Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Because I suck at figuring out cognitive functions, I thought I'd include a link. The Myers-Briggs results on this test are completely wrong for me, IMO, especially the Exxx one (I'm not an E, and I know it). Typically, I test out as ISTJ, and occasionally, INTJ.

Here's the link: Jungian Cognitive Function Quiz

Any advice/insights would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
those tests are interesting... i haven't really looked into/at them to have more of an opinion but what if you tried to identify your type by dom/inferior functions? this may be hard to do because one may not be aware of something that is so integral to their conscious selves, so why not attack this from the opposite end--try to figure out what triggers your "complete meltdown"/temper. what is it that will cause you to act completely outside of your normal behavior?

edit: (because that trigger could be related to your inferior which would then give you your dominant function--that's the idea anyhow :p).

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
those tests are interesting... i haven't really looked into/at them to have more of an opinion but what if you tried to identify your type by dom/inferior functions? this may be hard to do because one may not be aware of something that is so integral to their conscious selves, so why not attack this from the opposite end--try to figure out what triggers your "complete meltdown"/temper. what is it that will cause you to act completely outside of your normal behavior?

edit: (because that trigger could be related to your inferior which would then give you your dominant function--that's the idea anyhow :p).
How would I go about doing this?

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
ISTJ - Si/Te/Fi/Ne
INTJ - Ni/Te/Fi/Se

In order of when they're used in each personality. Dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, inferior. The inferior function (and sometimes the tertiary if you're fairly young) tends to come out when you're stressed or under a lot of pressure, because your dominant function can't deal with the situation so you have to resort to your other functions. If you can figure out how you behave when stressed, it can really help you figure out your type.

There's a huge difference between ISTJ and INTJ in cognitive function, one is dom Si and one is dom Ni, respectively. Once you figure out which one you use more you should be pretty much sorted.

Reactions: Steel Magnolia

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ISTJ - Si/Te/Fi/Ne
INTJ - Ni/Te/Fi/Se

In order of when they're used in each personality. Dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, inferior. The inferior function (and sometimes the tertiary if you're fairly young) tends to come out when you're stressed or under a lot of pressure, because your dominant function can't deal with the situation so you have to resort to your other functions. If you can figure out how you behave when stressed, it can really help you figure out your type.

There's a huge difference between ISTJ and INTJ in cognitive function, one is dom Si and one is dom Ni, respectively. Once you figure out which one you use more you should be pretty much sorted.
Interesting. That layout seems to help, some.

I am struggling most with figuring out the difference between what it's like to be a dom Si user vs. a dom Ni user. It's the S vs. N that I question most.

I'm 30. I tested out as ISTJ at my current age, and also around 19/20. Took the Socionics version of the MBTI a few weeks ago, and got an INTJ result. And reading posts from both sensors and iNtuitives, I see a lot of myself in both.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I've never seen results like these. All of the judging functions are first followed by the perceiving. I don't really know what to make of it, sorry.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know what I just remembered? I took this test days before suffering a grand mal seizure. I was sleep-deprived and stressed when I took the test. I think my brain was really messed up thanks to that.

I took it again today- results made more sense. The link didn't work though, so I'll copy and paste my results. I'll be back in a short while..

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, back again with today's results (two and a half-weeks post-seizure, so I'm thinking a lot more clearly now). My new results don't show up in a link, for some reason, so I've copied and pasted them here. I think these'll be less confusing

Based on your cognitive functions, your type is most likely:
Most Likely: ISTJ
or Second Possibility: INTP
or Third Possibility: ESTJ

Your cognitive functions are, in order of development:
Si - Ti - Te - Fi - Ni - Ne - Se - Fe

I forget what the percentages were, but the test stated that my Si, and Ti are strongly developed. Te is either strongly or moderately developed, Ni is moderately developed, and my Ne, Se, and Fe are underdeveloped.

These are the results I get when my brain is functioning and not about to go into seizure mode. I think these will be less confusing (at least, I hope).

ETA: I wonder if there's some sort of glitch in this quiz? My old results, when I looked at them, did not show percentages, and my new ones would not show up in a link. Just thought I'd bring these things up in case anyone else was having similar issues with this test.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Please do not take these test results seriously. This particular quiz has never typed me right yet, and I know without a doubt that I'm an ENFP. ^^ And the fact that I'm not doubting this should be taken seriously, lol.

I've found this one to be more accurate: Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

However, the best way to figure this all out would simply be to study the functions themselves. :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You know what I just remembered? I took this test days before suffering a grand mal seizure. I was sleep-deprived and stressed when I took the test. I think my brain was really messed up thanks to that.
... Wow. I mean, wow. That might explain it.
Also, I see ISTJ in your test results.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
... Wow. I mean, wow. That might explain it.
Also, I see ISTJ in your test results.
Yeah, it was a huge surprise, and it was quite a scare. I get to go through all those wonderful seizure tests again (results were "inconclusive" last time).

Can you explain how you see me as ISTJ? Do you mean as one of my results on the quiz (which it was), or is that your perception of my type? The way I see it at the moment, ISTJ makes more sense than INTJ for me. I read through the cognitive function descriptions on that quiz that Timeless devised, and it actually made more sense to me this time. I can see how one can prefer sensing but still use intuition. When people refer to me as "intuitive", however, it can be a bit confusing. I know when people have said that to me, they were not talking about Myers-Briggs typology.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yeah, it was a huge surprise, and it was quite a scare. I get to go through all those wonderful seizure tests again (results were "inconclusive" last time).

Can you explain how you see me as ISTJ? Do you mean as one of my results on the quiz (which it was), or is that your perception of my type? The way I see it at the moment, ISTJ makes more sense than INTJ for me. I read through the cognitive function descriptions on that quiz that Timeless devised, and it actually made more sense to me this time. I can see how one can prefer sensing but still use intuition. When people refer to me as "intuitive", however, it can be a bit confusing. I know when people have said that to me, they were not talking about Myers-Briggs typology.
Well, I hope that gets figured out for you.
I apologize if I'm already going through something you've already discovered for yourself.

I haven't personally followed your postings; I'm just simply looking at the results.
From reading your results, the first function you have is Si. Si in the first or second position equals = SJ. The Ti is most likely a combination of Si and Te, which is your third listed function. (I recently went through this myself, thinking I used Ti, when really my Ni is so developed, it tints every function that follows.)

We all use sensing and intuition functions. All of us. We only have preferences for either one.
Also, take several different quizzes. Compare results.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please do not take these test results seriously. This particular quiz has never typed me right yet, and I know without a doubt that I'm an ENFP. ^^ And the fact that I'm not doubting this should be taken seriously, lol.

I've found this one to be more accurate: Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

However, the best way to figure this all out would simply be to study the functions themselves. :)
Awesome link. Thanks for sending that to me.

Guess what I tested out as yet again? ISTJ. Okay, I think I did get this right the first time.

Si was my dominant function on this test as well, so that is consistent.

A major difference between this quiz and Timeless' quiz is that my results indicated underdeveloped Ti but strongly developed Te. That first one I took said said I had well-developed Ti. More surprising still is that the Keys 2 Cognition quiz indicated that I'm an "excellent" user of Fi (51.7% was my result), yet I got an "underdeveloped Fi" result on that first test I took.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to study this stuff more.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Awesome link. Thanks for sending that to me.

Guess what I tested out as yet again: ISTJ. Okay, I thing I did get this right the first time.

A major difference between this quiz and Timeless' quiz is that my results indicated underdeveloped Ti but strongly developed Te. That first one I took said said I had well-developed Ti. More surprising still is that the Keys 2 Cognition quiz indicated that I'm an "excellent" user of Fi (51.7% was my result), yet I got an "underdeveloped Fi" result on that first test I took.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to study this stuff more.
The first test you took doesn't really pick up on Fi really well, but more easily picks up on Fe. It might be doing that for Te and Ti as well. It weirdly picks up on my shadow functions. O_O It's definitely not supposed to be doing that. XD

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
... i guess the best way is to just pay attention to yourself and don't back away from the things you'd rather not know/recognize...

i know--vague, mysterious, and wholly unhelpful, right? well, the sad part is, is that is the way to go about it. you could also use the PerC search engine for "signs of the inferior of X" or variations on that in order to have some semblance on how to think about the subject/what to look for.

really, we all need more information than what those tests can give (at least i do), and way more than any description can give--to really get at "what you are" the information can actually get a little personal. you may want to research it on your own in order to better form your questions. :p

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Great responses, guys. You've all been very helpful. And again, thank you @Julia Bell for sending me that Keys 2 Cognition Quiz. It actually explained things in a way that makes sense.

I think I'm settled on ISTJ. It seems to be the MBTI type that makes the most sense for me. I know that I am often an intuitive person, just not in the MBTI sense. And I see no reason why sensors would be unable to use intuition. Sensing is simply the preferred strategy for understanding the world (which is obvious in my case, as Si is my dominant function, according to more than one test).

Thanks again, everyone. I greatly appreciated the feedback.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts