual object you saw and then interpereted the symbolism of it. Also what I thought I picked up earlier on the subjective value you place on your own ideas leads me more to this possibility too.

Stronger Se over Ni would probably indicate an aux/tert pairing since you seem a bit more of an introvert. It would also fit with having primary Fi although I am having a hard time resolving the analytical T focus that I see coming out throughout the scenarios. That said, the inferior function does tend to play a large role in career choice. So pending answers to the clarifying questions I asked. I am leaning towards ISFP at this point (Fi - Se - Ni - Te)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, Thanks for trying my questionnaire! I'll do my best to see what I can get out of this. For my own personal curiosity may I ask why you chose this one? I'm also curious how the rest of the functions came out on the cognitive functions test as far as strength.
Hmm I don't really know, I was recommended this questionnaire by a friend and I didn't have patience enough to read through all of the existing ones.
This was the detailed results on the cognitive functions test:
Introverted Feeling (Fi) ||||||||||||||||||||||||| 11.94
Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||| 7.545
Extroverted Sensation (Se) ||||||||||||||| 6.57
Introverted Thinking (Ti) |||||||||||||| 6.45
Introverted Sensation (Si) ||||||||||||| 5.93
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) ||||||||||||| 5.725
Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||||||||||||| 5.55
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) |||| 1.19

Why are you generous? What influences/motivates this behavior?
I never really thought about it, I can't say I have a outhought motive for it. It just feels right. In times when I see a friend in need and I know I can help I would feel ashamed if I didn't offer my help. I would feel selfish and if I wouldn't be able to help I have to say something like "I really wish I could help you". I know that in the past this "altruistic" side of myself have been used by others and I've been forcing myself to confront these people to make it stop. Nowadays I've learned more and more to not let other take my help for granted, but I'm still glad to help people and a bit unused to see how grateful and happy people can get by the help I'm giving.

This could also be related to a subjective Fi value placed on spreading knowledge and competence. Why does it make you feel good?
It makes me proud to see that my guiding can affect people and I really appreciate to be taken seriously and looked up to.

Initially this seems like possible Ti but tell me why you like to pursue deep individual analysis. What is the purpose and point for you when you engage this sort of activity?
It's like an excitement for the whole process, from beginning to end. I get fascinated and thrilled about having this huge "problem" in front of me and I often start with a vision how the problem will get smaller and smaller. And this vision gets me excited, stressed and very eager to start. I can compare it to my excitement when it comes to cleaning a very very dirty place and then sit back and watch how clean it is. It's a satisfaction.

Might indicate Te as well as an Fi influence on it. Sort of an "Oh really? Not a big impact? Well we'll see about that. Just watch what I can do!" sort of attitude. Am I right?
Yes, I agree. I'm very confident in what I'm doing and I like to show others what I can do.

Ni / Te: You place internal value on your ideas and are eager to see the external evidence of them. ie: "OH! I have an idea! Now lets run an experiement on it!" Is this accurate?
Yes, I quickly get a vision of how my idea will work through the whole process and I just can see how it will work and how it's relevant, effective and logical.

How would you respond, thoughts / feelings etc, if your ideas were rejected by the group?
If they rejected them I would try to explain why they will work step by step and how they are relevant to our assignment. Usually people tend to be on my side in this but if they still argue against it I won't start a fight. But I would lose much of my genuine entusiasm for the project if the ideas of others will lead the way.

Seems fairly introverted but not too extreme. Define what you mean by "comfortable relaxing with". What would make you feel comfortable relaxing with someone? Also the bold statement is another case for Te, seems your thinking process is extroverted and not internally self generating.
I mean someone that I know enough to be myself with and that is someone I feel I don't need to entertain or making comfortable in my company. If I want to be quiet, I can be quiet, if I want to make a funny comment about the movie I'll do it without having to think about how the person will recieve my way to interact.

What is the purpose and point for reaching an understanding of this for you?
It's because I think it's a wise purpose, to be a part in the process of making the world a better place. I also have a genuine inner motivation for the subject itself as I often reflect on my own behavior and thoughts and my own relation to my emotions. I think a deeper understanding for this is one way to get a greater picture on how the world works. Often when I've learned a theory or something like that I feel I can put it into many situations and contexts in the world which creates a pattern where I can see "how everything gets around". I feel a great satisfaction in just understanding some sort of phenomenon or situation on a deeper level, which I can learn in the field of Psychology.

Hrm, I would probably say you have a bit stronger S influence here vs N influence. I am torn here whether this is Si coming through in subjectively relating the objects to what they mean and symbolize to you... or if this is Se seeing the actual object but with a bit of an Ni influence on possibility and meaning. I'm leaning toward the latter due to how you initially described the actual object you saw and then interpereted the symbolism of it. Also what I thought I picked up earlier on the subjective value you place on your own ideas leads me more to this possibility too.

Stronger Se over Ni would probably indicate an aux/tert pairing since you seem a bit more of an introvert. It would also fit with having primary Fi although I am having a hard time resolving the analytical T focus that I see coming out throughout the scenarios. That said, the inferior function does tend to play a large role in career choice. So pending answers to the clarifying questions I asked. I am leaning towards ISFP at this point (Fi - Se - Ni - Te)
It's very interesting that you're thinking about ISFP since the cognitive functions test says the same:
Based on your cognitive functions, your type is most likely:
Most Likely: ISFP
or Second Possibility: INFJ
or Third Possibility: ESFP

Thank you for your answer, I will try to read more about these types and see in which one I can find a sense of belonging.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
This was the detailed results on the cognitive functions test:
Introverted Feeling (Fi) ||||||||||||||||||||||||| 11.94
Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||| 7.545
Extroverted Sensation (Se) ||||||||||||||| 6.57
Introverted Thinking (Ti) |||||||||||||| 6.45
Introverted Sensation (Si) ||||||||||||| 5.93
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) ||||||||||||| 5.725
Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||||||||||||| 5.55
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) |||| 1.19
Interesting, it does seem to line up with ISFP rather well.

I never really thought about it, I can't say I have a outhought motive for it. It just feels right. In times when I see a friend in need and I know I can help I would feel ashamed if I didn't offer my help. I would feel selfish and if I wouldn't be able to help I have to say something like "I really wish I could help you". I know that in the past this "altruistic" side of myself have been used by others and I've been forcing myself to confront these people to make it stop. Nowadays I've learned more and more to not let other take my help for granted, but I'm still glad to help people and a bit unused to see how grateful and happy people can get by the help I'm giving.
Clear inward subjective focus, definite Fi.

It makes me proud to see that my guiding can affect people and I really appreciate to be taken seriously and looked up to.
Yep, Fi influence on this.

It's like an excitement for the whole process, from beginning to end. I get fascinated and thrilled about having this huge "problem" in front of me and I often start with a vision how the problem will get smaller and smaller. And this vision gets me excited, stressed and very eager to start. I can compare it to my excitement when it comes to cleaning a very very dirty place and then sit back and watch how clean it is. It's a satisfaction.
Very strong Fi / Ni connection here. Makes sense why tertiary Ni scored slightly higher than Se on the cognitive functions test... it is linked internally to very strong dominant Fi... aaaand there's the Se at the end lol.

Yes, I agree. I'm very confident in what I'm doing and I like to show others what I can do.
As I suspected, not Ti, inferior Te's desire for relevance and impact is still there but this choice is strongly influenced and driven by Fi/Ni.

Yes, I quickly get a vision of how my idea will work through the whole process and I just can see how it will work and how it's relevant, effective and logical.
Yep, Ni / Te

If they rejected them I would try to explain why they will work step by step and how they are relevant to our assignment. Usually people tend to be on my side in this but if they still argue against it I won't start a fight. But I would lose much of my genuine entusiasm for the project if the ideas of others will lead the way.
Again Fi driven Ni with a Te influence

I mean someone that I know enough to be myself and that is someone I feel I don't need to entertain or making comfortable in my company. If I want to be quiet, I can be quiet, if I want to make a funny comment about the movie I'll do it without having to think about how the person will recieve my way to interact.
VERY clear Fi here... Self expression... just want to be your natural self... extroverted F drains you.

It's because I think it's a wise purpose, to be a part in the process of making the world a better place. I also have a genuine inner motivation for the subject itself as I often reflect on my own behavior and thoughts and my own relation to my emotions. I think a deeper understanding for this is one way to get a greater picture on how the world works. Often when I've learned a theory or something like that I feel I can put it into many situations and contexts in the world which creates a pattern where I can see "how everything gets around". I feel a great satisfaction in just understanding some sort of phenomenon or situation on a deeper level, which I can learn in the field of Psychology.
This is interesting because by itself the bold comment seems like Ti, however when I factor in everything else it seems like Fi / Ni with inferior Te sort of mimics Ti a bit. Inferior Te's influence is still evident though in having relevance and impact. An Fi / Ni combo mimicing Ti could also explain why Te scored slightly lower on the cognitive functions test.

It's very interesting that you're thinking about ISFP since the cognitive functions test says the same:
Based on your cognitive functions, your type is most likely:
Most Likely: ISFP
or Second Possibility: INFJ
or Third Possibility: ESFP

Thank you for your answer, I will try to read more about these types and see in which one I can find a sense of belonging.
I find that very interesting and quite satisfying too actually. Makes me feel like my test has been validated and I'm STOKED! lol. Thanks for using it and I hope you liked it! I also hope ISFP feels like it fits you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts