MotM 5/2015 | Bankslayer
13,347 Posts
Horrorhound/Nai and my boyfriend :blushed:

Reactions: Stable Genius

·
Registered
21 Posts
no heros, but inspiring people:

• Henry Chinaski, Alter ego of Charles Bukowski.
  • Douglas Adams, author of the Hitchhiker's Guide.
  • Hermann Hesse, for his book "Narcissus and Goldmund". It's such an impressive example of what the german language is capable of when it comes to linguistic beauty, grace, fondness and softness.
  • Byung-Chul Han, contemporary philosopher
  • Dozens of musicians I can't name all here. From Oskar Sala to Tommy Iommi (Black Sabbath). From Lee 'Scratch' Perry to Richard D. James (Aphex Twin). From Holger Czukay (Can) to William Bevan (Burial)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I don't have heroes, but I admire many of the qualities displayed by Thich Nhat Hanh. Apart from him, a few other Zen teachers and Prutt, the pandimensional chipmunk whose tail we know in this dimension as Terry Pratchett.

Reactions: trinitybat

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
I really look up to my late great uncle. He was a very cool guy and led a really amazing life. Hopped a train at 16 to find work during The Great Depression, flew suicide missions in WWII, moved out west and was a cowboy, hunted grizzly bears, swam Lake Michigan, wrestled alligators, just was a pretty cool guy all around.

I also look up to masters, innovators and legends in any field. Great musicians like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Jimi Hendrix, Mozart, Debussy, and Beethoven. Great Artists like Rembrandt, Monet, Van Gogh, Picasso, Dali and Pollock. Great military leaders like Alexander The Great, Napoleon, Washington, Churchill and Patton. Great leaders of business and industry like Carnegie, Howard Hughes, Donald Trump, and Richard Branson. Great writers like Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Joyce, Faulkner, and James.

All of these great people led extraordinary lives, were masters in their field, helped to innovate, drove culture, industry, and thinking forward, and affected real and lasting change in their lifetimes. These are the people I look up to and I study all of them. By studying how they think, how they worked and lived, I strengthen my own mind, broaden my own vision and push myself towards a greater realization of circumstance.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Katniss from the Hunger Games. I guess I resonate with her simultaneous strength and vulnerability, her human-ness. I think she is definitely an enneagram 6.

View attachment 241754
Agree. I think of Katniss as an ISTJ, but I find amazing how no one ever suggested her as an INFP. I could always relate to her very strongly and I think an INFP wouldn't behave very differently from her if being forced to feed their family out of the blue. And that including all her paranoia and general distrust with people who actually liked her (which is something I still have at times).

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Vincent Van Gogh. The man was a genius. It's sad what happened to him. I identify with him a lot, partly because I also enjoy making and viewing art, but also because he had such a sad life. I'm not sure if I have a sad life or not, but I'm certainly a sad person.

Let's see, who else?

Oh! Huckleberry Finn. My favorite fictional character by far. I thought he was just the bravest and kindest character I've ever read about, and I wish I had his courage.

And then there's Herbert Hoover. I never really knew much about him until I did a project on him in 8th grade for social studies class. He was also a genius, with great ideas. He gets blamed for the Great Depression, but honestly I think that's just bias in history books. I think he should have been re-elected in 1932, if he and his administration had been re-elected I think the United States would have recovered from the Great Depression more quickly. He's also kind of a tragic figure to me. In all my research on him, he was a very smart man with good ideas (at least to me) and I felt like he really got a lot of undeserved hate directed towards him, both during his presidency and all the way up to today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tommy Emmanuel; the guy's been playing guitar his whole life, he's at a level of mastery most people will never reach, and yet in every interview I've seen he comes across as a really humble, down-to-earth guy who's just happy he gets to play music for people.

Other than that, a lot of musicians, authors, and professors I've had. Smart, motivated, talented, humble people.

Reactions: trinitybat

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have several heroes.

Real People:

-Mohandas Ghandi (Why? Perhaps the biggest idealist in history and managed to gain the love of nations simply by good inspiration and doing what is right)
-Albert Einstein (Why? An introverted thinker who manages to crack several important secrets of the universe, and is himself the manifestation of reason. He is a confident man, given that he doesn't give a crap with his messy hair and not wearing socks.)
-Emperor Marcus Aurelius (Why? His views on stoicism was an important part in building my self-confidence and helped guide my life in the right direction)

Fictional Characters
-Sherlock Holmes (A man of reason and critical thinking. He tends to be a bit of an outlandish thinker as well)
-Agent Phil Coulson from Marvel (He's pretty much the very definition of an INFP badass. He wears a suit, has a funny smile, a bit of an idealist, tends to idolize certain things, but inspires people by doing what he believes in.)
-Samwise Gangee from Lord of the Rings (Most loyal character ever, but I greatly admire his bravery).

2,781 Posts
I was really inspired by the stories of their lives... there was so much about them that resonated with me. I also included quotes that reminded me of their lives.

Saint Kateri Tekakwitha (also known as Lily of the Mohawks)

“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.”
~Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Louis *Big Louie* Moilanen (Once the tallest man in the world)

"We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents. We do not choose our historical epoch, the country of our birth, or the immediate circumstances of our upbringing. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live."
~Joseph Epstein

W. K. Kellogg (founded the Kellogg Company)

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
~C. S. Lewis

·
Registered
42 Posts
As far as fictional goes: Atticus Finch & Bertie Wooster (I wish I was as care-free)

Real: The usual friends & family (apart form my father) Simon Amstell, Robert Sean Leonard & A.E. Housman

The majority being male, no idea why...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Patrick Stump, from fall out boy (I know, I know, everyone judges me when I say I look up to a member of Fall Out Boy).
I guess I just admire to his ability to treat the world and everyone in it with respect in love, even though he spent most of his life being put down by the people in it.

"When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you." ~Patrick Stump

Tyler Joseph
He seems to be one of the few people who understands that our lives are short and meaningless.
Instead of complaining about pointless things that everyone seems to care about in our world, like how some chick broke up with him, he understands that it's all meaningless, and that whatever she did to him won't matter once he dies, but instead of being depressed by the fact that life is meaningless and that none of us will ever really matter, he's inspired by the fact that our lives are fleeting, and uses it as inspiration to do the best he can with it, to follow his dreams, help others, and be grateful for every second here on earth no matter the circumstance. It's hard to explain I guess. I don't know why but no one else really seems to understand it, much less see it that way.

"you've got one time to figure it out, one time to twist and one time to shout, one time to think and I say we start now, because death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit" ~Tyler Joseph

They've both really inspired me to be happy with my life no matter what, and try to help others feel the same about theirs. Both INFPs, so that might be part of why I look up to them so much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dang, this is a tough one. If I were to go with my knee-jerk reaction, I'd look to my favorite fictional characters because I often find that my favorites are my favorites because some part of them resonates with me.

Some that come to mind include:
- Izuku Midoriya & Eijiro Kirishima from My Hero Academia
- Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon (specifically the films)
- Newt Scamander, Luna Lovegood, & Cedric Diggory from the Harry Potter franchise

I could go on for hours about why all of these resonate so much with me, but it'd make an extremely long and tedious post-- so I'll refrain. ^^"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts