Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I think my type is INFP. The only thing that's bothering me is the N/S, and here's why...

I'm never satisfied that something just does work; I have a compulsion to find out why it works. I never learn by watching; I learn only by doing. I was recently asked at work to cut out a template for some irregularly shaped glass. Rather than just drawing around the frame, I insisted on spending twice as long using the law of sines and trigonometry... That's kinda Ne, right?

On the other hand, I also spend a good deal of my work day noticing the two different shades of blue on the roof girders and concluding that there once must have been a parting wall. Or that the crack in the block-work moves up one block for every one and a half blocks along. I've also taken note of the two different manufacturers of gas pipes around the ceiling... Se? (Maybe I just need to find a more interesting job...)

A couple more details that might sway either way: I am completely obsessed with the theory of music more so than any other aspect of it. I don't just remember what sounds good; I strive to understand why things sound good... I'm very capable with my hands. Woodwork and other general DIY comes naturally. Most of it is planned in advance.

So yeah, if you require more info, just ask. I would really appreciate any discussion on this! I plan to stick around here and hopefully help others when the time comes, so being sure of my type would be a good start!

Cheers.

·
Registered
276 Posts
So, I think my type is INFP. The only thing that's bothering me is the N/S, and here's why..
Ti
I'm never satisfied that something just does work; I have a compulsion to find out why it works. I never learn by watching; I learn only by doing. I was recently asked at work to cut out a template for some irregularly shaped glass. Rather than just drawing around the frame, I insisted on spending twice as long using the law of sines and trigonometry... That's kinda Ne, right?
This is Ti and Se.
LeadingIntroverted ThinkingAnalyzing, categorizing, and evaluating according to principles

Ne would be looking at the glass and thinking about how Giraffes corneas look like the inward reflection of glass being perpetuated through the mirror image of a Spherical lens which complies to the notion of time being a reflection to itself and moving in relation to the perception of being as opposed to the perception of identity. Finding that the perception of identity feels like the way you falling from a tree and the feeling of falling is connected to the feeling of identifying giraffes by connecting to a memory along time where tables flip and rotate anti clockwise to the backwards rotation of constellations because the Earth's axis spins in the same rotation as the energy spiraling along the internal clockwork of energy inside the body to the revelation of the transfer of energy from one point to another, and when energy transfers the time forces choice upon trees which is why birds can sing when it rains, and no wonder the Glass is like a bird singing therefore to solve the problem of the glass I must go solve the problem of singing birds. Ne is Chaotic, disorganized and starts but not strong in finishing or following through
Extraverted iNtuitingInterpreting situations and relationships and pickup meanings and interconnections to other contexts

On the other hand, I also spend a good deal of my work day noticing the two different shades of blue on the roof girders and concluding that there once must have been a parting wall. Or that the crack in the block-work moves up one block for every one and a half blocks along. I've also taken note of the two different manufacturers of gas pipes around the ceiling... Se? (Maybe I just need to find a more interesting job...)
Se and Ni
Extraverted SensingExperiencing and acting in the immediate context.

Introverted iNtuitingForeseeing implications, transformations, and likely effects

A couple more details that might sway either way: I am completely obsessed with the theory of music more so than any other aspect of it. I don't just remember what sounds good; I strive to understand why things sound good... I'm very capable with my hands. Woodwork and other general DIY comes naturally. Most of it is planned in advance.
SE

So yeah, if you require more info, just ask. I would really appreciate any discussion on this! I plan to stick around here and hopefully help others when the time comes, so being sure of my type would be a good start!
Fe
Fe possibly Fi..

Could also be Ni, ti or te if it's more so because of principles and sub principles or Intuition if it based on transformations and insight in to deeper effects. it's hard to say.. Are you saying cheers because your internal values force you to do it or is it to connect with everyone as a group and take how we feel in to account or something else entirely

Can't really say what you are because you need to test each individual function, go to keys2cognition.com and do the cognitive function test. although things appear some ways, they are often be something else so I would say to do a bit more research in to each individual function and how each one would change you, if you wouldn't really change then that's probably you, but do the test and feel free to post the graph here for me to have a look at.

ISTP is another possibility, (apprx 4.6% of population)
'The theme for the ISTP is action-driven problem solving.Talents lie in operating all kinds of tools and instruments and using frameworks for solving problems.
Keen observers of the environment, they are a storehouse of data and facts relevant to analyzing and solving problems.
Thrive on challenging situations and having the freedom to craft clever solutions and do whatever it takes to fix things and make them work.
Take pride in their skill and virtuosity, which they seem to effortlessly acquire.'

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
lt sounds like a very concrete explanation of Se(the first paragraph).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. Neidijijian, I really appreciate your in depth analysis!

That's very strange that I'm showing Se so strongly, as all the tests I've done so far, including Keys to Cognition, are pointing away from Se. I am almost certain that I answered all the questions with an open mind, yet Se came out second from last, only in front of Fe:

K2C.jpg

Your description of Ne sounds a lot like my friend. He's very much into abstract expressionist art and would readily point out the resemblance between the orientation of the wood chips in chip board and the changing directions of society. I don't relate to that; I think he's crazy.

Another problem I have with INFP is the ridiculously low Ti. In fact, I find that a problem with MBTI in general. Why can't opposites co-exist? I'm pretty sure I make use of Ti and Fi to a great extent every day. I can resonate with the descriptions of both INFP and ISTP, yet both are wildly different.

As for "cheers" (which I laughed at your desire to analyse), I'm always polite and have been described as "very well spoken". I guess I genuinely appreciate others' interest and actually enjoy expressing my appreciation. Other than politeness though, my expression of feeling really is very limited.

Functions.jpg

According to this table, I have a basic use of Se. I do indeed "notice sensory data in the environment", but I'm not sure if I "trust [my] instincts and take action relevant to the moment and current context". I guess I do in music, as I write the structure as I'm going along and nothing is final until the very last minute. I make things up as I go along in practical work too. I guess that is Se then...

Passive Ti seems to fit me quite well but not so much Active. Fi fits perfectly.

I'm swaying towards ISFP.

This is kinda confusing...

Anyway, I'll keep looking into this and see how it develops. Once again, thanks for the help. Oh, and...

Cheers!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Argh, I can't upload the images due to post count. This, anyway...

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************** (22.1)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************ (24.3)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************* (33.2)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************* (31.7)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************* (25.5)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************* (33.9)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************* (19.5)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************************* (49.4)
excellent use

·
Registered
276 Posts
Argh, I can't upload the images due to post count. This, anyway...

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************** (22.1)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************ (24.3)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************* (33.2)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************* (31.7)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************* (25.5)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************* (33.9)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************* (19.5)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************************* (49.4)
excellent use

Thank for posting the results of the test, great help. So just going over the basics now, what we understand about MBTI is that we use all 8 functions, everyone feels, senses, thinks, and grasps intuitive thoughts, our question is what is the Natural process for you? Ofcourse, and, what is the more developed ones? You understand, so looking the graph here we have obviously a high amount of FI... Small preference of Ti, Ni and Ne. These can act as back up to the Dominant function. For instance let's say your Dominant Cognitive Function is Introverted feeling which is essentially
Introverted FeelingValuing and considering importance, beliefs, and worth
Then Introversive thinking might back that up. So you would use principles and sub principles of feeling i.e Hate is caused by ignorance, ignorance by assumptions, assumption by doubt. You would sort of create like a mind map of the Feelings. Where as if you use Ne to back up the Fi then it would be something more like, connecting these values, beliefs and worths to other unconnected things. I.e if you see a bird trying to pick up a chest nut, you might relate that to how we try to pick up ourselves, and bear the weight to improve, ect, yes. So in basic terms we want to know firstly,
What is the dominant Function?
Secondly,
What is the secondary Primary function?
Due to Jung's theory if the Primary function is introversive then the secondary function will be extraversive. So highest one is Fi, which is Introversive, therefore we look for the highest extraversive which is... Ne! So one possibility is Fi+Ne, could also be Fi+Te or Fi Se.
Now you brought up a good point about, why can't we have two intraversive primary functions next to each other, and honestly, you have a good point to argue, let's look more closely at the Shadow functions. The shadow functions, which are the last four are apart of you unconscious identity, so the primary shadow function is probably going to be quite developed. It is the parts about us that we do not necessarily know, sometimes our instinct or just a part of us which acts with out use realizing. Secondly, don't think of Introversive Feeling and extraversive Feeling disconnected, they are like a city, split in to two suburbs. So when one develops theoretically so should the other. I.e if we develop our internal values enough then we will start to value what other people think too, we will bring others in to our internal values which is essentially Fe, so Fe is inside Fi, and Fi is inside Fe. To me it's really just the natural process of learning, the route the brain takes to develop. You're not going to fit perfectly in to MBTI with out having a few oddly developed functions, that is simply how you will have to take it. An INFP with an oddly developed amount of Introversive thinking, due to our background, the life we went through has heavy impact on the natural psychological processes. A new born ostrich hatched from the eggs knows how to camouflage its self as a bush with out any assistance from its parents, but an ostrich that grows up in the hood, is going to walk like a brother and think like a brother, you picking up, what I'm putting down, dawg? *clears throat*.. So, basically you can get hybrids, or really just people are more complicated then MBTI, but it's a start yes.

If we Say Fi and Ne that would mean INFP, if it is INFP then the 3rd and 4th functions are Si, Te and those two functions are pretty moderately developed, so that makes sense.. Hmmm the only Way T and F can both be intraversive is if one is at the top and the other is at the bottom. Fi might be oddly developed and Ti may be the dominant function
That could mean you are an INTJ with an oddly developed Fi and using the ti from the shadow functions.. But let's look it from a different angle, let's focus 100% on your dominant function, is Fi what you connect with the most? When you read the description of Fi is it dead on above all the others? because according to Jung 75% of your actions are judged or perceived through that primary function if you read all 8 functions is Fi the one you identify with the most? If so then you'd have to be an INFP with a evolved preference of Thinking over Sensing and Intuition. Or is that the preference is unchanged but just that you have the ability to think very well.

So basically Te would back up your Fi, but you use Te in a way which looks like Ti, they of
course being apart of the same circle. So it's better to say you use T to back up your F. do you use the S to back up the F, the N to back up the F or does the S back up of the N, or all of the above, and the preference to each side doesn't necessarily change it to intraversive because they are both inside eachother as we said before about Fi, a hugely developed Fi might end up looking like Fe, or it on the surface can look like Fe and then as you go deeper it is more and more Fi, can be the same case for your Ti. The tests asks surface questions but does not really peer deep in to depths to questions of questions, which many of us have this sense of multiplying reasoning. We act this way because of this, because of this. So that's something to take in to consideration, overall I don't know if we really answered the question of what type you are but after reviewing these graphs you could fit in to all 16 types but perhaps the closest thing that fits you is an INFP, you might find if you have a highly developed T that you find it a bit hard to relate, and you fit in more with INTP's but identify as an INFP. So stay open minded, and as you develop more and age more, you might actually fit in to MBTI better, you might fit in to it less.
You could be an ISFP, INFP, ENFP, ESTP, INTP, ENTJ, ESTJ, if you feel Fi is not the most dominant function but INFP/IFSP seems most likely if it is,
hope this input gave you some depth in to what you were looking for
when you say cheers, it sounds like a group of people cheering.
Cheers *crowd cheers* :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the ostrich analogy. I guess on that note, the one thing that may have greatly impacted my introverted feeling is social anxiety. I guess I would like to show my feelings more but I've never had the confidence to exercise them. I find it very hard to open up even when I really would like to.

The description of Ti fits my analysis of music perfectly. I love naming and categorising every nuance. The bass player I work with would suggest "this chord here" (he's a great musician) and I would respond "oh, the flat submediant 9?", to which he'd respond "right, sure, if you say so...".

So ISTP with an overly developed Fi sounds quite realistic to me, but...

In favour of Fi, I'm very sentimental about certain things, including the music I listen to and the places I like to visit. I really have no idea why I like the places I like, for example my favourite country is Iceland. I don't like cold or wet weather and I don't particularly like empty baron landscapes. There is no logical reason why I should like Iceland, but I do; I feel a strong connection with it. I'm very sensitive to verbal attacks, though I guess this could quite easily have been conditioned. I often play out conversations in my head for hours, but again, this might be Fe turned inwards due to conditioning.

I'm about to embark on my monthly trip into the real world. I'm going to watch a band that I like because they are Swedish...

I'll keep thinking (and feeling) about this and keep you updated on my development. I'll keep checking over the functions and see where each aligns with me.

Thanks a lot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts