Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Dominant Fi (IxFP) - no

Votes: 1 5.6%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you celebrate? Do you really enjoy holidays, are you in it because of social norms, or you're openly against commemorating certain days? Please include your type and reasoning.

I'm an ISTJ, and for several years I've stopped celebrating anything. While I understand the social aspects of celebrating, I fail to identify a single solid reason that would make me want to celebrate. Even if I had someone special to share the holidays with, I would still focus on the quality time I get to spend with that person instead of some bizzare meaning someone attached to that particular day. If I was to define a "holiday", it should be each and every day you get to share with someone you love.

What's your stance on the subject?

Reactions: LittleHawk

·
Spam-I-am
13,707 Posts
INTJ 5W6
holidays mean nothing to me
just another day to me
today i am celebrating by going to the movies with my ENFP friend
out side of that it will be down time

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
17,456 Posts
Do you celebrate? Do you really enjoy holidays, are you in it because of social norms, or you're openly against commemorating certain days? Please include your type and reasoning.

I'm an ISTJ, and for several years I've stopped celebrating anything. While I understand the social aspects of celebrating, I fail to identify a single solid reason that would make me want to celebrate. Even if I had someone special to share the holidays with, I would still focus on the quality time I get to spend with that person instead of some bizzare meaning someone attached to that particular day. If I was to define a "holiday", it should be each and every day you get to share with someone you love.

What's your stance on the subject?
​An ISTJ eschewing tradition? Wow.

I celebrate the holidays on the basis that they bring lovers, friends, and family together. That's the best reason I can think of to celebrate anything.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I despise holidays, I had to celebrate Thanksgiving with the family. It was horrible. Holidays seem so meaningless anymore, it's kind of pitiful.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
​An ISTJ eschewing tradition? Wow.

I celebrate the holidays on the basis that they bring lovers, friends, and family together. That's the best reason I can think of to celebrate anything.
Most traditions lack logic, and I prefer following rules rather than silly social events, is that strange for an ISTJ? I still doubt my type from time to time, but the high Si makes it unlikely for anything else.

The way you described your preference, it sounds to me that you celebrate being with your close ones and not the so-called "holidays", right?

Reactions: Notus Asphodelus

·
Registered
ENTJ 3w2-5w6-9w8 so/sp
1,184 Posts
ENTP 7w6

I love celebrating but I don't like the social responsibility that comes with it. Like: "If I buy you a present, you should give me something that's worth the same" I like to give presents to people throughout the year whenever I have a good idea and I never really looked through the social norms of gifting. I generally like my birthday but I prefer to bake cakes and host a party myself for a similar reason. What I enjoy about most holidays is that I can spend time with my family. If I just want to celebrate, though, I host a themed teaparty and invite friends.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
INTP here. Nope, just one day which happens to allow me to take things easier. So no I don't bother celebrating. But if someone says merry christmas or happy new year I don't mind shooting the same phrase back. Still, means little to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts