Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks... My nickname is a little tough, so you can call me David.

First of all, I want to apologize for the grammar mistakes that I'll certainly make. Like all INTPs I'm a grammar Nazi, but I'm Italian and I'm still learning that wonderful language that is English.

Let's start.
I've been obsessed, I mean REALLY obsessed, with MBTI theory for months. I took a simple test online and I was typed INTJ, but then I wanted to deepen the argument, so I started to read lots of material about MBTI and the Jungian personality types... The MBTI brought me near to a particular psychic process called individuation, or "principium individuationis", during which a person can finally see his "selbst" in its entirety, I've passed many sleepless nights, lying in my bed, thinking about who I am and why I grew up so different.
Anyway, because of my skeptical attitude, I thought that a single test, with only 40 questions, had a significant margin of error, so I did at least 10 tests in English and 5 in Italian (the MBTI theory in Italy is not as famous as in other countries). Every single time I was typed INTJ, except for a single test that typed me as INTP and showed me the scores of the cognitive functions leading me to doubt the accuracy of the tests.
Apparently a lots of "MBTI experts" consider to be organized and decision-making a J trait, forgetting that Ti is a Judgmental functions... However, after a few I read the INTP profiles (and the all the other profiles) and, like other MBTI noobs, I realized I was playing a role and accept the fact that I'm INTP (even if I would have preferred to be an INTJ).

Now that you know the boring story about how I realized I was an INTP, let me explain my problems.
I'm a very, very strong INTP. To give you an idea of my personality think about Dr. Manhattan.
I'm a super rational person, I'm a determinist, a mechanistic, a nihilistic I only trust science and the scientific method (I'm currently studying to become a Medic) and I'm only interested in ideas and facts (I'm like a science encyclopedia), but, wretched me, I'm so INTP that I become a Schizoid. I actually have SPD (schizoid personality disorder). The point is this: when I was a child, I was very sensible, pure and my feelings was warm and ingenuous, then the world and those naughty FJs hurt me and I repressed my Fe so bad that I can't find it anymore.
Now I'm cold-hearted, I can't express (I would say feel) affection or love, I'm anaffective, anhedonic, ataraxic and I'm mostly uninterested in people who I find terribly boring... I'm not even interested to explain my though anymore, so I stay quiet and hieratic all day with everyone. You can imagine that this is causing some problems with my family and with my friends... Just kidding obviously I have no friend, not because I'm not charming (I'm a super fantastic person indeed), but because I just don't give a f***.

Sooo since I saw that on this forum there are many intelligent and interesting people, I wanted to share my thoughts with you and listen to your opinions! I'm not very motivated to change, but at least I can try!
Thanks!

Reactions: Aquamarine

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
My opinion is that you aren't the ultimate INTP.

Penultimate, maybe. But not ultimate.

Reactions: DemonD

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any possibilities to interact normally with someone? Have you similar problems? Have you some good advices to reach my Fe?

Reactions: Aquamarine

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Salvia divinorum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
That is not a solution... It's funny, it's almost safe, but I can't live my whole life under the effects of drugs...

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Interesting... So which is, in your opinion, the last step of the psychological evolution of an INTP?
Not being afflicted with SPD, for starters, and being well-adjusted enough to be comfortable with your Fe.

That is not a solution... It's funny, it's almost safe, but I can't live my whole life under the effects of drugs...
It's not a solution, it's a first step. Doing it once is probably enough.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh well now that's celar... Obviously when I said "Ultimate INTP" I meant the extremes of the bad INTP characteristics, I completely agree with you, I really need to stay in touch with my Fe, I already try light drugs, several times... It helps but I read and article about new neural connections created by that kind of drugs that will virtually make the Cluster A psychopathology (SPD inculded) worse...

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Has a boring and pointless existence got you down? Don't try and think your way out of it...there's no escape aside from the obvious. No, stop thinking about the boredom and pointlessness and simply experience it for what it is. Embrace it. Revel in it. And after awhile you just may get your long lost Fe back as you come to realize the joie de vivre that is Zen Boredom.

·
Registered
98 Posts
To tell the difference you need to look at the functions. INTJs go Ni>Te>Fi>Se while INTPs go Ti>Ne>Si>Fe. Sometimes test confuse us with INTJs because our inward personality is extremely organized(Judgment) but our outward personality is very relaxed (perceiving).

INTPs tend to be more dependent on others for Fe although we can lock those emotions in a jar while INTJs tend to be more emotionally independent(Fi). Which is why INTPs tend to marry more often then INTJs. Another tell is the use of Ni, although we can use Ni it is very low priority. INTJs and INFJs use Ni way more, usually reaching answers faster instinctively knowing the answer as supposed to INTPs who use Ne and Ti to slowly reach conclusions. It's very important to us to get the right answer so we take longer.

As to the second part of your post, it seems like some people in this forum seem to think INTPs lack emotion. Which is ridiculous, we have feelings but we rather lock them in a box. If your really an INTP you need to open that box and cry. My first time was around 16, it felt amazing. Its not healthy to hide your emotions. If you truly don't care abt emotions it might explain why you test as INTJ.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As to the second part of your post, it seems like some people in this forum seem to think INTPs lack emotion. Which is ridiculous, we have feelings but we rather lock them in a box. If your really an INTP you need to open that box and cry. My first time was around 16, it felt amazing.
Do we got instructions on how to pop that cork cause mines cemented shut?

Besides this

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Do they have good therapists where you live? You'd probably benefit greatly from talking to one.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Oh well now that's celar... Obviously when I said "Ultimate INTP" I meant the extremes of the bad INTP characteristics, I completely agree with you, I really need to stay in touch with my Fe, I already try light drugs, several times... It helps but I read and article about new neural connections created by that kind of drugs that will virtually make the Cluster A psychopathology (SPD inculded) worse...
Well I'm glad you clarified "Ultimate" because having all the worst characteristics someone has theorized are affiliated with INTPs does not make you the ultimate INTP. Some of the studies I've read on INTPs and Introversion are so subjective that you can see why mainstream psychology is hesitant to embrace them.

It's like those introverted studies that say that being an introvert leads to unhappiness and extroverts are typically more happy. Well of course they are, ignorance is bliss. I'm not going to give up my ability to think critically and be self-aware just so I can be more cheery.

There all kinds of disorders you can associate with all the personality types when put to extremes. But those disorders are not and I repeat NOT solely attributed to personality type. You will find that a lot of these disorders can hit people regardless of their personality. ADD runs in my family, it's a genetic disorder. Yet we all have different personality types including an ESTJ and ESFJ. Despite that, within personality typing you will often see it related to XNXPs.

From what I've heard from others on this forum it is a little bit dangerous to hyper-focus and make connections in intense ways if you suffer from certain disorders because you can start to get lost in patterns and make connections that are not necessarily there. Regardless if those connections are real or not, to hyper-focus inward like that may not be the healthiest thing to do if you want to actually solve any of the problems you are experiencing. Stepping back and working on your issues with the help of a therapist and possibly medication might be a better solution. Knowing you are an INTP is not going to help you solve these problems because I don't think that's what it was ever designed for. That's just my personal opinion.

·
Spam-I-am
13,709 Posts
how do you figure your the ultimate ? wouldn't Einstein be the ultimate? plus since the fact that you came up INTP once you decided to chose that type

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Anyway, because of my skeptical attitude, I thought that a single test, with only 40 questions, had a significant margin of error, so I did at least 10 tests in English and 5 in Italian (the MBTI theory in Italy is not as famous as in other countries). Every single time I was typed INTJ, except for a single test that typed me as INTP and showed me the scores of the cognitive functions leading me to doubt the accuracy of the tests.

Apparently a lots of "MBTI experts" consider to be organized and decision-making a J trait, forgetting that Ti is a Judgmental functions... However, after a few I read the INTP profiles (and the all the other profiles) and, like other MBTI noobs, I realized I was playing a role and accept the fact that I'm INTP (even if I would have preferred to be an INTJ).

I'm a very, very strong INTP. To give you an idea of my personality think about Dr. Manhattan.

I'm a super rational person, I'm a determinist, a mechanistic, a nihilistic I only trust science and the scientific method (I'm currently studying to become a Medic) and I'm only interested in ideas and facts (I'm like a science encyclopedia), but, wretched me, I'm so INTP that I become a Schizoid. I actually have SPD (schizoid personality disorder). The point is this: when I was a child, I was very sensible, pure and my feelings was warm and ingenuous, then the world and those naughty FJs hurt me and I repressed my Fe so bad that I can't find it anymore.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. Why are you so certain that you are INTP, and not INTJ?

Nothing that you said convinced me that you are INTP. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but Dr. Manhattan does not conjur INTP---he's a bloody scientist!

Again, not having feelings? This is not a hallmark INTP trait. Neither are the myriad of other personality disorders, which we have somehow come to inherit, as deranged INTPs.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
If you want to bring out your F, you need to take the time to recognize that the reason why you make decisions or think at all is because your F is responding to the environment. If your response is that everything you do is logical or based on intuition, then you don't realize that you choose a logical direction because of F, and that you choose to derive intuitive information because of F; none of the functions are mutually exclusive, they're just an emphasis, the mechanics are squishier.

Think about holding a hammer over your hand and why it is considered more logical for you to not hammer your hand. Eventually choice doesn't have to be subjective but it always starts that way and this is important. It starts that way when you love someone as well... although it's less selfish... I'm just giving an example.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts