Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just been recently learning more about my Ne-Si function pair when it comes to problem solving:

I have past experiences that I hold onto when understanding a situation so I can come up with a solution. It's as if I don't ever forget these small details, that some may forget because it's not important or doesn't apply. I genuinely feel a lot of the times it does. I think INFPs analyse a lot of things anyway but I can't seem to let it go..

·
Registered
934 Posts
Brooding is something that comes and goes rather quickly for me, and even if they do linger around, they tend to be in the background and not being in my face all the time.

But this is in my case.

I think the reason is either that I find a resolution faster, I convince myself more easily, or that I'm just more forgettable, who knows.

·
Registered
830 Posts
There are a lot of things I forget and the things I do remember, however insignificant they may seem, are probably the important memories that have influenced who I am today, good or bad. The problem is only focusing on the negative aspects and where people get themselves into trouble. Possibly more difficult for INFP's because we will couple our strong emotions to those. The right path is to focus on the positive aspects and couple your strong emotions to those. Be aware of the negative aspects so you don't repeat them but distance your emotions from them. However, like I mentioned in another thread, it's possible to lead a strong negative emotion in order to accomplish something positive. Just don't let that negative emotion lead or blind you.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Tertiary Si and also having a good memory can serve it's place/have it's uses of course. However, it can problem if it overtakes Auxiliary Ne which can even lead to a Fi-Si loop or Ti-Si loop which is not fun. So I guess the solution for when it starts to become a problem and you are holding on to things which you don't want to be might be to seek new experiences etc. which engage Ne more.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think it's fairly natural to refer to past experiences. It is often (if not usually) very helpful (e.g. I remember burning myself on the stove element, so I'm careful around stoves) but in my experience it can be problematic if it restricts your perspective, prevents you from connecting with others or otherwise holds you back. I think you're right though that having insight into whether the past situation currently applies is very important. I also agree with @pippylongstocking that seeking out new experiences can be very helpful. That has certainly been true in my case, at least.

·
Administrator
14,964 Posts
I think NFP tend to be fairly flexible (not in the Fe sense, but in perhaps being open minded about people or open to new ideas), so I think it's really important to pay attention to past experiences and to understand them, as they will give you a more accurate prediction of the future, and what you can or cannot change.

Without that would probably would be too naive and child-like, with too much of it perhaps more closed off and refusing to try new things. There's many ways to react to the past, and perhaps you should ask yourself why you want to let it go and what problems you fear could arise from either letting it go or holding on.

I do forget a lot of things, but for some reason I remember some details. Perhaps it's also helpful to ask yourself why they were memorable to you, because perhaps they indicate something about your feelings and what you do/do not want to happen in the future or what you could do differently.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I do tend to compare new experiences to old. It's not a case of brooding or ruminating, it's simply a way of shortcutting too much analysis and more quickly move onto a conclusion.

Reactions: itsbobo

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I don't have a choice, I'm 37 years old and have vivid memories of being 2,3,4,5 etc... I've heard that when you intensely feel experiences they are imprinted more deeply. Well I feel everything, saying hi to a stranger has a distinct "feeling" I will not forget it, it also allows you to bounce new information against tried and true information to come up with something completely new.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think NFP tend to be fairly flexible (not in the Fe sense, but in perhaps being open minded about people or open to new ideas), so I think it's really important to pay attention to past experiences and to understand them, as they will give you a more accurate prediction of the future, and what you can or cannot change.

Without that would probably would be too naive and child-like, with too much of it perhaps more closed off and refusing to try new things. There's many ways to react to the past, and perhaps you should ask yourself why you want to let it go and what problems you fear could arise from either letting it go or holding on.

I do forget a lot of things, but for some reason I remember some details. Perhaps it's also helpful to ask yourself why they were memorable to you, because perhaps they indicate something about your feelings and what you do/do not want to happen in the future or what you could do differently.
Letting past experiences go is liking burying the hatchet within my own mind, which is healthy to do, but it also eliminates the chance of solvability. I'm sure there's a threshold to how much you can focus your energy onto small details in experiences that have a 50/50 chance of appearing in the future, or being used to solve something in the present. My thought process cannot believe that such things occur for the sake of it, thus are left

I'd say these past experiences indicate feelings - times of reminiscing along with analysing, in order to fully understand what happened then and what may happen later on.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tertiary Si and also having a good memory can serve it's place/have it's uses of course. However, it can problem if it overtakes Auxiliary Ne which can even lead to a Fi-Si loop or Ti-Si loop which is not fun. So I guess the solution for when it starts to become a problem and you are holding on to things which you don't want to be might be to seek new experiences etc. which engage Ne more.
You're totally right - The Fi-Si loop happens when I'm too keen on something to be solved. This is a major issue when all other things occurring around me become of less importance. It affects my emotions, body language and energy. It's only because the hypothesis I have are indeed limited with evidence, but the evidence that is provided links to well and my mind is able to figure it out - leading to multiple non confirmed conclusions.

At what point can someone say "there is nothing that can be done." compared to "there is still something that can be done."?

The prior can either help the person move forward but can also mean that these experiences are but a mere memory. The latter can ALSO help the person move forward but says these experiences are an indication.

If it wasn't for Ne-Te functions that helped my overdrive, the Fi-Si loop would drag me down!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...like I mentioned in another thread, it's possible to lead a strong negative emotion in order to accomplish something positive. Just don't let that negative emotion lead or blind you.
Yes! Probably why I make myself accountable to someone (or a few) who guide me. This is my view - too many see the negative aspects of a situation and end it from there, whereas I see it as an opening to discover the positive in the latter. A mixture of ideal and real views I find to be a good way to use your past experiences, because you are not merely accepting one or the other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts