Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading discussions on the other sub forums and people seem to think that personality types are developed somewhat unconsciously at a very young age and parents/ family only somewhat develop someone's personality type.

I would agree that humanity probably choose a type at a young age and stick with it and grow with it. If something happens, it may alter but they'll always try to get back to it.

My situation being that I was the child of an older Jamaican man and a white English woman, so I am mixed race. I also have an older sister.

My father was what you would call an extreme extrovert, he was known around the town I live in as 'the life and soul of the party'. He worked in the Air Force, he was extremely ambitious and driven and was admired by many, many people. Unfortunatly he was alot older than my mother, who is a much, quieter person.

Unforunately, when I was aged 7, he died. Leaving my mum to raise two kids on her own. She, unfortunatly didn't work, since she relied on my dad.

Me as a person, were always much more like my father, I was loud, fun, talkative, funny and was interested in drama, that was before he died. Growing up in my teen years however, I became an extreme introvert. Not having my dad around to look up to to show me it's okay to be a confident, ambitious man I went in a shell. I developed social fear and stuck to my ideals. My sister tried to BE my father in a sense, being the one who is apparently stronger and more in touch with reality than the rest of us, while my mother does nothing. Well she keeps things in order but mostly complains. She has a very fragile persona and it's hard to take her seriously. She seems ISTJ, has a one track mind.

At this point I don't know what to do. I feel as though I cannot move on with my life with things being the way they are. I have nothing to fall back on. No-one to support me. I have slight ADD at times and just KNOW if there was someone there to support me I could be the fun, confident, driven person I'm supposed to be, I don't know if that's ESFP or ENFJ, I'm thinking ESFP, but I have become so intutive, working things out for myself that I could never 'go back' to being an ESFP, which is what I think I was before my dad passed away.

I like the idea of making people smile and living in the moment (ESFP) but I like my analytical persona, high ideals and imagination (INFP) but I also like to be warm, funny, expressive and open (ENFJ).

So now, I DON'T KNOW what to do, what to be and what my next step is. I often feel like I can't do anything without someone else looking out for me. When I DO do things on my own I procrasinate and am not focused enough. Help!!!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Participate and post a pic in this thread for further examination.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@WarriorDreamer Here's my advice.

Step 1: Get rid of thoughts involving stereotypes. I see a lot of them in your post sadly.
You do? Where do you see them in the post because that would be greatly helpful. Is stereotyping truely a bad thing to do because I never knew I did it, as soon as people point things out to me it really helps to see things more clearly. I didn't think I stereotyped but if I did it would most likely be because I do writing and I create big characters and must somehow see human beings as characters too at times. :/ Sometimes I feel the writing I do gets in the way of my real life.

I hope you can get rid of your confusion soon. =)
So do I. :)

·
Banned
600 Posts
You do? Where do you see them in the post because that would be greatly helpful. Is stereotyping truely a bad thing to do because I never knew I did it, as soon as people point things out to me it really helps to see things more clearly. I didn't think I stereotyped but if I did it would most likely be because I do writing and I create big characters and must somehow see human beings as characters too at times. :/ Sometimes I feel the writing I do gets in the way of my real life.
This is what I'm referring to.

She seems ISTJ, has a one track mind.

I could be the fun, confident, driven person I'm supposed to be, I don't know if that's ESFP or ENFJ, I'm thinking ESFP, but I have become so intutive, working things out for myself that I could never 'go back' to being an ESFP, which is what I think I was before my dad passed away.

I like the idea of making people smile and living in the moment (ESFP) but I like my analytical persona, high ideals and imagination (INFP) but I also like to be warm, funny, expressive and open (ENFJ).
You seem to have preconceived ideas of how each type thinks and acts and that may make it quite hard for you to figure out your type, as you become biased.

Instead of thinking "How am I supposed to be?" and "Who should I be?", start thinking "Who am I?".

I hope I'm not being harsh, I'm just trying to help.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You seem to have preconceived ideas of how each type thinks and acts and that may make it quite hard for you to figure out your type, as you become biased.

Instead of thinking "How am I supposed to be?" and "Who should I be?", start thinking "Who am I?".

I hope I'm not being harsh, I'm just trying to help.
Well no, I wasn't actually making statements about the personality types saying 'this is what they are', etc. I was just saying sometimes I feel differently about things and it makes more sense to fit in a different personality type because I have different reactions to things and have different functions. Some days I feel like running around dancing and some days I feel like having a quiet in-depth conversation with someone about philosophy. Now I am not saying in anyway that dancing is exclusive to ESFP's or philosophy talks are exlusive to INFP's, anyone can do anything, I'm just saying those are the kind of things you associate those types with the most.

And I was saying sometimes I have mutiple personality disorder where I want to be someone different all the time. I feel I have to adapt to every person otherwise they won't like me.

But yeah, thanks for the advice. I now, in my everyday life stay IN the room more and connect to people better, wheras before I was in my own world and stayed there. I am able to go from one thing to another more these days. I'm trying to balance it all out but it's taken YEARS to get things right.

·
Banned
600 Posts
@WarriorDreamer I understand. I'm simply not recommending that kind of association when trying to type yourself, as it may make you give inaccurate, even dishonest answers.

Unfortunately the only impression I've got so far is related to Enneagram, not to MBTI. I believe you're a 4; I see type 2 in your profile, but it's easy for 4s to mistype as 2s because it's in their direction of disintegration.

Of course, this is just an impression and it could be wrong. It's not even related to the thread. :unsure: Looking forward to your type form and I hope that you try to study the cognitive functions some time!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[MENTION=30482]
Unfortunately the only impression I've got so far is related to Enneagram, not to MBTI. I believe you're a 4; I see type 2 in your profile, but it's easy for 4s to mistype as 2s because it's in their direction of disintegration.
Good guess! Yeah I did the enneagram test and came up as 4! I did a few different ones and came up as 4, I did another one and came up as 9. I did those ones a few times.

I know I shouldn't think of myself as just a 'personality type', but often I feel if I don't belong to something at large like the MBTI, then I belong to nothing. But thannks for your replies. :)

1,636 Posts
yay! we now have your MBTI tri-type :p
joking joking - anyways my dear - according to this we can might say you are a XXFX
http://personalitycafe.com/cognitiv...iled-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html
why don't you try and tell us which functions you believe you are using more or less and then we could help.

ENFJ is Fe driven, INFP is Fi driven, ESFP is Fi aux. driven but Se dominant which would make him probably highly visual person probably and big S type. So basically you need to figure out with what are you driven more. And functions please :)

Reactions: Loveternity
1 - 11 of 11 Posts