Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've been thinking about making videos on why you shouldn't do drugs. The first video that I'm going to make is mainly about methamphetamine, so I went to a website called drugfreeworld.org and found these short and long term effects. They don't give you anymore information as to how this drug causes these problems, and I'm not just gonna take their word for it. I wanted to also explain how these effects are caused by the drug, so I was wondering if anybody here could help me get the information I need for this video.

I'm doing research myself already, but who knows. Maybe you could give me something I still haven't learned about.:proud:

Here are the effects of what happens when you do meth (so says the website)

SHORT-TERM EFFECTS

Loss of appetite
Increased heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature
Dilation of pupils
Disturbed sleep patterns
Nausea
Bizarre, erratic, sometimes violent behavior
Hallucinations, hyperexcitability, irritability
Panic and psychosis
Convulsions, seizures and death from high doses

LONG-TERM EFFECTS

Permanent damage to blood vessels of heart and brain, high blood pressure leading to heart attacks, strokes and death
Liver, kidney and lung damage
Destruction of tissues in nose if sniffed
Respiratory (breathing) problems if smoked
Infectious diseases and abscesses if injected
Malnutrition, weight loss
Severe tooth decay
Disorientation, apathy, confused exhaustion
Strong psychological dependence
Psychosis
Depression
Damage to the brain similar to Alzheimer’s disease,3 stroke and epilepsy

Thx a bunch

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I've realized the title was not what I wanted it to mean
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha my bad:blushed:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Whats the purpose of this research if you don't mind me for asking?
I didn't do meth so i can't help you with that :p but i'm curious.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The whole purpose of it, is to try and advise people to not do drugs. I'm mainly making the video for my family and friends

·
Registered
132 Posts
Methamphetamine affects the dopamine and serotonin pathways of your brain so researching those and how they regulate your mind and body is probably the best place to start. Then the challenge will be in explaining to a non-scientific audience what these pathways are, why they're important, and why disrupting them with drug use is damaging.

To explain it simply, "pleasurable" activities like eating, quenching thirst, having sex, winning prizes, getting wanted attention, seeing money put in your bank account, and so on trigger a release of dopamine along the pathways of your brain that reinforce the behaviors your perceiving as good/beneficial to you. As the gratifying experience passes, the dopamine is reabsorbed by neurons and the "good feeling" fades, and you're then motivated to seek out another experience to benefit your life, resulting in another release of dopamine. When methamphetamine enters the picture, it causes a release of dopamine as well as keeping the dopamine from being reabsorbed, so you experience a powerful sense of satisfaction/euphoria (the high).

Repeatedly using the drug supplants your normal reward/motivation system, so instead of doing those self-promoting and preserving activities that normally release dopamine, you just keep dosing yourself with the drug and your body suffers the widespread effects of poor diet, lack of hydration, lack of sleep and so on. This also means you generally stop caring about social relationships, friends, your job, making money so you end up in a very poor lifestyle and environment altogether that contributes to deteriorating mental and physical health.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts