Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an INFP but my brother is an INTJ and we get along great. I'm beginning to think he is the only person who actually gets me. He is two years younger than me and I would consider him smarter than me in most ways, but he is still very confused in life. He's never had a girlfriend and has no clue what he wants to do for the rest of his life. Since I am the only one who he actually seeks advice from and actually listens, what advice can I give him?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Obvious science is...

obvious.

philosophy/math/technology/programming...etc

Any INTJ will be happy to work with something logical and original.

(One tendency of INTJ is that they think too deep and often lose motivations in life
because you can never answer "why" questions (intention, that's a realm of religion mostly),
but science is still close; in that, it answers "how" questions (mechanism/process in which things work))

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obvious science is...

obvious.

Any INTJ will be happy to work with something logical and original.
Yes that is for sure. He is in his second year of a Biomedical Engineering degree but is starting to feel trapped and wants to switch to a Music major, or just something else in general. He has a lot of creativity. It might be possible that he's an INTP. He seems to fit in with either INTP or INTJ.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice, I myself is piano player and a singer (well, just as hobby).

INTJs can do some well-structured songwriting (see? logic can be applied anywhere).
eh, as an INTJ myself, I am not sure that he'll be happy with music field. (I'm looking at the whole life)
but then not all INTJs are the "same", so lol.

If he is a bio-med engi, things can get really dry very quickly (memorize/memorize/memorize!)
it's good to get some new flavor by music/art/dance/sport...etc.
(We INTJs often like to taste different aspects that life offers, just for knowing/experience sake.)

Philosophy/math are also very mentally entertaining classes.
Not as challenging/brain-intensive as biochem.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I used to teach the biomed engineering students when I still worked in uni. Don't recall they had to do much memorization...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I don't think memorization is the problem. He just feels like a robot. It's too monotonous and routine for him.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Eh? bu I thought 2nd year biomeds engis all take prereq bio/biochem/phys classes which are (well, not phys at least) heavy on dry memorization? maybe they are heavier on phys the 2nd year...

Anyway, do tell him to get himself familiarized to computers. Can't do anything fast without it these days. lol

Computer programming can offer good "non-routine" fun since you are "creating" things. (Sort of like high level Lego lol)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He's finished all the prereqs so he's probably ahead of other sophomores (I could be completely wrong). But I was told from a friend if he doesn't love BE by now, get out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
He is right, nothing sadder than doing something that you do not enjoy for life.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I disagree. It's better to get an engineering degree and then just go work in the right field. That's why I picked phys, it didn't tie me down (I work in math finance now).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ah, see? That's years of experience by Filo right there. Stable way is often preferred. And your interest does not veer off to the extreme.
(whatever necessary for you to achieve your goal in life. (money/legacy/happiness/etc, you name it.))

But I do, too, recommend biomedical engineering because I feel like he will regret switching to something else.
(Better to have harder thing done first.)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yes that is for sure. He is in his second year of a Biomedical Engineering degree but is starting to feel trapped and wants to switch to a Music major, or just something else in general. He has a lot of creativity. It might be possible that he's an INTP. He seems to fit in with either INTP or INTJ.
I left my Business Admin major at the end of my second year. I switched to Creative Writing. The last two years of college were my best and most enjoyable....writing and spent a third of my credits in philosophy classes.

It didn't "pay" at graduation time and now I am finishing a doctorate in education....because that is where life has led.

I took a few creative writing classes and didn't even think of switching until after that experience. The boost of confidence I needed was 1) asking a creative writing professor if she felt I had enough talent/skill worth the change and 2) family, especially my brother (3 years older) who supported me in the change.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Just for clarification, did he ask you to help with this specific thing?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, he humbled himself. Usually he wouldn't be caught dead asking me for advice, but he very subtly asked "What should I do?" (about school. He thinks he should drop out :/ ). His subtle way of asking for help is blatantly saying "Should I do this?" or "Set me up with one of your hot friends" and trying to not sound serious about it when in fact he is.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Urge him to strive for something he truly enjoys, or rather something that presents itself in both realms of joy and challenge.

I have a decent understanding of how he feels. I felt the strains of routine before. Personally, I enjoy psychology. I was originally going to attempt to become a psychologist a few years ago when I was a freshman in high school. Recently, however, I've decided to work on becoming a psychiatrist, something a bit more strenuous to become. It is quite a content feeling to know what I'm aiming for.

Not only that, but I have picked up a few hobbies on the side. Self betterment is my main goal. I enjoy writing. I enjoy photography. I enjoy puzzles and video games. I enjoy online graphics. Tell him to pick up a few things he enjoys and let loose on them.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
He might not get it right the next time either, he needs to try different things. Take a larger variety of classes in different subjects until he finds something.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts