Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ! I am new to the forum. I am 22.
I recently came across MBTI and did the test and discovered I am INFP :crying: . My dad is INTJ while my mum is ESFP. I am quite sad to be honest after reading the descriptions on wikipedia, I am introverted definitely as I don't have much friends at all (especially very lonely during uni) and feel comfort to be alone (despite I always want companion), I have low self confidence.

I thought my strengths include great analysis and critical thinking, but does it mean they are just my shadow functions which I perform when under stress? :confused:

-It's really weird because I am not particularly good at art or history, I can't draw well and get really bad grades on my art homework.
-I am not good at writing either, except during primary school (discuss pros and cons of something eg. smoking, changing pollution policy) ; I don't like reading...
-I neither have talent at music , I do play oboe (up to grade 5) and started guitars 2 years ago but both very bad :sad:
-I don't seem to have interest learning psychology or becoming editor/journalist.

What should I do ? I seem to be caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. I seem to be an INFP without the strengths of INFP, maybe I am an alien. I am very confused and sad :( .

Thanks for reading my long post, It really means a lot to me as I have difficulties sharing my emotions with others.
Any advice and comment is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
727 Posts
You dot have to be into those things to be an INFP. I'm not very good at writing either even though I wish I were. I'm more of a visual person and enjoy Drawing and painting. I can play the violin. And I enjoy philosophy and psychology. Having said that I also enjoy learning about maths and science which apparently aren't typical of INFPs.
You haven't mentioned any of the things that you do enjoy or are good at but I'm sure there are plenty of INFPs you'll have those in common with.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I remember when I first discovered that I was an INFP...I told someone that we couldn't do shit. (Oops, sorry :/) It's so not true though :D
INFPs can have really good analytical skills and so on too (The only reason I'm good at lit, I'd say!), anyone can, really :D It's just that in natural situations (making decisions, etc.) we prefer going according to our instincts/feelings/guts/insertanythingsimilarhere instead of going around the logical bend because, well how do I say this, sometimes what would be the RIGHT choice might conflict against what we really want, and that makes us uncomfortable/upset/againinsertanythingsimilarhere xD

You're not the only one who aren't experts on art or history or stuff like that (*cough cough* I am too D:)! The MBTIs are really just stereotypes, and stereotypically INFPs would be good at all that but stereotypically females exist to make sandwiches so! In terms of reading? I've an INFP friend who runs away the instant I mention the library :laughing: And I could go on, but here's my point: There are 16 personality types, but why do you think it's so hard to type a single person? xD You got your own strengths, you don't NEED to have stereotypical INFP strengths :p

I'm just saying maybe, but maybe, for all you know, you might have some hidden awesome talent. That's why a little confidence is good: It helps you recognize your talents, and appreciate them! For me I used to go "Yeah right" whenever someone complimented me over something I did, and I'd think they did it out of sympathy. It wasn't until I learnt to grow up a little that I realized I'm at least decent at photography and guitar :D Before that I thought my music skills were just poo. It's hard to gain confidence though, that I know. But mustering up short bursts of courage helps a lot. Whenever I realize I'm slipping into my little I-hate-myself cocoon, I suck in my breath and force myself to do something I normally wouldn't - Walking up to someone to ask for something instead of getting my friend to do it for me because I'm scared I'd be embarrassed, for instance.

I love you (we all do! :D) so you have to love yourself as you are too!~ Hahahas now excuse me while I die of cheesiness. (Oh yeah, writing that sentence took a little courage too D: It's really so cheesy oh my :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts