Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two years, I've had a good friend who is an ENTJ and saw I him on a weekly/daily basis. I've had him in several basic classes but I had more with him last year (we are going into different fields). In the one class that I've had him during this semester, he asked for my number for a group project. One day I texted him casually and it took off from there. We would message each other often to the point of staying up past midnight and he would tell me intimate stories. We both talked about how much we enjoyed the playful conversations we had before class and laughed about it. A week ago my friend decided to tell him that I had a crush on him. After that he messaged me asking if it was serious so I called him because I figured this was something too personal for text. I confirmed it and he ignored the subject afterwards. The rest of the conversation was stories about weird dreams and funny incidents. The conversation was long (an hour and 30 minutes) and later that day we discussed it. During our discussion he asked me questions on why I admitted to liking him (responded that I would rather be honest than denying it)and if I wanted it to stay as just a crush. I asked for his opinion on the matter and he said that he liked me back so I told him that we should just go with the flow from here. He agreed and said there was no better time to learn about relationships since we're both rather new to this.

After that he didn't text as much. His answers were shorter and he was less energetic when talking to me. I suggested that we should do something a few days after the call (going out with some of our friends in the near future) and he did not respond/acknowledge the message. A while later we were in the middle of a conversation and he stopped responding. I figured that he needed space at the time. The next day he texted me that he thought that currently it would be best for him now to focus on himself and that he had promised himself earlier on that he wouldn't date at this time. I responded saying that I understood and that I appreciated his honesty and courage to say this. I have not texted him since. Seeing him in class the next day was awkward. Now when I talk to him (small talk because he sits next to me), it's almost as if he's retrograding back to when I first met him. Also, he immediately looks away when he sees me in the hallway.

I have 2 questions:

1) I'm sure his intentions were good, but why did he handle and respond to the situation in that way? I want to understand his point of view.

2) How should I go forward with him? I would like to be friends again but don't know how to proceed.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate all of your feedback!

·
Registered
188 Posts
1) Assuming his reasoning towards why he decided to not pursue this relationship is genuine, he probably behaved the way he did because he perceived continued interactions with you as a potential threat that could make either you or him more attracted to each other.

2) Ask yourself first is it possible to continue interactions with him without sparking any kinds of feelings. It might be that you two do need a little bit of time on it. When you think you guys are capable of resuming a platonic relationship again, being straightforward with him is the best way to get your message across without leaving any ambiguities. A simple "I don't like the way we are interacting right now, because I don't want this momentary crush to get in the way of our friendship, which I value more" would at the very least spark a discussion on his decisions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts