Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time it's because of my mother and my best friend (they're both into mbti).
Well, to make it short, they read the description of all the types I usually score as in tests and they said that the one which resembles me the most is ISTP.
What the heck??
I was fairly certain by now that I was either an ENTP or an ESTP. How is it even possible to confuse an ExTP with an ISTP? I've been typed as an ISTP many times in the past, but not by people who were so close to me.
First of all, I don't think I am an introvert or a Ti-dom. Maybe I'm not the most extroverted person around, but I do am extroverted if I find the person interesting. Also, I'm a 7w8 on ennegram, and my tritype is 738; is it even possible for an ISTP to be a 7?
I know my Fe is pretty low and my Ni is pretty strong, but I also have a high Ne and Se (both stronger than Ti, I think).
So, how do you explain this?

·
Registered
306 Posts
How into MBTI are they? Perhaps they are relying on stereotypes or do not have a proper understanding of MBTI, otherwise.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I know my Fe is pretty low and my Ni is pretty strong, but I also have a high Ne and Se (both stronger than Ti, I think).
You think you have high Ne and Se? That's impossible. I'm willing to bet you've been blindly trusting cognitive functions tests. I don't get why people even do that; it's kinda obvious that they don't work; if anyone could have strong Ne and Se, then there wouldn't be a difference between an ENTP and an ESTP.

Have you filled out a questionnaire?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
This time it's because of my mother and my best friend (they're both into mbti).
Well, to make it short, they read the description of all the types I usually score as in tests and they said that the one which resembles me the most is ISTP.
As Lakin said, how much do they know about MBTI? E/I is often misunderstood, which I'll come back to.

What the heck??
I was fairly certain by now that I was either an ENTP or an ESTP. How is it even possible to confuse an ExTP with an ISTP?
Actually, it wouldn't be that hard. First of all, the obvious difference between an ESTP and an ISTP is the top two functions. And since Se is an extroverted function, and Ti an introverted, you won't see Ti as obvious. So they might think that they just don't see the Ti.

First of all, I don't think I am an introvert or a Ti-dom. Maybe I'm not the most extroverted person around, but I do am extroverted if I find the person interesting.
Being extroverted or introverted is not about being talkative, shy, outspoken or whatever. This is something many people get wrong. Introversion means that your energy is like batteries, that needs to be recharged with some alonetime to have enough energy to hang out with people, and a constant flod of impressions and people, while an extrovert works as a solar panel, and needs to be around people to get their energy, and recharges from that. Again, this is usually missunderstood and people use the stereotype that extroverts are talkative and outgoing, and introverts are shy and insecure. This gives a bais in MBTI, and is not accurate by any means.

Also, I'm a 7w8 on ennegram, and my tritype is 738; is it even possible for an ISTP to be a 7?
If I've understood enenagram right, it is not compareable to MBTI, and you could be any type in one with whatever type in the other. :)

ISTP would have Fe as inferior. That would not mean that it's strong or developed, but that you use it more than some other function. (If I've understood this right, still struggeling on this one.) Are you sure that they're stronger than Ti, and not just that you've missunderstood the function, or just don't see it because it's introverted?

Hope this helped at least a bit.

Reactions: Harizu

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How into MBTI are they? Perhaps they are relying on stereotypes or do not have a proper understanding of MBTI, otherwise.
My mother is descretely into it; my friend, she's just begun to get into it

You think you have high Ne and Se? That's impossible. I'm willing to bet you've been blindly trusting cognitive functions tests. I don't get why people even do that; it's kinda obvious that they don't work; if anyone could have strong Ne and Se, then there wouldn't be a difference between an ENTP and an ESTP.

Have you filled out a questionnaire?
Yeah, I trusted cognitive functions test.

Yeah, I did.

Introversion means that your energy is like batteries, that needs to be recharged with some alonetime to have enough energy to hang out with people, and a constant flod of impressions and people, while an extrovert works as a solar panel, and needs to be around people to get their energy, and recharges from that.
neither of those is particularly true for me.
I don't get drained by being around people, but interaction doesn't energize me, either.
The only thing that really drains me is boredom, and I can get bored both on my own and around others, depending on what I'm doing.

Are you sure that they're stronger than Ti, and not just that you've missunderstood the function, or just don't see it because it's introverted?
At this point I'm not sure. But if Ti is somewhat "hidden" because it is introverted, how can I tell?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
At this point I'm not sure. But if Ti is somewhat "hidden" because it is introverted, how can I tell?
Ti is not hidden. You won't see it directly acting, like Te or Fe, but you can find entire areas of science dedicated to Ti.

Formal logic, logical fallacies, scientific models; they were all created by Ti users. Te is absolute; black and white; true or false, such as proving things with statistics and undeniable facts.

Reactions: Harizu
1 - 6 of 6 Posts