Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I discovered the MBTI personality types, I've become quite obsessed... I've been trying to figure out my type by taking several online tests. Most of the time I get the INTP and INFP types, sometimes INFJ and INTJ... Once I got ISTP as well... What I'm sure of is that I am an introvert. I think I feel my personality closer to the INTP type, but I also believe there are some aspects related to the INFP and INFJ types. I'm a quiet person, I don't like to talk too much, especially with strangers or people I don't know enough about. I spend most of my time thinking, that's true, it's something I really love (almost visceral) and I find it extremely relaxing. Yeah, I must admit it's a sort of necessity for me. I need some free time and space to do that very often. I like to analyze everything and discover what lies behind appearance. I do this especially with people, even if I am not too much interested in socializing, but I try to understand people's behaviour, more in an egoistic way though, because I believe it helps me to understand myself better and life as well... Probably I look for experiences by analyzing rather than living them in first person. I'm quite logic in my mind but I'm also very aware of my emotions, I care also about this aspect. I give importance to my values as well and I can be quite rigid if I believe in something. I also have an artistic and creative personality, I can draw and I like to write lyrics for songs sometimes. I like to express my feelings this way...

Well, if you have some questions to ask for helping me to figure out my type it would be very appreciated :)

EDIT:

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I'm a 26 years old boy. I'm gay, currently in a relationship (my first one).

1. Click on this link:*Flickr: Explore!*Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

flickr.com/photos/joao_cruz_santos/17128782369/in/explore-2015-04-29 (copy and paste)

In this picture I can see a ship which is trying to sail across the sea and everything around is dark... To me that boat represents the journey of my soul, which has to face the obscurity that hides the truth of what is really important to me. The ship itself is emitting a faint light that lights up the route, but it's impossible to see too far away. To me that light is my faith through this journey, which helps me to guide me forward, even though it's really difficult and I don't know what is waiting for me in the end...

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

I'd probably start to think it would have been better if I stayed at home. I wouldn't be scared, maybe I'd be more peeved by the situation. Anyway I wouldn't show that to the others, they would probably see me worried apparently, because I'd start asking things such as "And now? What can we do to solve the problem?", "Is there anything around here?", "Is there a way to find help?", "What can we do if there isn't anybody?"... I'd react rationally, but I'd think about the negative possibilities as well... But if I am with the right company I might be even funny and start joking and fantasizing about the "mysterious" situation...

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I don't like parties and confusion that much... but If I had no choice I would go. I think I'd spend the night watching the others having fun... Or probably I would wait to find someone interesting to talk with...

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I suppose I would feel unsettled by that... If it's something I don't really like I could even judge and have a bad opinion, but then I'd start thinking and asking myself many questions and try to understand his point of view... I wouldn't show much to the others though, especially if there's no enoguh confidence...

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

As I said before, at first I would have some difficulites to confront that... But then, thanks to my rational thinking, I would just learn to accept it, even if I don't agree... But if I have enough confidence, with the people I love (for example family members or partner) and I believe there's something wrong, then I'd probably say what I think without any problem... Even if it makes us argue... Because I must be totally honest with them.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

Honesty, independence, seeking of the truth, kindness... This is it! It's what makes me feel comfortable and I want to stick with it... I'm sure that being myself will reward me somehow...

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

I always seek the truth and I want to stay true to myself, even if this means that I can be misunderstood by people... But I feel more comfortable this way rather than wearing a mask and lie, pretending to be what I am not just for social acceptance. I don't want to repress my nature and my personality. I'm really honest, of course, and I'm looking for the same. If i can't find it I simply lose my interest and I avoid everything else... I just wish I was more assertive, because I tend to hide my opinions if i think people wouldn't undesrtand me, and that doesn't help me at all... But if they ask me directly I would say what I actually think, in a diplomatic way I guess...

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I just try to listen to them and analyze them rationally... It can happen sometimes, especially if I'm facing an unprepared situation, which is unknown to me.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

Thinking about what I want is what I do most of the time, this is my favorite activity, it helps me to relax. So I like to do pretty much everything which involves that. I really don't like when I'm forced to socialize with many people, especially if there is too much confusion, because it doesn't allow me to analyze and I don't feel comfortable that way...

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I'm kinda afraid of showing some of my visions or thoughts, because I believe most people are not interested in... Since I can be quite serious in my thoughts and people just want to have fun... Even though I believe I'm also a funny and easy going guy if I want to... I like simplicity as well.

·
Registered
IEE
6,559 Posts
FP probably. Fill questionnaire from sticky posts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FP probably. Fill questionnaire from sticky posts.
Uhm... Do you think so? I believe FPs are more concerned about the other people's feelings and I'm not exactly like that. I mean I like harmony, but I can be quite indifferent too... Unless I have some sort of interest or admiration for that particular person, especially if I feel connected with my vision and values, only in that case I can be supportive. Otherwise I tend to coldly analyze people's behaviour, just for the knowledge... Can I say that?

Ok, I'll try to fill the questionnaire as soon as possible :)

·
Registered
IEE
6,559 Posts
Uhm... Do you think so? I believe FPs are more concerned about the other people's feelings and I'm not exactly like that. I mean I like harmony, but I can be quite indifferent too... Unless I have some sort of interest or admiration for that particular person, especially if I feel connected with my vision and values, only in that case I can be supportive. Otherwise I tend to coldly analyze people's behaviour, just for the knowledge... Can I say that?

Ok, I'll try to fill the questionnaire as soon as possible :)
That's the opposite of FP.

·
Registered
IEE
6,559 Posts
Oh really? I thought the introverted feeling could help to create empathic bonds with others, even if weaker than an INFJ for example, of course...

If connecting to people is your value then yes.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Oh really? I thought the introverted feeling could help to create empathic bonds with others, even if weaker than an INFJ for example, of course...
It can, however Fi is primarily concerned with it's own values and feelings.

Reactions: Edgar

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
You are correct.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
Fi is about feelings and emotions.

Fe is more relationships between people.

F people can often do both.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see, thanks for your explanations.
By the way, to me it seems like I am between the introverted feeling and the introverted thinking... I feel like they are very balanced, I don't know if that is possible. I'm conscious about my personal feelings but I'm also rather rational in my thoughts, and I find hard to understand others' emotional needs at first (I was sometimes criticized for that reason).

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I see, thanks for your explanations.
By the way, to me it seems like I am between the introverted feeling and the introverted thinking... I feel like they are very balanced, I don't know if that is possible. I'm conscious about my personal feelings but I'm also rather rational in my thoughts, and I find hard to understand others' emotional needs at first (I was sometimes criticized for that reason).
Hmm, introverted feeling. I've had an image in my head about Fi all day today and come across the image of Cyclops from X-men, when he doesn't have his visor on....

If you don't mind, I'd like to test a theory on you, using Fi and Ti, and loops.

Tell me if these scenarios happen to you when you are stressed or just not doing well mentally:

For Fi:

Scenario A: You make any excuses they can to not socialize and instead live in the past. Their reclusion can give them time alone which may help, but may also launch a bout of depression due to bottled up feelings and a strong tendency to relive better times in their life.

Scenario B: develop a sense of superiority and self-improvement that hasn't actually taken place yet. They will use Ni to analyze their emotions as well as the emotions of the people around them and will treat people as if they know less than the ISFP.

For Ti:

Scenario C: extremely socially withdrawn and nostalgic. They will live in their heads and/ or in the past and will completely disregard the feelings of themselves and others.

Scenario D: will go out of their way to break all rules and purposely mess up people’s lives. They may become destructive and will also develop a sense of superiority. They will think they are above all emotional sources of stress and thusly neglect their feelings and the feelings of others.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
When I don't feel very well and I'm dealing with a bad moment, I usually tend to isolate myself from the others, and I escape in my thoughts... I might become depressed, indifferent to the other people's feelings but I always consider my own ones (maybe I can compare my feelings to others' experiences). I sometimes feel different, unique and "better" than most people, but then I realize rationally that it's not true... I never become aggressive or destructive. I suppose I am more related to Fi (Scenario A and B).

Anyway I filled the questionnaire, here we go:

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I'm a 26 years old boy. I'm gay, currently in a relationship (my first one).

1. Click on this link:*Flickr: Explore!*Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

flickr.com/photos/joao_cruz_santos/17128782369/in/explore-2015-04-29 (copy and paste)

In this picture I can see a ship which is trying to sail across the sea and everything around is dark... To me that boat represents the journey of my soul, which has to face the obscurity that hides the truth of what is really important to me. The ship itself is emitting a faint light that lights up the route, but it's impossible to see too far away. To me that light is my faith through this journey, which helps me to guide me forward, even though it's really difficult and I don't know what is waiting for me in the end...

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

I'd probably start to think it would have been better if I stayed at home. I wouldn't be scared, maybe I'd be more peeved by the situation. Anyway I wouldn't show that to the others, they would probably see me worried apparently, because I'd start asking things such as "And now? What can we do to solve the problem?", "Is there anything around here?", "Is there a way to find help?", "What can we do if there isn't anybody?"... I'd react rationally, but I'd think about the negative possibilities as well... But if I am with the right company I might be even funny and start joking and fantasizing about the "mysterious" situation...

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I don't like parties and confusion that much... but If I had no choice I would go. I think I'd spend the night watching the others having fun... Or probably I would wait to find someone interesting to talk with...

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I suppose I would feel unsettled by that... If it's something I don't really like I could even judge and have a bad opinion, but then I'd start thinking and asking myself many questions and trying to understand his point of view... I wouldn't show much to the others though, especially if there's no enoguh confidence...

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

As I said before, at first I would have some difficulites to confront that... But then, thanks to my rational thinking, I would just learn to accept it, even if I don't agree... But if I have enough confidence, with the people I love (for example family members or partner) and I believe there's something wrong, then I'd probably say what I think without any problem... Even if it makes us argue... Because I must be totally honest with them.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

Honesty, independence, seeking of the truth, kindness... This is it! It's what makes me feel comfortable and I want to stick with it... I'm sure that being myself will reward me somehow...

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

I always seek the truth and I want to stay true to myself, even if this means that I can be misunderstood by people... But I feel more comfortable this way rather than wearing a mask and lie, pretending to be what I am not just for social acceptance. I don't want to repress my nature and my personality. I'm really honest, of course, and I'm looking for the same. If i can't find it I simply lose my interest and I avoid everything else... I just wish I was more assertive, because I tend to hide my opinions if i think people wouldn't undesrtand me, and that doesn't help me at all... But if they ask me directly I would say what I actually think, in a diplomatic way I guess...

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I just try to listen to them and analyze them rationally... It can happen sometimes, especially if I'm facing an unprepared situation, which is unknown to me.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

Thinking about what I want is what I do most of the time, this is my favorite activity, it helps me to relax. So I like to do pretty much everything which involves that. I really don't like when I'm forced to socialize with many people, especially if there is too much confusion, because it doesn't allow me to analyze and I don't feel comfortable that way...

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I'm kinda afraid of showing some of my visions or thoughts, because I believe most people are not interested in... Since I can be quite serious in my thoughts and people just want to have fun... Even though I believe I'm also a funny and easy going guy if I want to... I like simplicity as well.

·
Registered
IEE
6,559 Posts
Fi is pairing with Te - the objective logic. FPs aren't illogical or irrational because of the lack of Ti.

Anyway, IFxP. I'd think Ni over Ne so ISFP.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Definitely reads Fi-Te to me. Leading with morals but then finding rational reasons to support them. Your answer to #2 is similar to what mine would be. When something goes awry I try to find some practical way to still arrive at the goal, or at least improve the situation, usually talking out loud, gathering information from those around me, looking for ways to make a difference externally. Also it is pretty clear that you are an introvert.

So I agree that you are IxFP, but I'm not sure if ISFP or INFP. I see both Ne and Ni in your answers, which makes it difficult. When I read #1 I immediately thought intuitive, but ISFPs can have high enough Ni that it wouldn't surprise me for one to give that kind of answer.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I can see Fi-dom with you. As has already been addressed, your misgivings about being FP are actually more misgivings about being FJ, and the whole thing with you and not being in tuned to others' emotions is very Fi. Also, do I even have to mention how being in tune with your own feelings is ridiculously Fi? As an Fe-dom I have the opposite, others know my emotions but I just know what my thoughts are. Knowing your personal feelings is def an Fi thing, particularly a strong Fi thing. I also don't think that having organized thoughts is neccesarily Ti. Ti and Te users can think that, right? (Personally, I don't even think I have organized thoughts... I just have thoughts. Then again, my Ti is very low.)

That established, we'll start with how we've been going with @SugarPlum:

- Do you believe in multipe truths, or are you consumed with the pursuit of one truth?

- Is your head never at a loss for thoughts?

- How do you relate to Ne and Se / Si and Ni? (I'm sure you have some idea of how those functions work if you've been investigating your own type for a while.)

I'm also curious if you can see yourself fitting ISFP or INFP. I know sometimes it's hard to accept a type if the description doesn't seem very you at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sorry but I don't think the ISFP type suits me well. I believe I don't have a very developed sensing function... For example: when I am in a new place I usually don't pay too much attention to details, even if they are quite obvious for the others, I focus my thoughts on my general impressions or something which captures my interest. I can be very speculative and create many connections in my mind when I analyze something, involving both my personal feelings and rationality. As I said before I like to find what lies behind superficial things... Friends are surprised when they ask me how come I didn't notice this or that...

Did you enjoy kinesthetic learning while growing up?
Not really, I remember when I was at school I used to avoid sports as much as I could lol

That established, we'll start with how we've been going with @SugarPlum:

- Do you believe in multipe truths, or are you consumed with the pursuit of one truth?

- Is your head never at a loss for thoughts?

- How do you relate to Ne and Se / Si and Ni? (I'm sure you have some idea of how those functions work if you've been investigating your own type for a while.)

I'm also curious if you can see yourself fitting ISFP or INFP. I know sometimes it's hard to accept a type if the description doesn't seem very you at all.
-I believe everyone has to go through different experiences and probably I might consider that there are multiple meanings for people, and I respect them, but I also think that in the end, at the very essential, there's one truth...

- I would say almost never... I'm always thinking about something.

-I suppose I don't use that much my sensing function and if I do I think is the introverted one... I am more intuitive, more introverted, because I don't trust just what I see... I always have to realize what is hiding behind the "ordinary"...

-I feel closer to the INFP type...

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
Hmm, introverted feeling. I've had an image in my head about Fi all day today and come across the image of Cyclops from X-men, when he doesn't have his visor on....

If you don't mind, I'd like to test a theory on you, using Fi and Ti, and loops.

Tell me if these scenarios happen to you when you are stressed or just not doing well mentally:

For Fi:

Scenario A: You make any excuses they can to not socialize and instead live in the past. Their reclusion can give them time alone which may help, but may also launch a bout of depression due to bottled up feelings and a strong tendency to relive better times in their life.

Scenario B: develop a sense of superiority and self-improvement that hasn't actually taken place yet. They will use Ni to analyze their emotions as well as the emotions of the people around them and will treat people as if they know less than the ISFP.

For Ti:

Scenario C: extremely socially withdrawn and nostalgic. They will live in their heads and/ or in the past and will completely disregard the feelings of themselves and others.

Scenario D: will go out of their way to break all rules and purposely mess up people’s lives. They may become destructive and will also develop a sense of superiority. They will think they are above all emotional sources of stress and thusly neglect their feelings and the feelings of others.
No. You are conflating Si into all that somehow.

Can you ever feel anyone else's emotions or feelings? Someone you care about is incredibly sad, and you can feel it as your own a bit..........

If so, F.

I'm Ti. I don't feel my own emotions hardly, let alone someone else's. An extreme exaggeration, but illustrative.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
I'd vote INFP in a heartbeat.

ANY ti person would try to fix the broken car, or come up wtih some logical way to deal with the broken car. The car is a THING, and ti is pretty comfortable dealing with THINGS, less so people.

>>>>> When I don't feel very well and I'm dealing with a bad moment, I usually tend to isolate myself from the others, and I escape in my thoughts... I might become depressed, indifferent to the other people's feelings but I always consider my own ones (maybe I can compare my feelings to others' experiences). I sometimes feel different, unique and "better" than most people,
\\

this to me is INFP enneagram 4 to a T. If I'm wrong, it might be a place to start to see what does not fit.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I agree with @drmiller100, your answers read very much Fi/Ne. The Ne is also pretty apparent, your like of one truth is a little Ni but the way you mentioned how you would think about the negative possibilities when the car crashed, but enjoy the "mystery" of the situation, and fantasize about it... I can't speak for all users of Se, but fantasizing isn't my thing. I would enjoy the situation because it would be fun, exciting, a mini adventure, but fantasizing is something that I can only do very seldomly on occasion. An ISFP may or may not be more prone to fantasizing, but you've acknowledged you don't relate to Se much at all any way.

Would you be satisfied if we typed you as INFP? Is there any misgiving you have about such a typing?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts