Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Independent:

The stereotype of a tortured genius may have a basis in reality after a new study found that people with higher IQs are more at risk of developing mental illness.

A team of US researchers surveyed 3,715 members of American Mensa with an IQ higher than 130. An “average IQ score” or “normal IQ score” can be defined as a score between 85 and 115.

The team asked the Mensa members to report whether they had been diagnoses with mental illnesses, including autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

They were also asked to report mood and anxiety disorders, or whether the suspected they suffered from any mental illnesses that had yet to be diagnosed, as well as physiological diseases, like food allergies and asthma.

After comparing this with the statistical national average for each illness they found that those in the Mensa community had considerably higher rates of varying disorders.

While 10 per cent of the general population were diagnosed with anxiety disorder, that rose to 20 per cent among the Mensa community, according to the study which published in the Science Direct journal.
There's more in the article itself, but...This was something I had long suspected would be the case. I remember a quote from Dostoevsky's "Notes From Underground", "I am convinced that to be acutely conscious is a disease. A real, honest-to-goodness disease." so it seems I'm not the only one who picked up on it. What do you all think of this news?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Bullshit. It's well known that people with ADHD, depression, and most mental illnesses score lower on intelligence tests on average. My guess is that the mensans studied here are of higher socioeconomic status, and therefore more capable of receiving formal psychological evaluation...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Bullshit. It's well known that people with ADHD, depression, and most mental illnesses score lower on intelligence tests on average. My guess is that the mensans studied here are of higher socioeconomic status, and therefore more capable of receiving formal psychological evaluation...
In my personal experience, it's been the exact opposite.

·
Banned
659 Posts
I could see this being true on some level. Intelligence can often illuminate the full, true horror of the human condition.

Many physical activites and sports advise one not to overthink - particularly extreme sports make a good example. Thinking too much brings realisation of risk and with it comes hesitance.

I could believe if a person was instinctually smart enough, they could see risk almost everywhere and be prone to both anxiety and inertia. After all, it has been said that often bravery is founded on ignorance.

'If you can keep your head while alla round you are losing theirs - then you probably don't fully appreciate the gravity of the situation.'

·
Registered
4,199 Posts

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
mensa members may not be representative of high iq people...most high iq people, for example, see no reason to join a club based on their iqs...it may be that hi iq people who happen to be ill are more likely to join mensa, perhaps to compensate for their illness

anyway, the study didn't control for this factor so it's an open question

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

Scientists Tie Low IQ to Disorders | News | The Harvard Crimson

Sorry to rain on everyone's narcissism parade lol, but a mentally ill brain is a malfunctioning brain, and that's going to have cognitive implications. And to be clear, an existential crisis is not equivalent to clinical anhedonic depression.

I suspect that the lower IQ brackets may also be overrepresented for mental illness, but that the medium range IQs are the most likely to have sound mental health. It may also be caused by the difference in methodology. (survey vs. longitudinal study)

Also...narcissism parade?

5,146 Posts

Sorry to rain on everyone's narcissism parade lol, but a mentally ill brain is a malfunctioning brain, and that's going to have cognitive implications. And to be clear, an existential crisis is not equivalent to clinical anhedonic depression.
Most probably tied to trauma from abuse which damages memory and attention which severely lowers IQ scores, malnutrition and stuff like that. Not necessarily relevant to the topic of Mensa members.

Native IQ isn't the same as IQ measured at point of severe episode of mental illness. It's possible that at the point of admittance, Mensa members weren't in the middle of a severe episode or weren't on any zombie drugs.

My IQ varies between very high and upper average depending on mental state. Both on psychologist's office tests and more believable internet tests. It's also reflected in learning, because I often have downtime when I'm unable to study regularly.

From what I've seen the critical aspect in my case is ability to fluidly access Ne and Te. If I'm stuck in Si, then I'd be too slow and have difficulty absorbing it and check results again and again and again, etc.

Also, it depends how IQ is measured. If the IQ test isn't culturally neutral, not having specific school knowledge can drastically lower the score.

And to be clear, an existential crisis is not equivalent to clinical anhedonic depression.
I suspect that modern culture has erased the concept of long-lasting unhappiness caused by the world being shit, because people aren't allowed to be unhappy any more. If you're unhappy, you're mentally ill! If you're sick of shitty school environment where you have to sit all day performing unpaid labour and aren't fed adequately, you're mentally ill!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

Not always, it's true that with IQ test people with learning disabilities are likely to have discrepancies with neuropsychological evaluations which indicate the presence of a learning disability. Diagnosed NPD, ADHD and PTSD; my neuropsychological evaluation revealed a 131 average. Known two geniuses that showed me their results, their common sense was null and void. Also they would go off on tangents which would most likely indicate ADHD type symptoms.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
mensa members may not be representative of high iq people...most high iq people, for example, see no reason to join a club based on their iqs...it may be that hi iq people who happen to be ill are more likely to join mensa, perhaps to compensate for their illness

:laughing:

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Definitely not a source of a bragging point.

But I don't score high or well on most conventional IQ tests.
Point I technically am classed as ADD/ADHD & PTSD

While I don't personally consider myself one. I have known. Quite a few VERY obvious simpleton idiots who exhibited extreme behavior like BPD. Not saying all people with BPD are idiots. Saying a lot of the people I have known with BPD happened to be plainly painfully the case. Their lack of decision making, and problem solving skills whether be it: concrete or abstract was just absent.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Definitely not a source of a bragging point.

But I don't score high or well on most conventional IQ tests.
Point I technically am classed as ADD/ADHD & PTSD

While I don't personally consider myself one. I have known. Quite a few VERY obvious simpleton idiots who exhibited extreme behavior like BPD. Not saying all people with BPD are idiots. Saying a lot of the people I have known with BPD happened to be plainly painfully the case. Their lack of decision making, and problem solving skills whether be it: concrete or abstract was just absent.
they have black and white thinking, which causes them to split. Jodi arias who shot and stabbed her bf to death is one. So is my mom who's ENTJ most likely. Constantly tell her the color of truth is grey. Gonna assume it's more prevelant in Ni personalities, because the condition is associated with psychosis. Plus people with rapist tendencies, ironically are more likely to be sexually assualted.Hence why ENTJs would be the most likely candidate to be a rapist, people who commit that crime often lack empathy for their victim.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
I like the bagels!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Can you provide evidence for that assertion?
Well, if we're talking psychometrics, then actually, yes. At least from the WISC V. For ADHD, there are multiple articles articles stating that their IQ is generally around 95 (I've definitely read other journal articles with similar information, but I can't remember any off the top of my head. I can go retrieve them, if you'd like, though). ASD without communication problems were pretty average at 98.3 (with SLI they were about 76). Reliability of the WISC V FSIQ is about 96% (only one that I know that's higher is the WJ IV cognitive that just beats it by a point). Same with ADHD, there are various journal articles disproving high IQ for a majority of ASD, communication or not.

BUT the point being that people with high IQ were more likely to be diagnosed with those things, and that's interesting. Eccentricity is typically associated with high IQ (maybe not a normative strength, but close to it). Other journal articles find that people with high IQ generally has better social skills as well. But I'll look more into your point, because it's interesting to me. I haven't read anything about mental illness (many standardized IQ companies actually disclude people on antipsychotics and some antidepressants in their norming sample because antipsychotics specifically have been shown to decrease testing results). But it's an interesting area.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Most probably tied to trauma from abuse which damages memory and attention which severely lowers IQ scores, malnutrition and stuff like that. Not necessarily relevant to the topic of Mensa members.
Native IQ isn't the same as IQ measured at point of severe episode of mental illness. It's possible that at the point of admittance, Mensa members weren't in the middle of a severe episode or weren't on any zombie drugs.
My IQ varies between very high and upper average depending on mental state. Both on psychologist's office tests and more believable internet tests. It's also reflected in learning, because I often have downtime when I'm unable to study regularly.
Yeah, definitely true about the trauma, abuse, etc. A great point bringing up your experience, as well. And it brings up the importance of clinical judgement and not using tests on people who don't fit the test's sampling norm. Those tests are steril things; they're meant to be, and at the heart of it involves being able to pay attention through the directions. One subtest, the "story recall", can be a fucker because, I swear, if you miss the deadline by one point and don't move onto the next section of stories (there are two of them per section, allowing a person to remember plenntttyy of other things and get plenty of other points), it can bring your total IQ score down by quite a bit. Good luck with anything timed while feeling low. "Clinical judgement" again and how they're supposed to pick up on that and be all like "hey! Let's not do this today?" but lol at clinical judgement and always having it there.

I think empirically yes, those with the stated conditions have lower IQ scores. But broadly speaking, I'm not sure if that necessarily means that they're less 'intelligent', it feels more like they have something 'masking' their performance. Yeah, interesting area.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

That's actually a good point. My IQ is, I think, decently high, but if it's high enough for Mensa, I still wouldn't join because I imagine anyone wanting to join a high IQ society would be totally insufferable.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts