Personality Cafe banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help With ENTJ Parent With Unyielding Attitude - Can't Give Up Control?

[ENTJ] 
1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Stratego 
My first question is what makes you so sure she is ENTJ?

Assuming she is:
Youre going to have to try and appeal to her Te.
Im not sure what examples you could provide us concerning what types of arguments/debates you have, but it's my belief that there is a clash because you are using methods in your skill set that she doesn't understand.

A common problem I've had with some INFPs is that debating with them is for me one of the most irritating experiences of any type besides ENFJs/ISFJs.

Reason being is once I see the argument is going sour for them (ie: I have the upper hand), they will pull at straws to get back into a stable place in the debate, even though the straws they pull have little to no relevance in the conversation.
Thus, at that point I get irritated, because instead of continuing the argument using appropriate points, they are just grabbing at whatever they can get.
Thats when I get impatient and begin to think my "opinion as the clearly better one".
Im not implying you do this to your mom, Im just stating what is possible she could be perceiving from her end.

INFPs are Fi Ne Si Te
ENTJs are Te Ni Se Fi

Te being your less used function, it might be best to appeal to it a little more so that she can see you are making your points clear and concise.

Ne is a fickle bitch of a function that I dont use very often and have a hard time understanding, however I think if you can exercise your use of Te and Ne together, perhaps your points will come across more organized to her, and it might be easier to deal with her.
Also, it doesnt help for the ENTJ having Fi the last of the first four functions, and INFPs have theirs as the dominant.

My best advice besides the above is be as rational as you can possibly be so that she is respecting what you provide to the debate.
I hope you guys work it out.
Not fun fighting with your mom all the time. My mother is an ENFJ and we get into horrible arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.