Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey PerCa members! I've been wrestling with the MBTI now for some time, and I'm getting a little confused.

The first time I took the test (16personalities.com) I got ENTP. After learning the difference between extraverts and introverts, I realized i was the latter, so I assumed INTP. However, upon learning about the cognitive functions, I became pretty sure I was an Ni dom, and because of my inclination towards the natural sciences, I immediately assumed INTJ. However, I think I might be getting tricked by the stereotype that only NTs enjoy mathematics and science and I may actually be an INFJ.
In short, I identify as an INxJ, and I'm hoping you can help me solve that little x.
Some background info: I'm 18, male, last year of high school, and I plan to study Physics when I go to college.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

Mainly the FeTi vs FiTe.
I have always been a very polite and well spoken person, even as a child. My child behaviour is pretty much the definition of INFJ (I asked my mother to read both INFJ and INTJ children descriptions and she says that she can see parts of me in the latter, but the former is a near perfect description; I'd post the link but my post count is to low, they are found here in PerCa and are called "The development of INxJ children", whith the x corresponding to T or F) but in more recent years I have become a somewhat cold and blunt person.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

To understand the mind of the universe. This cold, uncaring, indifferent God. This infinitely complex system ruled by poetically simple and elegant rules.
And at the same time, I struggle between wanting for myself to feel truly understood by someone else; and to not fool myself, staying true to the undeniable fact that we're irredeemably alone inside our minds.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I will have to mention a weekend I spent as part of an application for a scholarship. We were 20 people, aged 16-18, and spent 3 days in a house in a forest, being conducted and observed by 5 ex-students of such schools.

It was an enlightening experience. It was the moment in my life in which I felt the most that I was acting as my true self. We debated ethical themes, we participated in team activities. I managed to both assume leadership and get my hands dirty in the menial tasks. I was brilliant and humble at the same time: I wasn't bothering with showing off my intellectual skills as I do often, only doing what had to be done. When I spoke in the debates, my voice felt strangely powerful, filled with both rational logic and compassionate wisdom, and people looked at me not with the usual nodding of recognizing the cleverness of my statement, but with the starry eyes of true admiration and respect.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

When I do something selfish, I usually fell bitter afterwards. When I'me intellectually surpassed, I normally feel a little worthless too.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I avoid utilitarianism, and tend to make my decisions based on principle rather than result. I try fair to others and myself, and when it comes to people, I tend to value long term development over immediate niceness.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I tend to start by building an image of my final goal that is very clear, therefore, I enjoy controlling this outcome; the procedure, however, feels as if it is developed subconsciously, as I give it little thought, but it somehow "appears", and I instinctively know to steps that will lead me to it. I have a tendency to lead in group projects, although it isn't very important to me, if there is another competent leader.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I spent a week representing the school abroad in a youth campus. There I met a girl (ENFP) with whom I formed the fastest connection in my life; we went for walks around town at night, we stayed up all night talking and pretty much fell for one another instantly (note that this is extremely unusual to me, I'm still overwhelmed by how fast it went, and it definitely altered my perception on love)

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I try to reduce the object of study to its simplest form, and to understand the very roots that define it. It's an extremely theoretical procedure, that might take some time, but once it's done, I'll never forget it and gain a very deep insight into the subject.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Above average. I might get a little sloppy with some aspects of physical organization, when it isn't affecting efficiency, but I'm rigorous in thought and work that I deem important, although I tend to cut some slack if I see no benefits of an assignment.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

The first (experimental data is boring :p all hail Paul Dirac!): I try to analyse the logical consistency of the idea, even if it isn't true it might be an interesting exercise (conspiracy theories are fun!)

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

My personal values and beliefs are very important to me, more than belonging to a group, although someone who genuinely shares them is someone of great value to me. I find that in big groups, most people are conforming to the prevalent opinion, and I tend to judge negatively individuals that tightly follow a collective pattern.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I think before I speak, and prefer one on one, as you can much better understand and be understood. However I have found individual interviews stressful, especially if I'm being questioned by multiple people, and in such cases prefer a group setting, as I feel more protected.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I do my best to always have the most information possible when I know the situation in which I'll be involved. However, when it's time to take action or make a decision, I do not hesitate: I believe that you should always act like you know exactly what to do; because when you don't, all the mistakes you'll end up doing make it the fastest way to learn anything.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

If it's someone in my closest circle I'll go unless it's a night that involves very loud music and dancing. In that case (or if anyone else invites me) I'll probably refuse.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I tend to get judgmental, and may react in a verbally violent way. I tend to get defensive and to directly point others flaws in a very accurate manner.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

The most common one is lack of intelligence, but that usually brings me pity more than disdain (I can be kind of an intellectual elitist sometimes).
Other than that, I absolutely detest dishonesty, corruption and power abuse. I have very violent reactions to any of those, especially hypocrisy.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Physics, philosophy and religion. For me, these are the fundamental questions of the universe, and there is no more fascinating theme.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

The technical details of life, the things that have no meaning except making something useful work. These are found in everything from mathematics to etiquette. Although I end up knowing them out of sheer necessity, they always feel like a waste of time when more fundamental things are to be found.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

I think they see me as a paragon of logic, which isn't very true. I have very good reasoning skills, but I determine my judgments on instinct, and then I justify them with logic. I'm also a very passionate person, but I don't often let that show.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

I'll probably stay home alone reading, playing piano, some videogames, and occasionally I'll turn the lights out and sit in a dark room thinking. I might invite some close friends over. I enjoy walks in the dark alone (or with one other person) too. I find that being outside at night, vulnerable, simultaneously brings out the philosopher and the primal animalistic creature inside all of us.

·
Registered
615 Posts
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type? Mainly the FeTi vs FiTe.
So obviously, this is what I'm focusing on. Given these:

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I avoid utilitarianism, and tend to make my decisions based on principle rather than result. I try fair to others and myself, and when it comes to people, I tend to value long term development over immediate niceness.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I try to reduce the object of study to its simplest form, and to understand the very roots that define it. It's an extremely theoretical procedure, that might take some time, but once it's done, I'll never forget it and gain a very deep insight into the subject.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

The first (experimental data is boring :p all hail Paul Dirac!): I try to analyse the logical consistency of the idea, even if it isn't true it might be an interesting exercise (conspiracy theories are fun!)

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Other than that, I absolutely detest dishonesty, corruption and power abuse. I have very violent reactions to any of those, especially hypocrisy.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

The technical details of life, the things that have no meaning except making something useful work. These are found in everything from mathematics to etiquette. Although I end up knowing them out of sheer necessity, they always feel like a waste of time when more fundamental things are to be found.
I feel like you may lean more to Fe/Ti. (And I know you didn't ask, but I did see Ni as well, which is always pleasant in these situations.) I bolded the parts that just rang this combo. I know some could be used as proof of Fi, mostly #11, but I think Ti especially is a lot more obvious. I included the hypocrisy bit because it can be a product of tertiary Ti (also tertiary Ni, actually, but I don't think that's the case here).

What do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!
I mostly agree with you. Although I find myself leaning more towards Fe/Ti, I usually have strong personal values and if they are crossed I do not avoid conflict, which sounds like Fi. That's my biggest source of doubts in this matter, along with my inclination towards the natural sciences. Although I can see that relating to Ni and tertiary Ti, (and there is a surprising amount of Fe pleasing harmony there too).

·
Registered
615 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the science bit. As for values, that can be a way that Fi presents for sure, but I'm not generally the best to speak to about that (total weak spot for me). I can assure you that Fe does not stop you from having strong personal values or from acting on them, but it's hard to tell which is which online.

I know this is just anecdotal, so take it with caution, but I know two Fi doms (one S, the other N) and two Fe doms (one S, one N). Both of these Fi doms tend to avoid conflict because that's one of their values, but they can be set off if you push them long enough. Neither Fe dom backs off for the sake of superficial peace (the ENFJ does this more than the ESFJ, but this particular ENFJ is pretty feisty), as they both prefer a more significant harmony within the group, not a fake "let's agree to disagree" pact in the midst of strong opposing values. So that's just something to consider - your preferred attitude of Feeling doesn't perfectly predict how far you'll go in an argument or fight.

Continuing along the Te/Fi consideration, do you see any Te in you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mostly when debating or in a work environment, especially planning phases, or when someone presents me an idea I find ridiculous, offensive or that can stop me from attaining my goals. In those cases I feel focused, to-the-point, blunt, and with a very pragmatic and skeptical thought process (although it usually leaves me kind of moody, so perhaps it could be "mean" Ti? Te usually has a bulldozer reputation) . However, I also have an "ungrounded" sort of thought proccess, like I explained in 10, which I'm not sure if it could be attributed to Ti or Ni. From their descriptions, there are areas in which they seem to overlap.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
@Lowden. The whole "intellectual" bit made me want to gag, even though I am likely the same way. It was reminiscent of Beta aristocratic values. That and you described that survey experiment objectively, which seemed to me to be Se. I'd say INFJ, though that is by no means certain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Raawx, that didn't sound as I intended probably. It's not something of which I'm proud or that I advocate. But if I'm honest with myself, I tend to hold some bias against people that appear less educated or "intelligent". I recognize it is an aspect in which I have to work: I'm aware that I am in no position to judge any of those people, nor are those parameters more valid than any others in the plethora of human qualities one can draw from. I believe that my study of the MBTI has been the main trigger for me to understand that, and I consider it to be my most recent breakthrough in personal growth; although it still isn't my first natural response.

Regarding your analysis, I'm not familiar with Socionics, although upon googling these beta aristocratic values, it seems like a good way to help me determine my type. I'll be sure to check that out!

·
Registered
159 Posts
@Lowden here are some questions for you. Please elaborate in your answers.

Do you prefer to make decisions as soon as possible or to leave things undecided for as long as possible?

Is it enough to learn something for the sake of learning it or do you usually have a goal in mind?

To what extent do your or other people's feelings affect your decision making?

You have been given the "Most important person on earth" award. What did you do to deserve the honour?

Ideally in what ways would you want your actions to affect the world around you?

You are at a social event where you notice that one of the people is acting up. What is your impression of the situation? Does it bother you? Do you feel the urge to do anything?

Is it ok to be flexible with your opinions in order to get along in a social group?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts