Personality Cafe banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
To construe my comment as "all mentally ill people are stupid" is very stupid... Nowhere was that stated or implied.

And stupidity of a certain magnitude is a mental illness... not that that has any relevance to my assertion, though it does, rather ironically, reveal how little you know about the standard diagnostic literature.
You said mentally ill people on average score lower on IQ tests which has actually been shown in various studies to be the opposite. I not sure why so many people on here will say one thing and than back peddle the minute you all are called out on your crap. Like its write there, we all know you said it!

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
OP said:
or whether the suspected they suffered from any mental illnesses that had yet to be diagnosed, as well as physiological diseases, like food allergies and asthma.
No one noticed this important excerpt from the article? Perhaps the question should be, do members of Mensa suffer more from hypochondria than the rest of the population?

·
Registered
INFP
590 Posts
I'm not sure of the research on this subject, but I do know my personal experience. When I was much younger and having difficulty with classes and behavior issues, I was given a psychological evaluation and IQ test (Wechsler) to try and figure out what the "problem" was. I was diagnosed with ADHD (usually classified as a learning disability, not a mental illness) and depression, but was also designated as 'gifted' and put in advanced classes. The advanced classes were much more interesting, smaller in size, and taught by more engaged instructors, than the normal classes. These factors made it much easier for me to get out of secondary school with a decent GPA.

Maybe I'm an edge case, but I have also known many other highly intelligent, yet mentally ill people. And, yes, I've known mentally ill people with low intelligence. I do know that I tend to over-analyze situations and relationships that can lead to, shall we say, dysfunctional thoughts and attitudes. I suspect others are likely to do the same.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm schizophrenic and all schizophrenics are geniuses! In fact I'm the most genius person in the whole gd world!

jk

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm schizophrenic and all schizophrenics are geniuses! In fact I'm the most genius person in the whole gd world!

jk
I just had to add "jk". I figured someone might be stupid enough to assume I'm serious or delusional.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Hypothesis: People who join Mensa are more likely to do one or more of the following:

(a) to want to be a member of a special group
(b) to enjoy evaluating and discussing their own mental states and qualities
(c) to feel inspired by the "mad genius" trope and adopt it for themselves as an identity

·
私を愛して
ESTJ; LSE; 3w4; Sp/Sx
14,683 Posts
High IQ people more likely to be diagnosed mentally ill, autistic, attention deficit
Just a typical situation of mistaking correlation as causation.

Also, a lot of people with Autism have cognitive development issues.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts