Personality Cafe banner

Highest level of education you've completed? (ENTJ's ONLY)

• Pre-high school grad (or equivalent)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • High school (or equivalent)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Associate's degree (or equivalent)

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Bachelor's degree (or equivalent)

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Master's degree (or equivalent)

• PhD/DPhil/doctorate (or equivalent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ENTJ's! What is the highest level of education that you have completed as of right now? Advanced professional degrees (MD, JD, DO, etc.) are considered doctorate-level for the purposes of this poll.

If you're wondering what I intend to do with the results, check out my blog post here: MBTI Correlation Project - Blogs - PersonalityCafe

Tag me or quote me if you want to get my attention on this thread. If there's an option you would like to select, but isn't available, let me know and I'll enter your information manually if possible.

Thanks in advance for responding!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah... I think most ENTJ's at 24 have finished a BSc or BA of some kind.
I have to disagree. Depends on how the ENTJ was raised and what values were instilled in them at a young age. I know quite a few ENTJs that dropped out before they ever got the paper midway into their Bachelors, Masters, or PhD...because it was 'bullshit' and a 'waste of time'.

Those were my reasons as well. I'm doing just fine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I too am a young ENTJ whose only qualification I have as of today in my High School Leaving Certificate qualification. However, I am in the process of completing a Bachelor's degree.

If the OP's objective is to understand the qualifications of ENTJ's perhaps, given the wide spread of ages and stations in life, it would be wise to add a small qualification to the opening post indicating current and future education.

Perhaps it should express words to the effect that if you are in the process of studying or have a bona fide intent to undertake further study in the not too distant future (as oppose to some vacuous OMG going to college would be AWESOME I might go one day because it will be fun) you should list it below.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have to disagree. Depends on how the ENTJ was raised and what values were instilled in them at a young age. I know quite a few ENTJs that dropped out before they ever got the paper midway into their Bachelors, Masters, or PhD...because it was 'bullshit' and a 'waste of time'.

Those were my reasons as well. I'm doing just fine.
The consensus of all the statistics I've found point toward ENTJ's gravitating towards degrees, no matter how useless ENTJ's deem them to be. Te often inspires ENTJ's to compete and complete, and excel, societal standards. That's simply a consensus... Of course there are ENTJs who don't, such as you and your friends. It doesn't mean that most ENTJ's don't, nonetheless, complete those degrees.

I wonder where you live, btw? From a San Diegan perspective, just about everyone gets degrees here, despite that just about everyone knows- degrees on their own- are essentially useless, and it's what experience you've gained and how you present that with or without your degree that matters.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
degrees = life's achievement points, but not always with the money. I see it as a venue to stability and so that I can continue on my path.

Reactions: n.yumikim

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
The consensus of all the statistics I've found point toward ENTJ's gravitating towards degrees, no matter how useless ENTJ's deem them to be. Te often inspires ENTJ's to compete and complete, and excel, societal standards. That's simply a consensus... Of course there are ENTJs who don't, such as you and your friends. It doesn't mean that most ENTJ's don't, nonetheless, complete those degrees.

I wonder where you live, btw? From a San Diegan perspective, just about everyone gets degrees here, despite that just about everyone knows- degrees on their own- are essentially useless, and it's what experience you've gained and how you present that with or without your degree that matters.
I personally think a degree only matters if you intend to get your Masters in the long run (if it's a field that requires it). Unless, of course, it's Business, Science, or Maths... which is just fine to have a B.A. in unless you want to concentrate on a more particular field/need it for a promotion you desire.

Te doesn't inspire an ENTJ to compete OR complete and excel at anything. It's about collecting data, new and old, and finding useful ways to implement it in that individual's life. Whatever concentration it may be. So I have no idea how you got that it's about societal standards? 'Cause I could personally care less about the societal standards of what "success" is or what they are overrall. I care about what MY own ideal of success is and that could be becoming a janitor to becoming a rockstar to even running a 10k marathon. Who knows.

We've had a thread on the idea of success to the ENTJs around these parts somewhere..

·
Registered
446 Posts
I personally think a degree only matters if you intend to get your Masters in the long run (if it's a field that requires it). Unless, of course, it's Business, Science, or Maths... which is just fine to have a B.A. in unless you want to concentrate on a more particular field/need it for a promotion you desire.

Te doesn't inspire an ENTJ to compete OR complete and excel at anything. It's about collecting data, new and old, and finding useful ways to implement it in that individual's life. Whatever concentration it may be. So I have no idea how you got that it's about societal standards? 'Cause I could personally care less about the societal standards of what "success" is or what they are overrall. I care about what MY own ideal of success is and that could be becoming a janitor to becoming a rockstar to even running a 10k marathon. Who knows.

We've had a thread on the idea of success to the ENTJs around these parts somewhere..

Te = Group think, just as Fe is orientation toward group feel. That's where I got the societal standards model--not to say we follow society per se, but we do follow SOME aspects of society we've decided to respect. There's simply more orientation for Te-users toward intrapreneurship (whose scope includes the innovator and problem solver--while working within a large organization. So in general concept, an entrepreneur who isn't entirely renegade) than other forms of entrepreneurship.

So example is a poster in this thread whose pursuing a degree simply because, quote, "I see it as a venue to stability and so that I can continue on my path." There's some adherence to society, simply because logically, we tend toward that so that we feel free to bounce our Ni (free association) without costing actual Te (what logically makes sense for our lives) damage. That way, we get the entrepreneurship without the broke, homeless enough we have to beg, everyone hates us-ship.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Exactly, n.yumikim. I'm playing the game long enough to get secure, then, whammo, I'm getting my crown on and stirring stuff up. I have plans upon plans to execute once I'm where I want to be and am making contacts to get them executed. I can't wait (rubs hands)!

Reactions: n.yumikim

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Te = Group think, just as Fe is orientation toward group feel. That's where I got the societal standards model--not to say we follow society per se, but we do follow SOME aspects of society we've decided to respect. There's simply more orientation for Te-users toward intrapreneurship (whose scope includes the innovator and problem solver--while working within a large organization. So in general concept, an entrepreneur who isn't entirely renegade) than other forms of entrepreneurship.

So example is a poster in this thread whose pursuing a degree simply because, quote, "I see it as a venue to stability and so that I can continue on my path." There's some adherence to society, simply because logically, we tend toward that so that we feel free to bounce our Ni (free association) without costing actual Te (what logically makes sense for our lives) damage. That way, we get the entrepreneurship without the broke, homeless enough we have to beg, everyone hates us-ship.
Check out this:

Te has nothing to do with group thinking. No idea where you got that. It can occur in a group and be applied in one but it doesn't need a group around to produce thoughts. Therefore, I do think reading about the functions more in-depth will help you.

Here's a good hearty excerpt:

"Extroverted logic as base function is manifested as a need to accumulate factual information, also from external sources such as books, second-hand information, etc, on matters of personal interest or of professional activity. This also gives these types confidence on being well-informed on the same matters, which enables them to enter arguments related to them with confidence on their knowledge, which may come across as arrogance to others. Another manifestation is an evaluation of external reality - work activities, world events, finances, procedures, personal relationships, conversations - from the point of view of factual accuracy and "making sense" and efficiency. It leads to an inclination to be proactive in increasing the efficiency and reasonableness of the external world, as well as a sense of self-worth connected on being involved and productive in activities seen as useful, profitable, or that increase one's knowledge base. To give out information that the individual knows not to be factually accurate is disturbing and avoided as much as possible."

I think you should check this out too, It's the thread I mentioned above.:

http://personalitycafe.com/entj-for...aterialism-measuring-success.html#post2842079

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey again, everyone. I wanted to say thank you to those who've voted on this and contributed to the discussion so far. However, many people throughout the site have noted that this poll doesn't take into account age or the current pursuit of a new diploma, degree, or certificate, and doesn't allow for non-traditional achievement such as vocational school. These issues had crossed my mind before, but I made some big assumptions and ended up ignoring the potential flaws. I've realized now that that was a big mistake that will render any data gathered from here useless. This poll will remain open for anyone who wishes to vote or discuss the issue; however, I will not be using this data for the project detailed in the OP and I will open a new poll on this subject at some point in the near future.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I'd add the pursuit of multiple degrees/diplomates as well. Will get mediciney types.

·
Registered
378 Posts

I live in San Francisco. Most of the successful engineers and designers (some now CEOs of large companies) I know dropped out of university because experience was more valuable to them than wasting monies and time on a degree.

I agree they can help, but overall not important.

I agree they can help, but overall not important. I have found that I am better off if I go at my own pace, which has proven to be faster than the classroom.

I plan on going back to school, potentially for HCI or something computer science related down the road, but not because I think I have to check off a box in life. But, to each their own.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a Bsc (hons) degree. I didn't do a Masters degree because I was really sick of being engulfed by the subject by the time I finished that and needed to break free. Right now I'm in the process of signing up for a diploma in another subject. I will be studying for a lower level qualification than before but I think that what it's leading to will ultimately make me happier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.