Personality Cafe banner

Do you create a negative connotation regarding people who act like hippies?

• Yes

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • non-ISTJ: Yes

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • non-ISTJ: No

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you create a negative connotation regarding people who act like hippies? I couldn't find a less negative way of describing people who of that culture or mindset or ideology, however you want to describe it.

Though I'm damned near a communist in ideology I look at some people as air heads and out there in terms of thought. Ha. I even consider them to be too opened minded, as their morals seems to change by the day, whatever the latest cause maybe. I believe they are of a subjective point of view in the things they support and are easily swayed by peer pressure, and the latest fad. Then again maybe I am just of conservative ilk, and am doomed to subjectivity of my own, who knows?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hippies are cool. The lifestyle scares me a bit but the ideas are intriguing. I believe in the Existential Now, see the point in the whole Peace-Love-Nature thing, and one can never be too open-minded.

I suspect I may be a closeted hippie outwardly posing as an ISTJ. :unsure:

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
and one can never be too open-minded.
I was pointing to their will to buy into such air headed beliefs. I remember when they walked on Washington DC back in the 70's and thought will, love, and LSD would make the place crumble around them :laughing: Don't forget all the crazy conspiracy theories they come up with, they take quite a liking to it because its against the institution.

·
Registered
324 Posts
May i ask how we are defining hippies? Are we talking about the stereotypical free love, drug using, give peace a chance, decked out in 70s attire?

I am not to much for the majority of their ideals, but hey to each his own.

btw...did anyone important that is trully a "hippie" make a real mark in history??

Reactions: Wake, Rhee and niss

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
For every real hippie, there were 10,000 wannabe impersonators. Abbie Hoffman seemed to be the real deal. Personally, I find their ideology to be impacting, but non-sustainable. That, and personal hygiene is too important a part of life for me to ever consider a hippie lifestyle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
While Hippies do tend to be a fashion fad so to speak(much like Goth), I do think some of their values have a purpose and a benefit for modern society. Peace over war is a idea that I think every country worldwide could use to adopt.

Reactions: Rhee and niss

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I consider myself to be a 'hippie' and I have pretty good hygiene habits :p
Most that consider themselves hippies identify with a particular aspect of the hippie culture and not the whole culture. Google images of hippies for views of various aspects of hippie life. Woodstock was not a high water mark.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do dreadlocks get washed every day or 2? I know in the making of them they go unwashed for like 40 days, but what about the long term hygiene of them?

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
^^Not sure...I've never considered having any. However, if I ever change my mind, I'll be sure to research that aspect first.:crazy:

Reactions: Rhee

·
Banned
15 Posts
No, they are humans just like the rest of us who have the right to dress and live the lifestyle that works best for them. As long as they don't impose on me in any way, then I don't have a problem with them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Most hippies tend to annoy me. I've studied what they (in general) stand for, and I don't like it. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about ALL hippies, as there are more than likely some exceptions. However, I have found them to be cowards in the face of war, dishonorable to their country: unthankful for what they had, disrespectful of authority, and substance abusers... which usually led to poor decisions.

It especially bothers me how they treated homecoming troops from Vietnam, instead of embracing them, they spat on them. This is incredibly hypocritical. :dry:

·
Registered
9,421 Posts
It especially bothers me how they treated homecoming troops from Vietnam, instead of embracing them, they spat on them. This is incredibly hypocritical. :dry:
The bottom line is that our troops, wherever they are at, are fighting for our freedoms ... IOW, our right to disagree with the President or the other people in charge. They are fighting for our rights to disagree with others. They are fighting for our rights to go to the polls to vote OUT politicians that we don't agree with, and to be vocal about our choices. While I might not always agree with the laws that our government makes, I respect our troops for the reasons listed above.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
^^And the women say the same thing about guys...so break out that razor, Qadosh.:tongue:

Reactions: Rhee
1 - 20 of 23 Posts