Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been holding this question for a while, I decided to finally discuss it with you.

So, the result of this test shows I'm a INTP. Long time ago, when I took this test for the first time, it was INFP, with a slight difference in the feeling/thinking field. Just as it is now, actually. I had, like, 53% feeling or something.

The first test I took about this subject was a brazilian version, wich told me I'm INFP. And it still tells me I'm INFP nowadays.

I really consider myself to be INFP, because I act more like one and have more characteristics of it. I'm an idealist, after all. But I also think I'm more logical and less sensitive to feelings than most of INFPs. Maybe that's why the difference in the thinking/logical is minimum. Although I still like and can easily deal with my own feelings and other people's feelings.

Maybe I just have a somewhat high logical thinking, wich doesn't interfere in my INFP characteristics.

I noticed people around here hated math, while I loved it back at school.

What do you think?

The Multiple Intelligences part is totally correct about me, by the way.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
When I first tested, I came up as an INTP several times, but I knew it wasn't right. At the time I was in school and was doing a lot of very logic based math and chemistry (the only classes that I actually did my homework in when I bothered to do homework) and I think that really colored my way of processing the questions since when I took the test later that same year while out of school, I tested as an INFP without a doubt. Something similar could be going on for you.

If I remember correctly, you're studying in university in a hard science, bio, right? That could very easily make it so that your Te is much more active and affecting your testing than it otherwise would be. And, like you said, you may already have been on the cusp between T/F.

If you really want to have a more definite answer, try taking a look at the functions and think about how you may utilize them in your life. If you're primary function appears to be Fi, then you're pretty much an INFP, if it's Ti, then you're more likely to be an INTP.

Or you can just go with what feels most accurate to you and it sounds like that would be INFP. Personally, I rather think you ought to stick with us, you're a pretty cool cat. :cool:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Over time, I've occasionally tested as an INTP as well. I grew up with a T father and and ENTJ brother who constantly whittled away at my F. Being in a cutthroat 24/7 hyper logical atmosphere 24/7 , forced me to push down the F, I do everything quite slow, constantly analyzing all objective angles with logic. I love sciences.

I've cried maybe 3 times in my entire life, talk about my own feelings in a pretty monotone clinical voice and have had a therapist point out that I look at everything from a logic and rational perspective, and that I could get much more in life if I got in touch with my hidden core feelings.

Buttt...I feel for others, I don't shy away from other people's feelings, I'm always the go to guy in emotional crises. I dream about harmony, beauty, nature, helping, giving, etc. I could put on ear plugs in a crowded room and accurately point out what every person is feeling inside, without them saying a word.

More instinctually I know I'm an INFP, which is what I hear you saying. I don't know of any other type that would want or choose to be an INFP, haha, you kind of have to be one to really see/feel the inner intangible rewards and payoffs, because the negatives are all there on paper and there's lots !

If nothing else it sounds like you have a great balance going on , so who cares about the label.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Pretty much all INFP's have their own variations to different things.

It's possible that you're a more logically developed INFP and the test shows you as INTP.

I've tested as an IXFP during my very first time taking the test, but I know without a doubt after reading the description for INFP's and ISFP's for myself, that I'm an INFP.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I've scored ENFP a couple times, and even ESFP once. i do relate a bit to ENFP descriptions but overall bsed on dexription and functiion ordering..blah balh blah i'm am a fucknig INFP. your multiple intelligences test seems like balance feeling/thinking as well. I'm pretty sure INTP is the most common INFP mistype so if you feel confident your a feeler you are(no pun intended)

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Never base your own identification a simple test. Read type descriptions, get an understanding of the basic nature of each type, talk to INTPs and INFPs, and figure out for yourself which one you identify with. I will say that such high Verbal/Linguistic and Logico-Mathematical intelligence MIGHT indicate a higher Ti (introverted Thinking) than an INFP is generally associated with.

·
Registered
420 Posts
People continue to grow and evolve in their early years. Hell your brain is still developing up till your mid twenties. When I first discovered the MBTI tests four or five years ago I tested INFJ over five times (I have a thing about being able to replicate results). Yet for the past year I have used over 4 different MBTI tests and score consistently as an INFP. Hell my P rates in at 100% with J at 0% now.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have developed my T a lot these days. I think it's great because while having an F is good, it is also important that you step back, analyze your situation, and make sound decisions based on your logic.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
It is VERY common for an INFP to test INTP. Many MBTI tests have a bias towards Extroverted Feeling (Fe) in the questions which determine T/F, so INFPs may end up choosing the T answers. Look into the cognitive functions. INFPs use Fi (Introverted Feeling) as their dominant function and INTPs use Ti (Introverted Thinking). We both use Ne (Extroverted Intuition), which is where much of our similarity lies.

As you learn about the functions, you will also see that both Feeling functions (Fe & Fi) are RATIONAL. Feeling is a rational thought process that determines value. It is NOT emotion.

BTW, I am great at math and enjoy it. I've heard other INFPs say something similar. There are a lot of statistics which support that INFPs are often very book smart & score high on IQ tests, so being good at math does not seem strange to me.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't rely on the test, understand what these concepts mean and assess yourself on your own.

F doesn't mean we're not logical, *sigh* :dry: that's a common misconception

F means we give more weight to our emotions and values, and our goal is to achieve happiness/harmony rather than "getting things done on time and on budget".

Someone with a strong T preference will find our choices "irrational" because they don't result in getting things done in the way a T person wants.

Needless to say, emotions *can* cloud our judgement, but it's not necessary at all.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've heard on my travels that there isn't an overly huge difference between Fi and Ti anyway, I've even heard once that they are essentially the same function with the main difference being the difference in perspective. If that's true then I wouldn't worry too much about it, be either what you feel is right or what your intuition is telling you what you are.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I've heard on my travels that there isn't an overly huge difference between Fi and Ti anyway, I've even heard once that they are essentially the same function with the main difference being the difference in perspective. If that's true then I wouldn't worry too much about it, be either what you feel is right or what your intuition is telling you what you are.
Yes, Jung does say that "Everything, therefore, that we have said about introverted thinking is equally true of introverted feeling, only here everything is felt while there it was thought "

I take this to mean we're judging based on a different premise. Ti has a framework of internal logic it references and Fi has a model of the ideal, which is why we prefer to make value judgments.

If I remember correctly, Fe & Fi have the same function - to determine value. But Fi & Ti have the same attitude, which means they judge based on an internal measure.

Reactions: ubuntuella

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see what all you guys say.

I agree with you. Specially with faeriegal713 and rowingineden, when he says that I should not base my identification on a simple test. As I said, I consider myself to be an INFP, really.

Interesting thing about the feeling function being rational. I always thought something like that, actually.

F doesn't mean we're not logical, *sigh* :dry: that's a common misconception
Hey, I didnt say that. I just said my thinking result might just be a reflex of me being more influenced by logical thinking. Scientific logic, that is (I do study Bio and scored high in mathematical, after all). Wich is different from saying F means we're not logical.

If you ask me, I would say that I always thought of thinking and feeling being connected. When I have something to deal with, for me it's logical that I act taking in consideration the feelings involved. I don't know if you guys can understand what I mean.

Also, I think I'm a pretty cool cat. :cool:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
When I have something to deal with, for me it's logical that I act taking in consideration the feelings involved. I don't know if you guys can understand what I mean.

Also, I think I'm a pretty cool cat. :cool:
I understand completely and you just answered your own question with that one sentence. A thinker may consider feelings, but they will not truly sway their decisions or opinions. A feeler will not only consider feelings while in the process of making decisions, but they will be taken into account and be part of the decision making process.

To be honest, it's one of the things that confuses thinkers the most - we can be as straightforward as they are about some things, but in others, they just cannot follow our thought processes and how in the world we came up with that particular decision, opinion or whatnot.

Reactions: Roze and Dary
1 - 16 of 16 Posts