Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were homeschooled or are being homeschooled, tell us your MBTI type. I’m curious to see if there’s a correlation (I’m predicting more “N” than “S,” but we shall see.)

I’ll start. Never been to any formal school.
INTJ.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm not homeschooled myself, but I have a friend who was homeschooled from the 8th grade on because school just didn't work for him. He's familiar with the personality types and types himself as an ISTP.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Nah, you'll find a variety of types homeschooled. I'm extremely connected to that large network of homeschoolers (and have been one myself). There's the normal mix of people with all the preferences. I'm ENFP, and I've been to every sort of school possible, really. Haha. But I've been homeschooled for quite a bit of my life. Same with my ESTJ sister and INTP brother.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Many homeschooled over at ENTP forum. Not allowed in Sweden though, so not me.

·
Banned
1,534 Posts
My parents almost started homeschooling me in 6th or 7th grade, because I was failing everything and the teachers hated me and stuff. But I didn't want to because friends.

Really, I think it'd have more to do with the parents' types than the kid's type, since they're usually the ones who choose.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just emailed my friend for you. He says his mother is an INTJ and his father is an ESTP. His mother was the one more interested in homeschooling and she ran all of his "classes". However, he admits to having a much better relationship with his father because he seemed to better understand his son's need to do something other than sit in class.

·
Registered
INTP
1,755 Posts
I think this is one of the ((many)) things that won't have a MBTI correlation. There's sooooo many reasons why kids end up in homeschool and a lot of them are out of the kid's control. I ended up in homeschool mainly because... the public schools were just too terrible to deal with anymore. I was in elementary school at the time and my mom was fed up with my extremely lazy teacher who did nothing but read us books all day ((no math, no history, no science, etc etc)). Then when my mom went to the principal, still nothing was done, so she pulled me out and homeschooled me for a while. I was being so bored in school, I was getting in trouble and magically decided to stop showing up for class anymore because I'd find more interesting things to do in-between home and school ((I used to ride my bike to class)). But meh, maybe it was a sign of my eventual INTP-ness :tongue:

I'm not sure of my mom's type but I want to guess xNTP. I have a lot of differences with her but in terms MBTI, we seem similar with a lot of traits and a lot more similar to me than my dad and brother. It's just hard to tell how introverted or extroverted she really is.

Many homeschooled over at ENTP forum. Not allowed in Sweden though, so not me.
Huh? Why wouldn't homeschool be allowed in Sweden?

·
Registered
248 Posts
The parents definitely have their own biases, especially strongly religious folks who don't support evolution and such for their kids. Apparently there were a lot in my district, but we never really saw them... I couldn't tell you their type.

That said, I was homeschooled 5th grade through high school, and did well. IFP, I generally think myself ISFP. My mother is an ExTx (can't tell), my dad is INTJ. I had a weird career choice, homeschooling was a better schedule. My INTP brother wasn't home schooled.

Nowadays, unless all classes are online, I am unable to hold myself responsible for out-of-school classes... I don't know how I did it then. I was pretty much left alone to learn, my mother & a district organized my work.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
It seems like the choice to do homeschooling lies with the parent, for the most part, especially if they start you out on it right from the beginning. My ISTJ aunt was terrified of social interaction at school herself and it scarred her so much that she did all of her kids' schooling (parents who choose to do this method tend to be introverts, at least that's the pattern I'm seeing here).

·
Registered
351 Posts
I was homeschooled all my life. The first time I entered a classroom was when I started college last year.

I don't know if this is what you're getting at, but I've heard it said by people who choose either homeschooling or unschooling that public school causes children to lose their natural curiosity about the world and turns learning into nothing more than dry memorization of facts without much room for questioning or pursuing interests that aren't included in a set curriculum. Maybe having to learn in that way would cause some young people to lose their intellectual curiosity, especially if learning is presented to kids as something repetitive and boring. Do you think that kids tend to develop intuition because homeschooling offers a freer environment to learn?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts