Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you really systematize knowledge in your minds, like some of the descriptions say you do?

Are your mental spaces organized? Do you have filing cabinets in your brains?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Maybe, No, Sort of.

I have compartments, try to figure out patterns to make things easier to remember and like to cross reference between different fields.

·
Registered
1NXP549
3,162 Posts
Yes I like to keep things in a certain order. I will research at length to fill out empty spaces in a particular timeline and the dates need to be correct so that I can see how things develop from one thing to the next but that's only when I'm researching the history of something I'm particlarly interested in.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh god no.

My knowledge is a beautiful sludge, a primordial ooze of very important things waiting to make the right connection and morph into something the universe never knew was possible.
Yeah, that's more like mine. High five.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I wouldn't describe it as a system, but it's logically consistent. I am constantly searching for ideas and information that can break my "internal model". So, the stuff that remains intact is fairly solid. I also like to simplify ideas because I don't like to remember things. This is why sometimes my solutions to problems are simple, but if I have to explain the steps to get to the simple solution, I can write an essay about it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Consciously no, not really. Unconsciously yes, there's some sort of system but I'm not really aware of it, it just happens and I use it. Mental models aren't systemic but more associative, like how a hypertext page works.

I've changed my mind on my cognitive functions recently and fairly convinced I'm Ni and Te valuing rather than Ti and Ne so that may explain my thought process.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Yeah, that's more like mine. High five.
Yeah I'm surprised there are folk here saying they compartmentalise things.

I'd have thought the P-ness in us leads to a much more sludge-like system of information storage.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Not really...the only system I use is "whatever interests me or makes a big impression gets remembered and everything else is forgotten." The person who said something about retained information being connected associatively, I can relate to that. It's like a mind map.

A few times, I managed to remember things I might otherwise have forgotten by using consciously employed memory strategies (which I guess is a kind of systematizing), but it was my focus on the memory strategies themselves that made the information stick, not so much actually employing the strategies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's like Wikipedia. Every thing I've thought about has it's own article with references and hyperlinks to connected articles. When I visit them I'll edit them to include new data or to remove things I no longer consider true.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do you really systematize knowledge in your minds, like some of the descriptions say you do?

Are your mental spaces organized? Do you have filing cabinets in your brains?
Actually not at all. It's like a Doraemon pocket. You want something you got it. But only something interesting would come out easily. If you are talking about daily chores, unimportant names, routine activities, it would take long time to call them.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Walks into my inner mind warehouse to get something. Oh the stacks of papers, but I think it's in this one. Yes, this is the stack. Picks up what I was looking for while looking at the memo underneath it. Whoa, look at that! Picks up different memo. I forgot about that. That's fascinating, and I just put a paper that goes with this one in a stack over here yesterday. Spends the next couple of hours randomly piecing together information from different stacks that makes a conglomerate of notes clarifying a subject. Now where did I lay down that first paper I came in to get.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Walks into my inner mind warehouse to get something. Oh the stacks of papers, but I think it's in this one. Yes, this is the stack. Picks up what I was looking for while looking at the memo underneath it. Whoa, look at that! Picks up different memo. I forgot about that. That's fascinating, and I just put a paper that goes with this one in a stack over here yesterday. Spends the next couple of hours randomly piecing together information from different stacks that makes a conglomerate of notes clarifying a subject. Now where did I lay down that first paper I came in to get.

Yeah, that's sort of like mine, too.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,594 Posts
I do organize things into categories. "Systemize" while the word kind of applies, I associate a constant organization so it's a kind of sort of thing... I have a single track mind in some aspects especially when it comes to figuring things out, but when accessing the information it all gets jumbled when trying to communicate to other people. If it's a new type of information, I take a little more time to sort it, and figure it out. It's certain types of information that just clicks, then other stuff doesn't quite fit.

My mind works with association, which helps me to remember, and understand. I can be a scatterbrain too, and the information is there, with staying power. But the right words don't come.

Reactions: GusWriter and Pippi

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not really...the only system I use is "whatever interests me or makes a big impression gets remembered and everything else is forgotten." The person who said something about retained information being connected associatively, I can relate to that. It's like a mind map.

A few times, I managed to remember things I might otherwise have forgotten by using consciously employed memory strategies (which I guess is a kind of systematizing), but it was my focus on the memory strategies themselves that made the information stick, not so much actually employing the strategies.
Yeah , I think is like seeing an impressionist painting Famous-Impressionist-Paintings-Featured.jpg .
The little details aren't so important to make a strong impression but that doesn't make that the little details are meaningless.

Actually, associating those small details with the message that your mind finds most important is one of the best strategies for Intp's.

·
Registered
INTP 1w9
8 Posts
My mind is more like a complex spiderweb. When something is referenced, all of the connected threads start to vibrate calling a wealth of related information about the subject. I guess it’s a kind of organized chaos.... when I get a new price of information I enjoy spending the time to connect its threads to every other bit of tangentially related information I possess.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts