Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a problem. I learned about MBTI in the beginning of this year and was initially shocked after reading the accuracy of the profile. I was amazed! I felt understood for once in my life, like I wasn't crazy after all. But as time has gone by I've found myself constantly questioning what my type is and I can't seem to stop. Over and over again I continuously question and test myself (like seeing if I think like an ENFP is supposed to think in life). I feel like I'm obsessed with it and I can't seem to get it out of my head. I also can't help but compare myself to other people and over analyze everything I think and do to what I see them doing, comparing their personalities to mine to see if I'm really an ENFP. I am doing this all the time. When I was younger, and even earlier in my high school career, the way my mind worked was without a doubt extroverted intuition. I would switch subjects with the drop of a hat, constantly forget things, and my writing was pretty great, even in sixth grade. I remember saying "People think I'm random, but I can tell them exactly how I reached the new topic" and saying "I adapt to every person I am talking to" even before I knew MBTI existed. Even now I can read peoples feelings like reading a Dr. Seuss book and my friends tell me it's amazing how I know exactly what they're feeling even before they really understand it. All of the people I associate with are sensors and like an ENFP I've adapted my personality to best suit theirs. I've also grown up in a very religious family in which I've had to live a double life with my friends vs what my family expects of me, which is a very conservative (they're Jehovah's Witnesses by the way).I can't talk to them and answer questions I have because I know I'll get biased answers so it's ultimately a waste of time. For so many years I have wanted to be popular and hang out with the cool crowd to party and experience things but I feel like I've had to tone down and change so much of myself, which has left me feeling distant and alone from everyone else, not saying that its because I'm for sure intuitive, just saying. I feel like whenever I think I am constantly thinking about if I'm an enfp or not and whenever I even make an intuitive jump its ruined by the thought of being and enfp and it clouds my whole mind all the time. I feel like I am losing myself at this point and I've felt like this before, in the sense of losing my identity. I don't know who I am anymore. Are these enfp traits or am I just imagining them. Is this obsession inferior si, help.

I know I've written a novel here but please take the time to read or skim whateva :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
So, I have a problem. I learned about MBTI in the beginning of this year and was initially shocked after reading the accuracy of the profile. I was amazed! I felt understood for once in my life, like I wasn't crazy after all. But as time has gone by I've found myself constantly questioning what my type is and I can't seem to stop. Over and over again I continuously question and test myself (like seeing if I think like an ENFP is supposed to think in life). I feel like I'm obsessed with it and I can't seem to get it out of my head. I also can't help but compare myself to other people and over analyze everything I think and do to what I see them doing, comparing their personalities to mine to see if I'm really an ENFP. I am doing this all the time. When I was younger, and even earlier in my high school career, the way my mind worked was without a doubt extroverted intuition. I would switch subjects with the drop of a hat, constantly forget things, and my writing was pretty great, even in sixth grade. I remember saying "People think I'm random, but I can tell them exactly how I reached the new topic" and saying "I adapt to every person I am talking to" even before I knew MBTI existed. Even now I can read peoples feelings like reading a Dr. Seuss book and my friends tell me it's amazing how I know exactly what they're feeling even before they really understand it. All of the people I associate with are sensors and like an ENFP I've adapted my personality to best suit theirs. I've also grown up in a very religious family in which I've had to live a double life with my friends vs what my family expects of me, which is a very conservative (they're Jehovah's Witnesses by the way).I can't talk to them and answer questions I have because I know I'll get biased answers so it's ultimately a waste of time. For so many years I have wanted to be popular and hang out with the cool crowd to party and experience things but I feel like I've had to tone down and change so much of myself, which has left me feeling distant and alone from everyone else, not saying that its because I'm for sure intuitive, just saying. I feel like whenever I think I am constantly thinking about if I'm an enfp or not and whenever I even make an intuitive jump its ruined by the thought of being and enfp and it clouds my whole mind all the time. I feel like I am losing myself at this point and I've felt like this before, in the sense of losing my identity. I don't know who I am anymore. Are these enfp traits or am I just imagining them. Is this obsession inferior si, help.

I know I've written a novel here but please take the time to read or skim whateva :)
Don't stress about the MBTI results. Remember the personality types are guidelines to the real you. No two ENFPs are exactly alike. From what it sounds like, those are ENFP traits. I tend to become obsessive when learning something new, especially about myself. Sometimes major life changes makes me question myself or if I respond to a situation that surprises me. You mentioned how you were amazed at how much you related to the ENFP in the beginning. What changed and what made you start questioning yourself?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't stress about the MBTI results. Remember the personality types are guidelines to the real you. No two ENFPs are exactly alike. From what it sounds like, those are ENFP traits. I tend to become obsessive when learning something new, especially about myself. Sometimes major life changes makes me question myself or if I respond to a situation that surprises me. You mentioned how you were amazed at how much you related to the ENFP in the beginning. What changed and what made you start questioning yourself?
It seems like I can't make the intuitive imaginative jumps I used to, I also think I'm depressed which might have something to do with it but I'm not sure I feel like so many of my enfo qualities are gone and even when I try to relax I over think them and they still don't seem to come back

·
Registered
114 Posts
It seems like I can't make the intuitive imaginative jumps I used to, I also think I'm depressed which might have something to do with it but I'm not sure I feel like so many of my enfo qualities are gone and even when I try to relax I over think them and they still don't seem to come back
It sounds like you're in an unhealthy state.. obviously if you think you're depressed. Anyway, unless you're working on a project with a deadline, what are you worrying about? You need to focus on making you, you again. What are some of your favorite hobbies? Get away from your thoughts with a close friend or family member. Someone who has a way of making you comfortable and helps you get out of your head for awhile. If you really are depressed try talking to a physician or therapist. If you're worried and focused on knowing yourself all at once, you're just going to disappoint yourself. We are constantly growing and changing as people. Which means constant learning and being self-aware. Hang in there buddy, you'll get out of your funk in no time! :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like you're in an unhealthy state.. obviously if you think you're depressed. Anyway, unless you're working on a project with a deadline, what are you worrying about? You need to focus on making you, you again. What are some of your favorite hobbies? Get away from your thoughts with a close friend or family member. Someone who has a way of making you comfortable and helps you get out of your head for awhile. If you really are depressed try talking to a physician or therapist. If you're worried and focused on knowing yourself all at once, you're just going to disappoint yourself. We are constantly growing and changing as people. Which means constant learning and being self-aware. Hang in there buddy, you'll get out of your funk in no time! :)
I hope for the best it's just finding people that I can be real around that'll be tricky, but it'll work out eventually! Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope for the best it's just finding people that I can be real around that'll be tricky, but it'll work out eventually! Thanks

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
1. Please use paragraphs. I'm not talking for my sake, since I don't have to read what you post. I'm talking for your sake, since people will be more likely to read and therefore help if you do.

2. Please click link in my signature below. In theory it should answer all your questions, although it has been so long since I've been a beginner that I don't necessarily know how easily a beginner will be able to interpret this guide I've created 6 years later.

·
Registered
153 Posts

I can relate so much. :kitteh: Everything I do, in the back of my mind is a voice nagging me: "Is this Ne or something else?"

I feel like this a paradox. ENFPs tend to overanalyze and think of new ways to see things with Ne, which is exactly what you're doing now. :tongue:

EDIT: You're depressed too? So am I!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can relate so much. :kitteh: Everything I do, in the back of my mind is a voice nagging me: "Is this Ne or something else?"

I feel like this a paradox. ENFPs tend to overanalyze and think of new ways to see things with Ne, which is exactly what you're doing now. :tongue:

EDIT: You're depressed too? So am I!
But that being said are you saying that that's what Ne does to make you feel more secure about your type...hmm

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
1. Please use paragraphs. I'm not talking for my sake, since I don't have to read what you post. I'm talking for your sake, since people will be more likely to read and therefore help if you do.

2. Please click link in my signature below. In theory it should answer all your questions, although it has been so long since I've been a beginner that I don't necessarily know how easily a beginner will be able to interpret this guide I've created 6 years later.
Thanks for that I appreciate your help, but my problem isn't really about knowing what the functions do....it's more about me constantly questioning if everything I do and think relates to Ne and I've found that it's almost impossible for me to find out if I'm analyzing myself because then I'm not sure if it's real or something I'm doing to fit the mold which leaves me wondering completely who I am.
Paragraphs :) Although this mbti stuff doesn't say exactly what my personality us supposed to be like I feel like it's a great way to help me know, but thought this process I've been left here completely questioning who am as a person only to find that I have no idea who I am or what my talents are. For example, the other day I was watching a movie and I didn't get this one joke right away which made me wonder if I'm intuitive shouldn't I have gotten that joke right away.... which made me wonder am I actually intuitive leading me to what if I'm a sensor but that being said if I were a sensor u should have the qualities of a sensor in which a lot of them I don't have, or maybe I'm just telling myself that I don't have them because I've been lead to believe I was intuitive....my life. I do things like this all the time and mits impossible for me to know if my brain is being occupied by these thoughts. And another thing even when I do feel like I'm using Ne I question if I'm actually using it because it's my function or if it's because I'm telling myself thag I'm using it. Even the fact that I went on this tangent about this makes me wonder if I did this because I'm tangential from Ne or if there's actually no correlation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts