Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This questions kinda relates to a post that I just made about my entp little boy, for anyone who may have noticed... :happy:

If you were raised by any of these two types, what was the experience like?? What is the good and bad of being raised by these types?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My mom is ESTJ and my dad is ENTP.

It sounds like an odd pair, to be sure, but it really worked somehow. They're the most loving and wonderful parents I could ask for, and, in some sense, they served as my left and right brains, respectively. They're nearly opposites, but that always meant I could enlist either one or the other's help for most anything. Writing an essay? Mom's here. Need help with math? Dad knows all. It helps that I think they're among the two most brilliant people I know. (Biased? Only slightly. They're heavily involved in academia, for one.) Dad knows what it's like to be me; mom knows another perspective with which to supplement and enrich my life and character (how else would I come to be an ENTP with a penchant for proper grammar?).

They've raised me to be confident as hell (sometimes to a fault), but still understanding and tolerant. It also helps that I grew up around mixed cultures (Mom's Midwestern American; Dad's straight from Turkey). All in all, I wonder at how perfect it all is in its own weird way. Surely it's a crime to have had such a happy childhood.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mom is ESTJ and my dad is ENTP.

It sounds like an odd pair, to be sure, but it really worked somehow. They're the most loving and wonderful parents I could ask for, and, in some sense, they served as my left and right brains, respectively. They're nearly opposites, but that always meant I could enlist either one or the other's help for most anything. Writing an essay? Mom's here. Need help with math? Dad knows all. It helps that I think they're among the two most brilliant people I know. (Biased? Only slightly. They're heavily involved in academia, for one.) Dad knows what it's like to be me; mom knows another perspective with which to supplement and enrich my life and character (how else would I come to be an ENTP with a penchant for proper grammar?).

They've raised me to be confident as hell (sometimes to a fault), but still understanding and tolerant. It also helps that I grew up around mixed cultures (Mom's Midwestern American; Dad's straight from Turkey). All in all, I wonder at how perfect it all is in its own weird way. Surely it's a crime to have had such a happy childhood.
Awww I envy you! How awesome it must have been. Your very blessed to have had parents like that. And thanks for your reply on the other post. It was good advice.:happy:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
No problem. Sorry I can't speak from experience on INFP or ISFJ parents -- although, in a way, those two types parallel one another similarly to the way in which my parents' types do.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Sorry, can't help. Still trying to work out the puzzle, but it's looking like my Mum is INTJ and my Dad was ENTP or ENFJ.

But you know my parents brought me up largely by ignoring me. My siblings spent a lot more time with me. I could have done with a few more hugs but I don't think I ended up too weird.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Dad is ISTJ and Mom is INFP, so they're both introverts but otherwise on the opp spectrum.

My dad gives me the practical, realistic, side of everything.
My mom gives me the optimistic, dream-like side of everything.

Wasn't too fond of my mom's crazy emotions, wasn't too fond of my dad's stubborn one-track mind.

Both were very good protectors in their own sense. Both of them definitely enforced discipline when needed, but usually I didn't have many rules, but I was a good kid, so I really didn't need any.

I guess since they're introverted they didn't like establishing ground rules because I would argue with them so much?

I SWEAR, WHAT BUGGED ME IS WHEN THE REASON WAS "BECAUSE I SAID SO." No, that is still never a good reason. If they just would've given me a short but meaningful reason I would've gone along with it!
Ex: "brush your teeth" "why?" "because I said so." "...and" "do it." "why?" "because I said so" "TELL ME WHY!!" They could have just told me they don't want my teeth to fall out or turn nasty mustard yellow. (the last point may not work on boys for gross factor. They might want to attain it.)
I'm prone to retort to authority, even my parents.

I was never taught the "yes or no, sir or ma'am" rule, but it'd probably be a good idea, because I didn't know I was supposed to say it to other adults. (It might save them some trouble in school......hint hint) Apparently, "yeah" or "okay" just won't do. I saw nothing wrong with it, I was just being honest.

They might grow up sarcastic, so expect it, don't get hurt, it's just a way we express ourselves.

those were just a few of the problems I had so I hope it helps a little....

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dad is ISTJ and Mom is INFP, so they're both introverts but otherwise on the opp spectrum.

Wasn't too fond of my mom's crazy emotions, wasn't too fond of my dad's stubborn one-track mind.
lol. my son rolls his eyes at me when i get emotional. if its serious....like i'm upset or sad about something, he looks at me as though he's very confused.

·
Registered
409 Posts
what's it like? care to share any good things about it?
My mom is too focused on organizing for my liking. She can never see the big picture. However, she is still a really nice mom and she allows me the freedom I desire.

An annoying thing she does (I made the mistake of adding her on facebook) is browse through everything I do on facebook and if she thinks it could be offensive or something she makes me delete it. One time I commented "******" on this kids post and she freaked out and said it could be derogatory and it could offend someone.

My dad, on the other hand, I get along with great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts