Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, So recently I've been pondering something very interesting. Why do we party? Why do we need to get drunk to be with each other? Why is it that the ones who are different are casted out, only to be treated like trash for such rudimentary things and in some cases beautiful?
Partying and drinking, things that seem so fun. Things so many in our generation live for. Why? Drinking and partying seems to be the easiest way to connect with one another. So we all do it in some way or another. People seem to be no longer able to actually socialize with one another without things like alcohol or even social media. We create these barriers between eachother. But for what? Why? What makes us so afraid of one another?
So I have this theory, and please I hope for no one to be offended as this is just something I've considered. Intuitives are treated as different.
In many cases, outcasts and even for the extroverted, among the intuitives, such as ENFP, ENTP, ENFJ, ect. are in many cases alone in a sea of sensors and a sea of friends, but nothing really clicks. Intuitives are the idea makers the weird kids who are considered weird until they have an idea that is so powerful that it goes across that spectrum of enough differences to really spark something, a change. Sensors in a way slowly but eventually can make those ideas a reality.
The people who put it out there for the world and really make the change happen. They are the doers of the world and its amazing how they are so in sync with one another. Sensors have a connection among one another and that is why things for them are so together in trends, language, music, and so on. Intuitives can sometimes regard their ways as shallow and close minded, but I don't think it's that. I think its that they are in a way like ants, they are together and focused. Its amazing to me! Intuitives are more rare but i think thats an important part of our place in society. We are the odd ones, the deep feelers, and thinkers, the innovators of society. Our place is to make the ideas, we create the match so the sensors can start the fire.
I didn't know that was going to be so tangential so I didn't get to finish my other questions.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I remember remarking the same things when I went to a big party for the first time. The cowardice and refusal to deal with or even acknowledge their personal issues is harrowing.

You clearly have a very good understanding of the N/S dichotomy. Some people think that Ns are superior and that Sensors are stupid, but we both know that's not the case. Like you said, Sensors can understand eachother realy well without too much trouble, while finding other Ns and connecting with them is really hard for an N, but we feel much more accomplishment from the struggles that we go through.
I often express it as: Sensors will take the bumpy road that goes straight ahead, while Ns will go looking for the perfect, smoothest road. Yes, driving on a smooth road is much easier, but finding one isn't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm an ENFP and I don't feel like the odd guy at a party at all. It's not like I live my life trying to type people in my head all the time so most of the time I'm not even aware if the person I'm talking to is a sensor or not.

I don't think we're outcasts or rare at all. We're not special in any way. The way we perceive things might be different, but all in all it's just about your interests. If you're talking to someone who's interested in the same things as you are, it doesn't matter if they're a sensor or intuitives at all.

If you feel that nothing really clicks with people because you're in a sea of sensors, then maybe you should do some self-reflection and try to figure out why it doesn't click. Maybe just maybe it's your own fault for it not clicking.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
It's an interesting theory, but it's not universally true. I've never been the party girl, and drinking alcohol isn't something I do frequently. I don't feel that I fit in very well with society, but I'm okay with that... kinda like/prefer that to be honest. I don't like surrounding myself with douchebags, lol. But honestly, one can be emotionally deep, highly intelligent, come up with great ideas, AND make shit happen out in the real world. None of these things are mutually exclusive to sensors or intuitives. And sensors get lonely and feel different and isolated, too. I think this "being connected" to each other thing is not as prominent as you think it is among sensors.

·
MOTM November 2013
2,702 Posts
People seem to be no longer able to actually socialize with one another without things like alcohol
No more or less than any other time.

Also, put me down as another who doesn't drink much.

·
[dis]illusioned
3,578 Posts
@J Squirrel I rarely drink either... we should have a non-drinking contest. Not to boast but I would probably win :p.

Sensors have a connection among one another and that is why things for them are so together in trends, language, music, and so on.
I have a connection amongst others? News to me! :laughing:

Anyways, I think your definitions are perhaps a bit too rigidly defined. Food for thought: If one proclaims to be open-minded but then criticizes another as close-minded, is this not, in turn, a form of close-mindedness? That makes my head spin which is why I disliked making value judgments in that way... when people judge others as "too deep" or "too shallow"... it's like, hmm.... maybe from the outside perspective it can seem apparently shallow (say, enjoying talking about the weather), but perhaps inwardly, they are building their own rich inner perspective or "fantasy" of the weather as a character itself. Can you read the so-called "shallow person's" mind?

Perhaps there is more going on than meets the eye. Or not, because I'm a dumb sensor that can't read people's mind.

Admittedly, I am not fond of Keirsey because his categorizations amount to what is, IMO, a model for social engineering, where the sensors "do the grunt work" whereas

I'm fond of this definition by Jung; it balances the functions in such a way that it becomes more... objective and mechanical. IMO, there's soooo much bias when people start describing intuition as "deep" or sensing as "shallow."

Jung: These four functional types correspond to the obvious means by which consciousness obtains its orientation to experience. Sensation (i.e. sense perception) tells us that something exists; thinking tells you what it is; feeling tells you whether it is agreeable or not; and intuition tells you whence it comes and where it is going.

I tend to think of Sensing-Intuition as yin-yang... these aspects of our cognition are inextricably intertwined (it's kind of erotic, isn't it?).

For instance, using Jung's definitions:

That which exists (sensing) gives way to what is to come (intuition). Moreover, isn't what is to come borne out of what exists? These things exist, IMO, as an ebb and flow; akin to a sinusoidal wave that oscillates between existence and non-existence. Therefore, I prefer to think of functions as pairs of opposites, yin-yang. Light and darkness. Male and female. These are archetypes, of course. there is a whole spectrum that is more complex, but I think that general divide exists.... just as the earth experiences predominantly day and night:

Isn't it so cool that, at every second, the sun is rising somewhere? That at every second there is someone waking up and another going to sleep? One on their coffee break, one ditching class, etc.? All that is happening now, at this very second.

·
MOTM November 2013
2,702 Posts

·
[dis]illusioned
3,578 Posts
Did you get cut off from the Sensor Hive Mind?
Ouch dude, just... ouch.

No, I'm really just a hipster even by hipster standards.

Anyways, cheers. That's root beer you've got in those mugs, yes?

·
MOTM November 2013
2,702 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts