Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of truly understanding types and their functions. I am using both my Ni and Fe to do that, but I have a question for you:

How do you personally perceive the difference between thinkers and feelers? I mean, besides the cold definitions given by many websites. How do you view Fs and Ts? Or maybe NFs/Sfs? And NTs/STs?
I would really appreciate your contribution to my personal research. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
a very good definition i've heard is from @pneumoceptor 's Youtube videos. correct me if i'm wrong but the difference between being a thinker or feeler has nothing to do with emotions per say, it's your decision making process. thinkers are inclined to make decisions mostly from the most logical point of view- "what is beneficial logically in this circumstance", whereas feelers will be more comfortable with making value based decisions- "what is more important and in line with my personal values"

·
Registered
56 Posts
I kinda see it as Fs are sensitive people. They are like instruments you barely have to touch to get them to start resonating. Ts are more like drums or something you have to really (sorry this analogy is getting away from me) beat on to get them to respond to things. haha I don't mean that to make it sound like they are doltish because they are the most brilliant people I know. well at least NTs haha. Actually I am most attracted to STs because I envy the enjoyment they get out of life and their resilience.

But seriously Ts can take a pounding in the form of criticism and it makes them better because they don't take it personally. Criticize an F and they melt into a puddle. NFs can take things that aren't even criticism and think of a billion interpretations of what someone is *really* implying (I know this because I do it ALL the time). SFs probably don't read into things as much, but they are still deeply affected by the external world and the presence of conflict or criticism.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Feeling deals with evaluation not with feelings in a strictly emotional sense. Feeling function tells us whether or not we like something, in short. Or whether or not we find it timely or untimely. Or appropriate or inappropriate, etc. Measures for which you can't come to a logical conclusion.

The reason I don't say good vs. bad is because that value judgment might be informed by something other than feeling. You can intellectually conclude that something is good or bad, but it would be tough to intellectually conclude that something was beautiful, for instance. That is, in a nutshell the difference between thinking and feeling. Thinking is the logic of the brain, feeling the logic of the heart.

The other thing is that feeling evaluations should not be mixed up with values as in morality. Feeling and morality are two separate things. A feeling type is not necessarily a more moral person, since morals are dictated most often by external circumstances and social programming. People often mix this up when they say Feeling deals with values, because they think values in the moral sense, not value as in 'something has value or it doesn't.'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.