Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I originally introduced myself on the Introductions board as an INTP, however, after doing a lot more reading and about half a dozen tests I found I got an almost 50/50 split for INTP/INFP. Except one. Which suggested I maybe a INFJ. After reading the descriptions on this board I feel I identify highly with being a 'Logical Feeler' as some have so succinctly put it.

A few things about me that may help with typing.

1. I'm a loner, as my username suggests. I can spend hours or even days by myself before I feel the need for human contact.

2. However, when I'm around people I know very well or share similar interests I can become quite chatty. However, I burn out quickly and usually need more alone time to rejuvenate.

3. I love Philosophy and Psychology and have a curiosity about science, but not really the hard sciences as the call them (physics, math)

4. I love animals and seemed to have affinity to dogs especially. People are always saying "oh, he really seems to like you" when their dog, that I have only recently met, keeps coming back to me.

5. In terms of the masculine/feminine thing, from the outside I appear very masculine (quite big in stature, beard, strong silent type), but probably identify more with females.

6. Another INFJ I identify with is the ability to read people very well. I can tell instantly when someone isn't themself on that particular day.

7. I'm a good listener and frequently find myself playing the role of counselor to my friends and family.

8. I'm messy and hate doing mundane tasks, much to my girlfriends dismay.

9. I've always felt I have a 'higher calling', but have never been able to work out exactly what it is. I hear INFJs say this a lot.

10. I'm quite observant and am constantly noticing things in my immediate environment that others miss.

I hope these have helped, but please feel free to ask anything at all you feel you need to make a proper assessment.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
5w6 screams INTP to me. But let's not judge only on that. How are you with people and their suffering? Do you want to fix people or do you find it more comfortable to stay out of it all? Do you seek meaningful connections? Do you seek social acceptance?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5w6 screams INTP to me. But let's not judge only on that. How are you with people and their suffering? Do you want to fix people or do you find it more comfortable to stay out of it all? Do you seek meaningful connections? Do you seek social acceptance?
I would generally say I'm quite empathetic to most peoples suffering.

I love problem solving and I get a strange satisfaction out of people asking for my help. While I can often empathize with their feelings, I'm also good at showing them a different way of looking at their problem(s).

I have a very small group of close confidants.

As much as I would like to say no, I do seek acceptance. If I must criticize somebody I usually try and make it as constructive as possible or use metaphors.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
OK, then I give you 1 INFJ point, there's nothing that would tell me that you're not INFJ. :)

Reactions: Solitude Dude

·
Registered
202 Posts
I can only tell you the general vibe I get, I totally see you as an INTP. The type of structuredness of what you wrote looks like a T user to me, not an F user with strong T. I also knew a female INTP who was very much like this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can only tell you the general vibe I get, I totally see you as an INTP. The type of structuredness of what you wrote looks like a T user to me, not an F user with strong T. I also knew a female INTP who was very much like this.
Hmmm, interesting. If anything I would say I might say I am an INFP that has disguised himself as an INTP for most of his life.

One thing I do endlessly, that I dont believe INTPs do, is search for meanings in art relentlessly. I also love symbolism.

I'm more than happy to be an INTP, I just dont feel thats me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. If anything I would say I might say I am an INFP that has disguised himself as an INTP for most of his life.

One thing I do endlessly, that I dont believe INTPs do, is search for meanings in art relentlessly. I also love symbolism.

Hmm maybe, I'd exclude INFJs, but I don't know much about INFPs so maybe it's either INFP with a strong T sync or an INTP with a strong F sync, I myself would vote for INTP.
Don't take it seriously though, these are very weak guesses.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
@Solitude Dude

In my opinion there's a lot of (relative) harm done to potential MBTI type seekers by the kind of stereotypes which fall on the divide between T and F users.

For INFJ the functions are NiFeSeTi, and that does not mean we are not thinking individuals.

Indeed I would say NiFeSeTi is interesting cos it breaks the mould of falling easy on either side of the T/F "divide".

I'm pretty sure other F users would bristle at being called illogical or irrational, too, just like T users maybe-sometimes bristle at being called insensitive. I have made that mistake myself, of thinking just because someone is a T user they are less than sensitive.

Maybe it comes down to how we would most naturally express our sensitivities, and I believe what you are saying here really sounds like an NiFeSeTi mode of expressing one's sensitivities.

The most similar N user to INFJ is ENTP, at least by the measure that we start with N, as well as both using FeTi. The funny thing with ENTPs is they may not recognise our mode of expressing the sensitivity, however the modes of thinking are surprisingly similar. Granted, their strengths may be different.

What I am saying here is do not let the divide between T and F users, which is represented to us strongly online in descriptions and perhaps also on casual forum spaces, do not let that sway your method of self-identification.

For me the value is in self-identification, so have the confidence to use your judgement. That is all I really want to say. You have more than any of us could ever have about you.

I am not trying to snub anyone helping you, either, because they have information that I myself do not have.\

Just in case you would, I hope you would not let yourself become confused about it needlessly.

It was still a good idea to come on here for advice, though! - It's always good to start the conversation and see what you can find from that :) :D!

All the best in your online MBTI wanderings, mate. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Solitude Dude

In my opinion there's a lot of (relative) harm done to potential MBTI type seekers by the kind of stereotypes which fall on the divide between T and F users.

For INFJ the functions are NiFeSeTi, and that does not mean we are not thinking individuals.

Indeed I would say NiFeSeTi is interesting cos it breaks the mould of falling easy on either side of the T/F "divide".

I'm pretty sure other F users would bristle at being called illogical or irrational, too, just like T users maybe-sometimes bristle at being called insensitive. I have made that mistake myself, of thinking just because someone is a T user they are less than sensitive.

Maybe it comes down to how we would most naturally express our sensitivities, and I believe what you are saying here really sounds like an NiFeSeTi mode of expressing one's sensitivities.

The most similar N user to INFJ is ENTP, at least by the measure that we start with N, as well as both using FeTi. The funny thing with ENTPs is they may not recognise our mode of expressing the sensitivity, however the modes of thinking are surprisingly similar. Granted, their strengths may be different.

What I am saying here is do not let the divide between T and F users, which is represented to us strongly online in descriptions and perhaps also on casual forum spaces, do not let that sway your method of self-identification.

For me the value is in self-identification, so have the confidence to use your judgement. That is all I really want to say. You have more than any of us could ever have about you.

I am not trying to snub anyone helping you, either, because they have information that I myself do not have.\

Just in case you would, I hope you would not let yourself become confused about it needlessly.

It was still a good idea to come on here for advice, though! - It's always good to start the conversation and see what you can find from that :) :D!

All the best in your online MBTI wanderings, mate. :)

It's very interesting that you say ENTPs use their N in a similar way to INFJs as I strongly believe my father was an ENTP. When I was growing up I was full of ideas which he would beat down endlessly with his superior logic. I think that's why I learned to test my theories more and more. It can be tiring though.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me understand myself a little better. In my heart I feel I'm an INFJ, but I'm happy to leave it open for now. :)

·
Registered
ENFP 3w2
322 Posts

INFPs feel stupid in the presence of NT's. If you feel mentally confident around NT's then you're probably INFJ. Also INTPs typically are very math/logic oriented people while INFJs do not enjoy math at all. So if you have a strong dislike of math, you're probably INFJ.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
INFPs feel stupid in the presence of NT's. If you feel mentally confident around NT's then you're probably INFJ. Also INTPs typically are very math/logic oriented people while INFJs do not enjoy math at all. So if you have a strong dislike of math, you're probably INFJ.

Hate math. With a passion. :p

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I forgot to answer the first part of your quote.

I would definitely say I can hold my own in most conversations, though I'd never profess to know more than anybody else.

I cant really say if I've met enough INTPs to give a proper answer.

·
Registered
535 Posts
@Solitude Dude Based on what you say, you can exclude INFP.
Too much Fe and Ti in there.

There isn't much in your text to close out on INFJ or INTP, but given that most of your list is about people rather than rational elements, i would lean towards INFJ.

What helped for me when i was trying to figure out when i was an INFJ or INTP was to figure out whether i had Ni or Ne.
Ne is like a mindmap, sometimes sparks a lot of different ideas quite instantaneous, they also don't judge their ideas.
Ni is like a decision tree, things can spark in my mind as well, but i) they're in my head before i will put them in words not while i'm talking. people say that sometimes i stop in the middle of a sentence for 3 seconds, and then take a turn saying 'i just thought of something', they dom Ne users i know don't really seem to do that. i also judge ideas while i have them ("this can't be right").

1 - 14 of 14 Posts