Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm answering the questions from this thread: http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/109783-yet-another-questionnaire.html

From Personality Cafe: http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/109783-yet-another-questionnaire.html

=============================================================================

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I will try to answer these questions as unbiased as possible. However, I realize that I may have unconscious bias. I have general issues with anxiety, other than that I can’t think of much else that would affect the way I answer the questions.

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?

Image 1:
Image 2:

I definitely prefer the first one. The second one is more mundane. A woman is eating and drinking coffee, so what? Also the color scheme in the second is kind of drab with mostly neutral colors and browns. I like the colors in the first image and the use of color contrast to create the sunset against the lake. The first image is serene and inspirational, it’s colorful and eye catching without being too annoyingly bright.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

I am kind and considerate, thoughtful. I’m rather quiet and introspective most of the time but I can also come across as sociable and friendly to people. Most would see me as very intelligent and knowledgeable, I love to learn and understand things. I have good insight. I have a strong sense of fairness and justice, integrity means everything to me. I am honest, yet tactful. I have good self-awareness and understanding and I’m not afraid to admit my weaknesses (Although since this is like a cover letter, I should be ‘selling myself’ more like I’m applying for a job and not get into the weaknesses part). I am very conscientious and reliable, I am the kind of person who keeps my word. I am compassionate and sensitive.

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

What I would LIKE to be:
*Most everything listed above in question #3. The exception might be that I wish I was more outgoing at times because then I would probably have more fulfilling relationships and more success in life. I also wish I wasn’t so sensitive. Sensitivity can be good in that it makes you emotionally aware, empathetic and compassionate. But if you’re too sensitive, then it hurts you because too strong feelings can distract you from what you need to do or from living a fulfilling life.

In addition I would add confidence, charisma, creativity, resilience, talented, successful, thick skinned and not caring so much what other people think. I have these qualities some of the time but not as much of them as I would like.

What I would NOT like to be:
*Stupid or unintelligent because those people are unlikely to succeed in life and not likely to be respected by others.
*Lazy - because then I don’t get done what needs to be done and I am less likely to fulfill the goals I want
*Doormat - how could I live a fulfilling life if I’m always just following someone else’s wishes?
*Thoughtless - My thoughts are what makes me, me. Hard to imagine life without that.
*Sadistic - I think this one is self-explanatory. Because I hurt other people, duh.
*Rude - Again, rather self-explanatory.
*Thin skinned. Unfortunately, this is a problem for me. It makes my self-esteem lower than it would need to be.
*Insecure - Unfortunately, I also have this quality in spades. It makes my life less fulfilling.
*Apathetic - How can you enjoy life if you have no passion about anything?
*Boring - I want to stand out in a good way, be memorable and significant.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

Probably not too much difference. Occasionally someone may perceive me as more lighthearted than I actually feel, more outgoing and sociable, more knowledgeable and competent than I see myself. On the other hand people sometimes perceive me as colder, less passionate, and more unassertive and passive than how I would see myself, which I don’t like being seen as.

I think the reason is how I present myself to others in different circumstances and their own perceptions of me which could be colored by their own biases. Someone who doesn’t know me that well is more likely to get a wrong impression of me. People only see certain sides of me, hardly anyone gets the whole picture.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

I want to do something of meaning and significance, something that benefits society and that people will remember long after I die. Then I feel like my life had meaning, I made a difference.

I also want to do things that I find personally enjoyable and fulfilling, even if they are not necessarily so useful practically. This could be learning all I can about favorite topics, reading the great works of literature, listening to the great composers, learning languages just because.

I want to travel the world, take in all the beauty of the world, cross of all the things on my bucket list and die peacefully at an old age without having any regrets for things I didn’t do.

I was too lazy to do the values test, but some of my core values include:
*Integrity
*Treating others with dignity and respect
*Intellectual curiosity and stimulation
*Freedom
*Joy
*Fairness
*Kindness
*Ingenuity and creativity
*Making a positive impact
*Sense of awe and wonder
*Inspiration
*Hope
*Compassion
*Comfort
*Security
*Beauty
*Harmony

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

Well it depends on what the new situation is exactly. It could be a sense of anticipation and excitement of all the new possibilities for positive changes like a new job or birth of my nephew or taking a vacation to somewhere wonderful I haven’t been before. For less positive situations or in situations where the outcome is more unknown such as a job interview or awaiting results for a test the reaction is more anxiety and fear and even panic. I think about all the possible scenarios, best case and worst case. I plan for the worst case scenario because I want to feel like I am able to cope with whatever comes my way, but I still hope for the best.

An example of an unknown situation was last year when I had a sinus infection that wasn’t going away even after taking an antibiotic for almost 2 weeks. I started breaking out in a rash and developed sores in my mouth. I was anxious because I didn’t know when I would get better and what was causing my symptoms. I remember one day when I was shuttled from doctor to doctor- that day I visited 3 different clinics because it was recommended I go in for further testing. I remember crying and panicking at one moment and feeling very impatient. No one was giving me any closure, I worried that maybe I had something serious. At, it turned out it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotic I was prescribed for the sinus infection. I switched antibiotics and was treated for my allergic symptoms and got better in a few days without serious complications.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I panic! I don’t deal with stress all that well. I get anxious, I can’t think as clearly, my muscles tighten up and my heart races. I worry about bad things that could happen. I think this is an effect of my generalized anxiety disorder and some of this is just natural physiological reactions to fear and emergency situations.

However, I try hard to stay calm and reason through the situation logically. Most people seem to think I’m fairly calm and cool, so I guess I’m usually effective enough at hiding my internal panic and anxiety.

For a real life example, see the example I gave in question 7 above.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

When I’m an in an enjoyable situation, I am fully enjoying the present, not worried about the future or anything else. I am immersed in what I’m doing, losing track of the time, not wanting it to end. There is a sense of creative flow I sometimes get in such situations.

An example of an experience is when I am absorbed in a really good book that I don’t want to put down. I sometimes neglect body needs like sleep, food, or even going to bathroom. I can lose track of time, not aware of how long I spent. The book can also spark creative ideas, new ways of thinking, or just help me get more in touch with my emotions.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

I am generally a quiet, self-contained person. I don’t socialize all that much unless it’s for a specific purpose. I don’t like small talk much or just talking for the sake of talking. I do like socializing when we all share a common interest or purpose. I do belong to a few social groups, such a board gaming group, an enneagram group, and a Spanish language learning group. I guess this online forum is like one big social group in a way.

One-on-one interaction I perceive as more intimate and easy to control than group interaction. With one-on-one, there is more chance to get to know someone in depth, to get what you want to get out of the interaction without interference from others. However, strangely enough, one-on-one interaction can sometimes get too personal too quick for me. So sometimes I will actually feel safer in a larger group because I can hide a little. Although in groups, sometimes I don’t feel like I’m heard enough because the most talkative people dominate. One other advantage of group interaction is that you can get more input and ideas and it’s quicker to share something with several people at once rather than talking to each person individually.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

I guess you can say no person is truly an island. Even the most isolated hermits indirectly depend on people to provide resources they need to survive. As for myself, I strive to have a harmonious relationship to society. To be accepted for who I am, to be a respected and useful person. I am aware that my actions have effect on other people.

What I hold most important is treating everyone with respect and dignity, to be true to yourself without harming others. Regarding social norms, I think some of them are necessary. They ensure social harmony between people and also avoid chaos. Things like saying please and thank you and don’t steal or kill people. Some of them though are probably outdated, like the woman should stay at home and take care of the kids and men should work. Others are just plain silly like saying “bless you” when someone sneezes. The silly or outdated ones I try not to follow if I can help it.

As a whole, I think most people are generally good. Some people may come from bad life circumstances which can affect their behavior and actions. It may be idealistic of me to say this but I think almost everyone has the capacity to be a good moral person and do good for the society. That said, however, this doesn’t mean I personally like every individual I encounter. Some of them I’m not compatible with, I don’t enjoy their company, our personalities clash. But it doesn’t make them bad people.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

I generally don’t like it much but I suppose it’s a necessary evil. Someone needs to be in charge to avoid chaos. Authority generally means that someone is in charge and has responsibility to make decisions or supervise people. Unfortunately there are lots of people that abuse their authority and don’t treat their subordinates with enough respect or give them enough freedom.

Like it or not, I generally follow authority because to do so likely involves negative consequences like losing ones job, failing a class, etc. However, if the authorities above me are asking me to do something that’s truly immoral or harmful to myself or others, I’m not going to comply.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

I can tolerate a little bit of chaos, but I much prefer order. Too much chaos just makes me anxious. To me order means having things in their place, being able to find what you need quickly, a sense of predictibility and an avoidance of unpleasant surprises. Chaos to me means randomness, a lack of order or organization, unpredictability.

Order manifests in my life through my desire to keep things organized in their place. I am really good at organizing paperwork, books, personal belongings, etc. to find what I want when I want it. This may sound weird but at times it’s almost cathartic to put things in order, such as when I’m shelving books at the library I work at. I am also very good at organizing information into different categories. In my Google Drive, I store a bunch of my documents and I have them neatly labeled into folders and subfolders. I do a similar thing with my emails. The one area in my life where I’m more chaotic is how I manage my time and personal projects. I do keep a calendar and daily planner so I will get want needs to be done by the deadline without too much problem. However, for things that don’t have deadlines or personal projects, I tend to not have much structure in how I spend my time or allocate my priorities. With personal projects, I have many things going on at once and tend to take on more than I can realistically accomplish.

===============================================================================

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

Death obviously- because then you lose all consciousness and the ability think, feel, enjoy anything. Perhaps even more than death I fear that my life was just meaningless and insignificant, I just fade into oblivion and no one remembers me. The worst thing would be to be on your deathbed with regrets about all the things you wanted to do in your life and never got to do.

Intense pain- I hate discomfort and when I’m in pain I lose the ability to concentrate and enjoy things in my life

Humiliation- Because it violates my sense of human dignity, makes it feel like I’m not okay as a person

Rejection- It’s crucial I’m accepted for who I am, and rejection is a blow against my most basic need.

Failure (for some things)- Because you don’t get want you want and you feel you worked hard for nothing and wasted a bunch of time.

The above fears manifest in the form of worry and if I think about them too much I start to feel depressed. I act cautiously and deliberately to avoid these things from happening if possible. Death can’t be avoided but life can be prolonged to some degree. I plan my life and have a bucket list of things I want to do so my life feels meaningful and I don’t have regrets. I’m careful about who I socialize with to avoid humiliation or rejection. I am careful to only take on endeavors I feel have a reasonable chance to succeed. If anything has a risk of causing intense pain, I’m unlikely to try it.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

I feel like I’m being redundant here because I’ve mentioned many of these before when answering other questions.

I want to be loved and accepted for who I am Why do I want that? Because what’s the point of existing if people don’t love and accept you. I need companionship with a like mind, someone who completely understands me, warts and all.

I want to achieve something important that makes a positive impact on society that people will remember long after I die. The reason is because if no one remembers you for the good you did and the positive impact you made, then why exist? It’s like your life was for nothing if the world went on the same without you.

I want to learn all I can about my favorite topics, to leave no stone unturned. Okay, that’s quite unrealistic, if not impossible. There’s so many books I want to read, movies I want to watch, music to listen to, and way more is produced that I can possibly consume. So I have to pick and choose, I just don’t want to miss out on something great.

I want to travel the world. Again, the list of places I’d like to visit is way more than I could ever realistically visit in a lifetime.

I suppose the desire for learning and travel comes from my need to understand the world and satisfy my curiosity. Also it fulfills my need to experience the sense of awe and wonder. With learning it also fulfills my need for mastery and competence.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

1. Just thinking and pondering things - there’s no limit, anything goes, I’m never bored there’s always something else to consider
Reading -- Stimulates the mind, I can learn things
Music -- Inspires me, stimulates the mind and emotions
Video games and board games -- I like the challenge and problem solving involved, exploring fantasy worlds, role playing, and the interaction with others

b) Having to talk to people I don’t want to talk to or about topics not interesting to me. Sometimes I converse with them out of politeness but it’s a real strain to hide my boredom and it feels like a waste of time.
Repetitive physical tasks - it’s straining the body and there nothing new to learn or think about
Filling out forms or reading complicated documents - It’s too formalized, I’m afraid to mess up or not understand something properly

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

I have a fairly good idea of my type already, but there is some doubt so I’m keeping an open mind.

There is some confusion because I relate alot to INTP descriptions and the cognitive functions, yet I don’t fit this type in a couple of significant ways. First I’m way too emotional and sensitive, I’m not a thick skinned person. I’ve also considered INFP, by the way. Second, I have some SJ like qualities, like wanting predictability and order, yet in others ways I’m not very much like a sensor. I like to learn for it’s own sake, sometimes I’m not so practical, I tend to start more things than I realistically finish. I think my Ne is too strong for an SJ type.

I often find myself wanting to be an ENxP type or an xNTJ type. The former types seem like alot of fun with great ideas, more outgoing and charismatic than myself. The xNTJ types have a determination and toughness that I admire. They are more independent of other peoples’ opinions than I am able to be. To be honest I don’t really want to be an SJ type, but I think that’s because of the way the descriptions are written, which makes them sound like more boring people who just follow traditions. I know that’s not really true though and there are no ‘best’ or ‘worst’ types.

My enneagram is also in a state of doubt. Maybe the fact that I said the word doubt, suggests type 6, LOL. 6w5 is the type I am leaning the most towards right now. I think it also explains why I can come across as SJ like, wanting rules and predictability. Other enneagram types I am seriously considering are types 5 and 9 at this moment.

I started a couple of threads about my enneagram type if you are interested in viewing those:
http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-enneagram-type/1202618-5-6-9-how-do-you-tell.html

http://personalitycafe.com/type-9-forum-peacemaker/1202578-am-i-really-9-if-not-what-am-i.html

Results for Keys2Cognition test:

Cognitive Process
Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se)
************** (14.6)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si)
********************************* (33.9)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne)
****************************************** (42.9)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni)
**************************** (28.3)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te)
***************************** (29.6)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti)
******************************** (32.8)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe)
******************* (19.6)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi)
************************************** (38.7)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.
If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or INTP

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.
The Four Temperaments
Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Theorist; secondly Catalyst; then Stabilizer; and lastly, Improviser.

Note: I kind of think I use Ti/Fe more than Te/Fi even though this test doesn’t show it. My Fe score is low because so many of those questions for Fe seemed more geared for extraverts, especially ESFJs. But I am very driven by social harmony, not wanting to offend others and worrying about the impression I give off on others. My values are very important to me, but I don’t think I can say I live for my values no matter what. And oftentimes I do find myself giving into others even if it goes against what I personally value.

The Official MBTI gives me INTP but other online tests I’ve taken recently give me INFP or INFJ. The 16personalities.com gives me INFP-T with a ridiculously high score on turbulence. :(

18. Finally, is there something else you find to be of importance you want to add about yourself you think might be of relevance when helping to type you?

Can’t think of anything, I think all the important stuff has been said.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hiiiii The Exception~

Curious.

But I am very driven by social harmony, not wanting to offend others and worrying about the impression I give off on others. My values are very important to me, but I don’t think I can say I live for my values no matter what. And oftentimes I do find myself giving into others even if it goes against what I personally value.
Social harmony, not wanting to offend, worried about your own impression onto others. I'm getting INFP turbulent vibes here, but you're saying this is more Fe. So, I would like to clarify:

Are your values determined by you, or by society? Do you use group/society values to establish harmony for everyone? Or do you have your own sense of right and wrong, good and bad?

You don't think you can say you live for your own values no matter what with an example being you compromising your values to give into others. Does compromising your values hurt you internally, or go against what should be valued in society? Like, are you fighting for what the group/society would rather do when you're giving in to people? Or do you have an internal sense of morality that you're willing to compromise for other people's agendas?

Because:

I do find myself giving into others even if it goes against what I personally value.
I'm getting Fi vibes here.

Anyway: What do you connect with more?

Fi knows that respecting individual human life and experience: 1) forms the foundation of our collective identity as a society (we can judge a society based on how it treats its individual members), 2) supports and makes space for the creative expression that society needs to flourish beyond mere survival, 3) anchors the self by imbuing thoughts and actions with moral significance, 4) reduces conflict by maximizing acceptance of individual differences, promoting freedom from group/societal conditioning so that everyone can renegotiate roles, duties, needs, desires, or goals as necessary (live and let live).

Fe knows that a strong social framework: 1) maintains the welfare and health of a group, community, society, 2) is expressed through the language of “ritualized” collective behaviors and obligations (e.g. greetings, celebrations, etc.), 3) provides an emotionally supportive foundation for freeing people to pursue individual creative interests, 4) reduces conflict by making social roles well-defined (instead of constantly negotiating duties)

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiiiii The Exception~

Curious.

Social harmony, not wanting to offend, worried about your own impression onto others. I'm getting INFP turbulent vibes here, but you're saying this is more Fe. So, I would like to clarify:
Hi! Thanks for your reply. Are you basing INFP off my post as a whole or just based on the parts you quoted. It is true that I am very turbulent, regardless of what type I am.

Are your values determined by you, or by society? Do you use group/society values to establish harmony for everyone? Or do you have your own sense of right and wrong, good and bad?
Both. Honestly it's very hard for me to determine which one dominates. Maybe more the second one, but then I see how other peoples' standards compare to my own and I can be upset when people don't agree with things I feel strongly about.

You don't think you can say you live for your own values no matter what with an example being you compromising your values to give into others. Does compromising your values hurt you internally, or go against what should be valued in society? Like, are you fighting for what the group/society would rather do when you're giving in to people? Or do you have an internal sense of morality that you're willing to compromise for other people's agendas?
It hurts me internally that I cannot be true to myself, but then I would feel guilty if I'm just going by my own selfish agenda and ignoring other people. If the majority want to do A and I want to do B and A is not harming anyone, it's just a matter of preference, then it makes sense for me to do A even if it's not I what I most prefer. It's about the most pleasure for the most people even if it means, I'm sacrificing my own agenda.

I'm getting Fi vibes here.

Anyway: What do you connect with more?

Fi knows that respecting individual human life and experience: 1) forms the foundation of our collective identity as a society (we can judge a society based on how it treats its individual members), 2) supports and makes space for the creative expression that society needs to flourish beyond mere survival, 3) anchors the self by imbuing thoughts and actions with moral significance, 4) reduces conflict by maximizing acceptance of individual differences, promoting freedom from group/societal conditioning so that everyone can renegotiate roles, duties, needs, desires, or goals as necessary (live and let live).

Fe knows that a strong social framework: 1) maintains the welfare and health of a group, community, society, 2) is expressed through the language of “ritualized” collective behaviors and obligations (e.g. greetings, celebrations, etc.), 3) provides an emotionally supportive foundation for freeing people to pursue individual creative interests, 4) reduces conflict by making social roles well-defined (instead of constantly negotiating duties)
I think Fi might fit me a little more than Fe but again, I'm not totally sure, the descriptions seem a bit vague. I especially relate to the part about "we can judge a society by how it treats its individual members." I'm not as interested in 'ritualized collective behaviors' but sometimes I can get caught up in the emotional atmosphere of celebrations. I guess I'm more interested in individuals expressing their uniqueness and creativity and having everyone respect that. I don't like the idea of 'well-defined' roles, that seems too rigid, but I also don't like having to continuously negotiate duties either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts