Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 1042 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
It is sometimes easier to say, "No. I'm definitely not like this" than to say "I definitely am like this." Some people may not be sure if they really are a certain way or if they just want to be. It is therefore easier for them to rule things out by saying what they are definitely not.

Personally, I already knew that I was INFJ, but this test helped me to realize that my N is more dominant than my J. Of course there were other factors in place to determine this as well.

Not everyone is just like you!!! :laughing:

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
lol just saying, if you know the opposite of how you are, than that means you know how you are. so why do the test backwards.

·
Registered
892 Posts
^

Psshht...
You obviously didn't understand my explanation.

hahaha
(Yell at me if I pick on you too much. I'm feeling quirky today.)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Munchies it's okay you're entitled to your opinion but this way does work for some people. Everyone is different :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yup, I got ...

Your Type is
ESFJ
Extraverted
Sensing 88
Feeling 100
Judging 44

Qualitative analysis of your type formula
You are:
  • distinctively expressed extravert
  • very expressed sensing personality
  • very expressed feeling personality
  • moderately expressed judging personality

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I find this completely useless. I have to first know what my actual answer would be to be able to put down the opposite. This way, when I turn my ESFJ result into it's opposite INTP, I get exactly the same thing that I get when just doing a test normally. The exact same % on every trait.

It's like telling someone who has trouble calculating 2+2 to calculate -2-2 instead... The numbers are always exactly the same, just negative.

The only use I can fathom for doing this is if you're not honest with yourself while doing a test normally. Which is silly, since if you understand this, you're just as liable to be dishonest while using this method.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I find this completely useless. I have to first know what my actual answer would be to be able to put down the opposite. This way, when I turn my ESFJ result into it's opposite INTP, I get exactly the same thing that I get when just doing a test normally. The exact same % on every trait.

It's like telling someone who has trouble calculating 2+2 to calculate -2-2 instead... The numbers are always exactly the same, just negative.

The only use I can fathom for doing this is if you're not honest with yourself while doing a test normally. Which is silly, since if you understand this, you're just as liable to be dishonest while using this method.
Okay, it is perfectly fine if YOU don't find this useful. But you have to understand some people do actually find this useful. A lot of people are stuck between two types or aren't sure at all what their type is. So selecting the answer that DOESN'T apply to them is easier for them. It's easier for me to think about what I am NOT rather than what I AM. You are entitled to your opinion but please respect that fact that this has been of some use to people.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Okay, it is perfectly fine if YOU don't find this useful. But you have to understand some people do actually find this useful. A lot of people are stuck between two types or aren't sure at all what their type is. So selecting the answer that DOESN'T apply to them is easier for them. It's easier for me to think about what I am NOT rather than what I AM. You are entitled to your opinion but please respect that fact that this has been of some use to people.
This is classic:

Feeler: It works better for me if I do it this way.

Thinker: You do realize your way is really the same as the other way, because of x, y, and z. You are just being illogical and inconsistent to think they are different, and it can't possibly help you to do it "your" way.

Feeler: Yes, dear, I know. Now go correct someone else while I do what works for me.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
This is classic:

Feeler: It works better for me if I do it this way.

Thinker: You do realize your way is really the same as the other way, because of x, y, and z. You are just being illogical and inconsistent to think they are different, and it can't possibly help you to do it "your" way.

Feeler: Yes, dear, I know. Now go correct someone else while I do what works for me.
Tehe :)

I understand that it may be silly and illogical to some, but it's not hurting anybody and it's helping some people so I don't see the problem :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tehe :)

I understand that it may be silly and illogical to some, but it's not hurting anybody and it's helping some people so I don't see the problem :)
I wasn't disagreeing with you. I can see how by describing the "other" one might be able to work around some personal defense mechanisms. On the other hand, I'm not sure it's helpful for me, personally.. and I'm fine with that!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'm sorry. After rereading my post I see how it might have come across as horribly abrasive. While I'm still completely unable to comprehend any way of this being useful (sorry! :sad: :crazy:), I realise it might be seen differently by other people.

I wasn't trying to arbitrarily criticise, I was just trying to show you the thought process that was the result of following your instructions.

I was trying to say that, it's not easier for me to "think about what I am NOT rather than what I AM". This is, somehow, completely irrelevant to the whole issue in my mind. To the whole POINT of the test I'm taking.

Here's an example:

On a scale from 1 to 5;
Q: Do you like parties?

Normal answer: Mostly yes - 4.

Opposite answer: Mostly no - 2.

It's impossible for me to give a different opposite answer than 2 if the first one was 4. Doing so would automatically mean that my first answer was wrong.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I'm sorry. After rereading my post I see how it might have come across as horribly abrasive. While I'm still completely unable to comprehend any way of this being useful (sorry! :sad: :crazy:), I realise it might be seen differently by other people.

I wasn't trying to arbitrarily criticise, I was just trying to show you the thought process that was the result of following your instructions.

I was trying to say that, it's not easier for me to "think about what I am NOT rather than what I AM". This is, somehow, completely irrelevant to the whole issue in my mind. To the whole POINT of the test I'm taking.

Here's an example:

On a scale from 1 to 5;

It's impossible for me to give a different answer than 2 if the first one was 4. Doing so would automatically mean that my first answer was wrong.

Yeah I understand, but my mind doesn't work as logically as yours :) I'm too INFJ for my own good :tongue:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yeah I understand, but my mind doesn't work as logically as yours :) I'm too INFJ for my own good :tongue:
And she said "meh, whatever, we're all different" to more than 20 minutes of painstaking pouring of thoughts into (in)exact sentences and one example. Oh well.

·
Registered
892 Posts

Here's an example:

On a scale from 1 to 5;

It's impossible for me to give a different opposite answer than 2 if the first one was 4. Doing so would automatically mean that my first answer was wrong.
I agree with you on a test like that where the answers are scaled. But what if it just asked if you like parties, yes or no? Then you may start to think about times that you did like parties, times that you didn't like parties, times that you didn't care either way, times that you acted as if you liked parties. Then you may start to wonder what kinds of parties are in question. Are they loud parties, quiet gatherings, lots of drinking, lots of socializing, a few friends, a lot of people, family gatherings, office parties? What part of the party do you like or dislike?
I mean, I suppose it could go either way if the question were "Do you not like parties?" For some reason it's easier for me to agree with the direct question in its negative form, "Do you not like parties?" than it is for me to agree with it in its regular form. I wish I knew why, because I'm sure there is a reason.
To me, the test still comes out accurately either way I take it. Most of the percentages are exactly the same. But when I did it Holly's way, my N function came out as much stronger than usual, which I've been suspecting for some time. I understand why, but I can't put it into words at the moment. I'll have to delve into my subconscious a bit more to explain it I think.

Reactions: HollyGolightly

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wow, it worked for me as well. Amazing ! :laughing:

Your Type is
ESTJ
Strength of the preferences %
Extraverted 89
Sensing 75
Thinking 50
Judging 67

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't think some people are finding it useful. I think they are just proving you right, meaning that a lot of people are getting their inverse. But I'm noticing that their inverse is coming mostly from people who already know their type. I have to agree w/ everyone on this; if you are dishonest forward, you can be dishonest backwards. I think the best way is to just take the test normally, privately, as relaxed as possible. Your method is probably EXACTLY as useful as the existing method. The solution to people who don't know their type would be for the MBTI questions to be harder to 'guess', such as a scenario, visual or associations test, or a multi dimensionality test.

·
Registered
892 Posts
^ I found it useful in determining the strength of my N function, which came out as less strong when I took the test normally. I had been suspecting it was stronger for quite some time.

41 - 60 of 1042 Posts