Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering myself an INFJ for a while - it was the first result that I got when taking the 16personalities test, but a number of things have made me doubt my INFJ-ness. I've considered ENFJ or ENFP, or even INFP. This has been bothering me for a couple of days now so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

16, female. The only special circumstance I can think of is my schooling situation. All my academic life I've been a part of an accelerated program and the majority of my peers/people I've interacted with have been extremely driven and studious. I really haven't been exposed to the typical high school lifestyle which may be impacting my actions.

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?

For sure. I really like the high contrast and darker tones, as well as the hints of purple and green. It is overall very soothing and looks like a place I would love to visit.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

I like to think of myself as very thoughtful, introspective, and a deep thinker, but also fun-loving and easygoing. I love learning on my own accord outside of school, especially on subjects that help me better understand myself and others, which explains why I'm so attracted to typology and psychology. Whenever I begin exploring a certain topic, I will seldom stop until I feel I've developed a thorough understanding of it. It actually kinda irks me when I start learning something but don't really "get" it, leading me to easily obsess over a certain subject for a period of time. I seek to find a greater meaning in everything. While I do spend a lot of time learning on my own, whether it be science or an instrument, I also enjoy going out and experiencing the world, either by myself or with my closest friends. Especially when I'm feeling stressed or I need to clear my head, nothing helps more than going out to a concert, a solitary drive with nothing but scenery and loud music, exploring a bookstore, or a trip to my favorite coffeeshop. I consider myself to be adventurous - I love to experience new things, learn about people and cultures, and want to take a gap year at some point to travel through Europe by myself. I am also very good at communicating with people on a one to one basis or through writing. Genuine, deep, intellectual small group or one on one discussions really energize me but larger seminars actually make me nervous. I enjoy helping others and giving back.

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

I want to be comfortably with who I am and know what I want out of my life, but at the same time look for ways to better myself and the situation of others. I have definitely become more confident and comfortable with myself in the past couple of years, which I'm super happy with. I want to learn to act and make decisions on my own accord, without worrying or taking into consideration the opinion of others, while not losing the part of me that cares for the wellbeing of the people I care about. I don't want to sweat the small stuff, be unnecessarily stressed, or lose my greater sense of purpose in life.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

Different people in my life definitely perceive me very differently. For most people in my life (acquaintances) I probably seem quietly confident, very friendly, but kind of distant and aloof. I probably give off an ISTP/ISFP vibe at school, and multiple people have told me that I'm actually quite intimidating despite being a petite Asian teenage girl. Words that have been used to describe me include badass, cute, mysterious, happy, warm, etc. It's actually quite a mixed bag. A lot of people don't put in effort to get to know me, whether or not they're intrigued, because I don't actively seek to make new connections - I'm incredibly self-sufficient. I'm hard to get to know in that way, but once someone actually begins to talk to me I've been told that I am a good conversationist, easy-going, wise, witty, and genuinely caring. I can read others very well but it seems like people don't really know what to make of me. For those in my most intimate circle, I'm not afraid to be completely goofy and adventurous. I'm always up for a good time, and it surprises some people when my closest friends (whom I can count on one hand) describe me as being a complete weirdo with little to no inhibitions.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

Exploration, depth, connection, warmth, and happiness. Some others that didn't make the cut include adventure, kindness, charm, elegance, and learning. I really need the things I do in my life to be meaningful. I want to help myself and others, experience joy and positivity, make deep connections with people, gain insight and knowledge, etc.

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

I went to a long, away from home camp for the first time recently and it was nerve-wracking at first. I was relatively reluctant to meet so many new people at once and so quickly, but also a little excited. I did my best to be friendly, open-minded, and adapt to my environment. At the end, I met some wonderful people and made some really great connections and I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone a little.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

Under a lot of stress I'm prone to making reckless decisions and overindulging. I stop thinking and start doing, especially when the source of stress is school-related I will refuse to use my head. I remember once, the night before a huge English project was due, I impulsively drove for half an hour, nearly in the middle of the night, for coffee in the city.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I love making plans and imagining myself in the future and all the things I'm going to do. Thinking about the future is a lot of fun for me, such as making travel plans. I also really like spending time by myself with my thoughts and a goof book and music, such as in bookstores or cafes. I also enjoy being with my best friends exploring new places and being completely myself, laughing and being carefree, living in the moment.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

I definitely enjoy one-on-one and smaller, intimate group interactions. I have moments of extreme extroversion where I can initiate conversation and enjoy myself in a big group, but those are rare. The only large crowds or parties I truly enjoy are ones involving dancing so I don't really have to worry about interacting too much. I would be perfectly content with only having a number of very close friends with whom I share a deep connection. I also need a lot of time alone to think and recharge, whether it be at home or out trying something new. Despite all of this, a lot of people mistake me for an extrovert because I can be very friendly, warm, and energetic and enthusiastic, especially in situations where I am comfortable. This is the main reason, along with my thirst for adventure, that I doubt my INFJ-ness.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

I find it important for people to be tolerant of one another, try to see things from the perspectives of others, and overall be as warm and friendly as possible. I think these kinds of social norms are important in order for people to be comfortable and respected. However, I'm definitely not a stickler for traditions, especially when they get in the way of innovation and progress.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

I think in some and situations, some of the time, when there is authority or hierarchy in place, the intentions are good and they're there for a reason. However, meaningless authority and structure really frustrate me. I have a hard time dealing with politics and such. I prefer my autonomy and intellectual freedom especially. Most of the time, though, I just deal with authority figures because I find it easier to do so than rub up against the system.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

I definitely need order and structure. While a lot of people can see me as spontaneous because I can enjoy going out and having fun on a whim, but I only do so if it doesn't impact my long-term plans and I have the important things done. I've always been super organized. I make lists and lists and my planners are filled with to-dos. When I'm busy and have a lot of stuff to get done, I need order and to know what I'm doing. I can only deal with chaos when it's concerning things I don't find important. For example, chaos at a party is fine with me until there's conflict and feelings getting hurt.

14. What is it that you fear in life?

I fear being unsatisfied with my life. I fear being unloved, unappreciated, directionless, and purposeless. I fear not being able to do what I love.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

I feel like I would be repeating myself at this point. I think my answers to 4 and 6 basically cover it.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

a) Spending time by myself or with the people I love having genuine, intellectual conversations, or being out and about exploring new places and experiences things.
b) Interacting with people I don't find interesting. I really don't mean that in an arrogant way, but it's genuinely draining. Also, mundane tasks and routine.

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

I really want to know myself better and I just don't like not knowing my type, especially being as into MBTI as a I am. I'm always looking for a clearer sense of my identity. I've always admired the ENFJ/ENFP types but I think I lack the energy and charisma most of them possess. I definitely think my zeal and love for life are there though.

My enneagram is most likely 9w1 4w5 7w6. The 7w6 and 4w5 might be switched though.

18. Finally, is there something else you find to be of importance you want to add about yourself you think might be of relevance when helping to type you?

I don't think so! My functions are as such though:

Extroverted Feeling (Fe) |||||||||||||||||||||| 10.22
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) ||||||||||||||||||||| 9.88
Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||||| 8.545
Introverted Thinking (Ti) ||||||||||||||||| 7.99
Extroverted Thinking (Te) |||||||||||||||| 7.16
Extroverted Sensation (Se) ||||||||||||||| 6.8
Introverted Feeling (Fi) ||||||||||| 4.94
Introverted Sensation (Si) ||||| 1.54

Thank you again if you've made it this far!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I was going to say INFJ.

To me, there's a lot point away from dominant Ne--your attitude toward authority, your need for order and structure, nonchalance toward tradition, respect for social norms, focus on the far future. The description of stress is exactly what low level/inferior Se looks like. I also see Fe-Ti, not Fi-Te in your thinking. I definitely think you're an introvert as well--there's a lot in your answers that suggests barriers between your cognition and presentation to the outside world.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Okay...I don't know if this is the right answer, but...you might want to keep all the options in your head for a while...for a few years, perhaps. When I was 16, I knew I was an NF (well, I knew that when I was five), but you can go through a lot of development in your age bracket. I don't mean this in a condescending way at all...it's an amazing opportunity to stay open and be yourself and see how you develop over the next few years. Your frontal lobe does not even finish developing till your early twenties. It makes sense if you don't know exactly what your type is yet. You seem more introverted than not. But again, in my experience, people can come out of their shells when they get into their twenties. It would be interesting to think about what your type might be now, then in ten years assess again and see what fits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts