Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been 5 months but I still have not been able to get to any conclusion about my type. Not even an approximation :crying:. Tests are unreliable, I swear I use every single cognitive function, and introspection has left me extremely drained with nearly 0 results. I'm at my wits end. I'll even settle for knowing just my dominant cognitive function.

I know there are question templates out there that I can answer but the problem with those it that I can pretty much tell which cognitive function they are trying to measure so the answers I give will no doubt be biased.

That's why I want to post characteristics of myself before I answer any questions just to keep things honest. Anyone's help will be much appreciated.
-----
I ask a LOT of why questions. So much that my parents could not get me to follow any sort of directions if there was no reason. Asking why has literally become a reflex for me.

I hate when people tell me to do things in such a way like I'm their pet.

I loathe philosophy. Not because it asks questions but because it asks questions for the sake of asking questions. It questions everything but answers nothing. So I think it's a waste of time. I HATE speculation if there's nothing you can do about it.

I feel uncomfortable sharing my feelings with others.

I phrase all of my social contact with tact. I probe and figure how best to speak to someone. The more I interact with that person, the better I position I know to speak with them from.

I am not a sports nut. I generally know what's going on but I don't go crazy over anything concerning it. Playing sports is another story; I'm a little more serious about that. I don't want to be the one to make the team lose. I want to be the one that gets the interception, the touchdown, scores the goal, gets the block, or wins the race.

I'm not too into material things. Though some are nice to have. I am first and foremost intrinsically motivated though.

I prefer friendships with people who do NOT put an emphasis on material things. I am also not concerned with status.

I am NOT an SJ.

I have an entrepreneurial mindset. I like to explore, exploit, and enact plans that will make me money. Even in unorthodox ways.

I've been told I am a decent writer. I have written multiple songs and poems for friends and significant others who have been left astonished and speechless respectively.

I am not into creating great works of art but excelling at everything I do. As a perfectionist it has taken me a lot to realize I won't be excellent at everything.

I am growth-oriented. I try my hardest to make myself better and not fall into giving excuses for something I could have done better. If doing it better was realistically possible.

Lastly, the best compliment you can give me is "He did that really well."

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
You know there is just a strong Te/Fi dynamic here with little to no Intuition or Sensation aspect. So I think from there we could probably narrow it down to either Fi-dom or Te-dom. If I had to just make an intuitive guess I'd say you might be ISFP. Next guess would be ESTJ (though not a stereotypical ESTJ there are some pretty strong Te-qualities you have going on and what might be some Ne, but not enough to make me think INFP with you).

Its tough to say there isn't a lot there other than your obvious Te preference, I can't really figure out if its Inferior Te and I'm just reading too far into you in thinking you're a Te-dom, or if its dominant Te and I'm only seeing the Fi aspects. One of the things I have to be careful of is what Jung says perception types tending to notice the unconscious or latent character of a person rather than the obvious person right in front of you, so I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is Fi or Te dom, but definitely Fi/Te.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know there is just a strong Te/Fi dynamic here with little to no Intuition or Sensation aspect. So I think from there we could probably narrow it down to either Fi-dom or Te-dom. If I had to just make an intuitive guess I'd say you might be ISFP. Next guess would be ESTJ (though not a stereotypical ESTJ there are some pretty strong Te-qualities you have going on and what might be some Ne, but not enough to make me think INFP with you).

Its tough to say there isn't a lot there other than your obvious Te preference, I can't really figure out if its Inferior Te and I'm just reading too far into you in thinking you're a Te-dom, or if its dominant Te and I'm only seeing the Fi aspects. One of the things I have to be careful of is what Jung says perception types tending to notice the unconscious or latent character of a person rather than the obvious person right in front of you, so I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is Fi or Te dom, but definitely Fi/Te.
I can see why it may look like I'm a Fi-dom. It does look like I know exactly what I like and dislike. But I assure you, I was only able to figure those things out through intense effort and conscious mindfulness of how I felt about things when they happened. I do believe Fi may be in the order of my functions but it being first does not seem to fit.

@Promethea
What's interesting about what you suggested is that I identify with the general description of wanting to be a nice and helpful person but when I get the hint my kindness is being taken advantage of my patience wears thin and my cordiality goes right out the window. Also, the SJ temperament is the one that I least identify with. Plus, sensing is definetaly not a dominant function for me. Especially Si. I really have a hard time remembering the details of things.

@Mendi the ISFJ
It's because I don't identify with the temperament. I unfortunately have little sense of duty, responsibility, or tradition which has been a turn-off for many people I've come in contact with. It's something I have to slowly work on.

@AbioticPrime
Even though I don't identify too well with the SJ temperament, ESTJ may be one i'm willing to look into. Sensing is not a dominant function for me but it could be auxiliary.

More Information:

I have been criticized for not caring about how others feel. I've worked hard to consciously take others feelings into consideration or at the very least, not offending them.

If I would have to list my preference order, it may go like this:
Intuition
Thinking
Feeling or Sensing

My natural functions may not be easy to see because there has been a bit of suppression by may parents as well as me trying to round out every single function there is. I honestly thought that would be a good idea. :mellow:

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
I can see why it may look like I'm a Fi-dom. It does look like I know exactly what I like and dislike. But I assure you, I was only able to figure those things out through intense effort and conscious mindfulness of how I felt about things when they happened. I do believe Fi may be in the order of my functions but it being first does not seem to fit.

@Promethea
What's interesting about what you suggested is that I identify with the general description of wanting to be a nice and helpful person but when I get the hint my kindness is being taken advantage of my patience wears thin and my cordiality goes right out the window. Also, the SJ temperament is the one that I least identify with. Plus, sensing is definetaly not a dominant function for me. Especially Si. I really have a hard time remembering the details of things.

@Mendi the ISFJ
It's because I don't identify with the temperament. I unfortunately have little sense of duty, responsibility, or tradition which has been a turn-off for many people I've come in contact with. It's something I have to slowly work on.

@AbioticPrime
Even though I don't identify too well with the SJ temperament, ESTJ may be one i'm willing to look into. Sensing is not a dominant function for me but it could be auxiliary.

More Information:

I have been criticized for not caring about how others feel. I've worked hard to consciously take others feelings into consideration or at the very least, not offending them.

If I would have to list my preference order, it may go like this:
Intuition
Thinking
Feeling or Sensing

My natural functions may not be easy to see because there has been a bit of suppression by may parents as well as me trying to round out every single function there is. I honestly thought that would be a good idea. :mellow:
Are you implying you are an ENTJ?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@StraightCrushin - Just letting you know that pretty much 90% or more of what you hear about the so called SJ temperament is, well... way off the mark. The truth is, I can easily see you as an ESTJ. And that's not at all a bad thing. I just know that even to most SJs, the SJ temperament is hard to relate to. Because it fails.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
ESI is not a nicey nice pleasant person. Its also not Si. Its Fi Se -- and its very very different from our stereotypical artsy isfp description. Ignore that they call it an ISFj. Its not. Its an esi..

here
ESI - WSWiki

esi is driven by their ethics

Reactions: StraightCrushin

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ESI is not a nicey nice pleasant person. Its also not Si. Its Fi Se -- and its very very different from our stereotypical artsy isfp description. Ignore that they call it an ISFj. Its not. Its an esi..

here
ESI - WSWiki

esi is driven by their ethics
Wow. Okay. That description is pretty spot on in a scary way. I think you hit the nail on the head Promethea. It's one of the last types I would have thought of. Thank you so much. Cheers!

@AbioticPrime
Not at all. But it's funny you say that. Promethea pinned it down as iSFP and to my surprise, they have the same functions as ENTJ except in reverse. You know, I may have come off implying ENTJ cause' of my lower functions trying to assert themselves! Fascinating.

@Julia Bell
Haha, I hear you. It's a shame those SJ temperament descriptions are still like that. I'm sure they've tricked a lot of people including myself.

Reactions: Promethea

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I thought ENxJ after the OP. Or a jaded ISFJ.

Reactions: StraightCrushin

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought ENxJ after the OP. Or a jaded ISFJ.
I'm a little surprised that the suggested personalities are somewhat over the whole spectrum. Either everyone really has their own subjective understanding of cognitive functions or I need to do a better job of posting more defining characteristics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts