Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've had many a discussion about Hogwarts houses, discussing their traits, correlating them to MBTI.

Hogwarts houses are essentially a typology system, one in which types are separated, banded together, and compete against one another. My question is, what do you think would happen if we did this in our society? If we took, for example, SJs, SPs, NTs and NFs, and segregated them?

What would the implications be?
What would be the result of all the competitiveness?
What would each individual group do, surrounded by only their own kind?
What would each group gain, and lose from the separation?

(Sorry if there's a similar thread...)

·
Registered
751 Posts
When you mean by segregating, do you mean on a type by type basis or a type group basis? Either way this is quite difficult for me to decide, because for Hogwarts the only difference is a label and each have their members skilled in different areas to make up for the other type's failings. In the case of MBTI I'm inclined to believe that each will struggle and suffer if not completely fail under a system of segregation, but perhaps only in the modern, interconnected society that exists today. Although the work is SJ pre-dominant each type has found a place in the society to varying degrees and a sudden absence of each other will be felt, perhaps more than most people expect and perhaps more than any type could handle.

I know this is derailing from your original idea so I apologise but when I think of the different societies an image of the peoples of LOTR come to mind. I would compare the SJ to Gondor, being a highly organised, urbanised and highly institutionalised society. I would compare the SP to Rohan/hobbits, more laid back and free than their SJ counterparts. The quality of life and bureaucracy are lower but the people are more content in simpler and perhaps more sensual pleasures. I would compare the NT types to the dwarves, being highly innovative future planners, construction engineers and more willing to shut themselves off from the world in pursuit of their own intrigues. Finally I would say the NF are like the elves, seeming outcasts settling on the outskirts of the main world where they find time to be contemplative about themselves and about numerous issues that may occur through their groups or tribes.

So if each group were more self-reliant (e.g in a society which becomes much more de-centralised than today but much more advanced) each type would likely survive, prosper and find their own lifestyles to enjoy. Smaller communities wouldn't be as rich commodity wise but more able to manage themselves. I think the SJ types (especially ESTJs) would try and become more than a small society as the inability to find contentment through gaining control over others would be sharply felt. Perhaps most would try and control each other. I think though that each will survive, but not without problems or petty issues. The SP types would want the laid back lifestyle and their pleasures to continue and wouldn't enjoy having to toil long and hard for them only to find they have no time for the pleasures they seek. I think the NT and NF types will have trouble with leadership, either through ego, delusion or idealism and few will march under the banners of others. In the case of the N types, it would be a bigger experiment into creating a thriving anarchist or stateless society and I think most cohesion would be in the form of "many marching under many banners but united by the flag of a common cause." I can't see the NT types bending excessively to the ENTJs (and to a lesser extent the ENTPs) and I can't see them bending easily to each other either.

The results of the competitiveness would be xenophobia, paranoia and perhaps lots of it. The N types would fear the SJs are going to come storm in and shut the place down, the SJs would fear the N types will become guerilla soldiers against them. The SP types will fear everyone else will see them as an easier touch and as a result there will likely be a strong risk of infighting for each groups due to the hightened fear and frustration.

Each group will gain a lifestyle they can ultimately relate to of their own, but they will lose each other. I don't think there are fundamental differences in people per type, rather than the MBTI being seperate and rigid squares of seperation I think of it as more fluid. I have found some things to agree with from types far removed from my own (e.g istps or estps) and humanity can find a way to relate on many issues. So I think segregation will bring surface happiness but perhaps a deeper feeling of loss and loneliness. I think it would remain to be seen whether the types will remain seperate or slowly unite back together again. With no authority to maintain the segregation except for sole human desire, would desire drive us to gradually come back together or remain apart?

I would be interested in seeing it as an experiment one day. I would especially be interested in a INFP haven too (I have imagined some wonderfully imaginative things through trying to conceive of such a place.) But we may need help to remember things, so Neville Longbottom's Remembrall may come in handy. :happy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts