Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Is homophobia associated with homosexual arousal?
Adams HE, Wright LW Jr, Lohr BA.

Department of Psychology, University of Georgia, Athens 30602-3013, USA.
Abstract
The authors investigated the role of homosexual arousal in exclusively heterosexual men who admitted negative affect toward homosexual individuals. Participants consisted of a group of homophobic men (n = 35) and a group of nonhomophobic men (n = 29); they were assigned to groups on the basis of their scores on the Index of Homophobia (W. W. Hudson & W. A. Ricketts, 1980). The men were exposed to sexually explicit erotic stimuli consisting of heterosexual, male homosexual, and lesbian videotapes, and changes in penile circumference were monitored. They also completed an Aggression Questionnaire (A. H. Buss & M. Perry, 1992). Both groups exhibited increases in penile circumference to the heterosexual and female homosexual videos. Only the homophobic men showed an increase in penile erection to male homosexual stimuli. The groups did not differ in aggression. Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homophobic individual is either unaware of or denies."

Source.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Duh. Gays have known this for.ev.er. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Depends on the context. Nowadays, I'm flattered by getting hit on by homosexuals but there was a time when it would freak me out. My time spent with homophobia was due to trust issues that stemmed from childhood trauma. A voluntary test group of 64 individuals is not nearly a large enough sample to make such a study credible however, it is interesting and I kind of agree with the hypothesis...

However, the leading statement to this thread IS an over generalization.

Anyway, my good faith in humanity tells me my intuition is wrong but I'll say this anyway. It looks like someone is looking for justificaion in advancing on guys who clearly don't welcome it. Subconciously **** or not, no means no. Leave him alone. :p

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
So basically all people who do not like gays are gays? What a wonderfull circle. So because i do not like vanilla ice cream, i subconciously crave it? Well i dont care, fuck you vanilla ice cream.
I hate vanilla ice cream.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I'm sure that might be the case for some homophobic people I know, but I think most of them are either very religious or douchebags.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Maybe it is because the people who are not familiar with homosexuality find it more exciting\exotic (but wrong) than those who are familiar with it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Maybe it is because the people who are not familiar with homosexuality find it more exciting\exotic (but wrong) than those who are familiar with it.
You have a point. The paper's discussion has this to say about it:

Another possible explanation is found in various psychoanalytic theories, which have generally explained homophobia as a threat to an individual's own homosexual impulses causing repression, denial, or reaction formation (or all three; West, 1977). Generally, these varied explanations conceive of homophobia as one type of latent homosexuality where persons either are unaware of or deny their homosexual urges. These data are consistent with these notions.

Another explanation of these data is found in Barlow, Sakheim, and Beck's (1983) theory of the role of anxiety and attention in sexual responding. It is possible that viewing homosexual stimuli causes negative emotions such as anxiety in homophobic men but not in nonhomophobic men. Because anxiety has been shown to enhance arousal and erection, this theory would predict increases in erection in homophobic men. Furthermore, it would indicate that a response to homosexual stimuli is a function of the threat condition rather than sexual arousal per se. Whereas difficulties of objectively evaluating psychoanalytic hypotheses are well-documented, these approaches would predict that sexual arousal is an intrinsic response to homosexual stimuli, whereas Barlow's (1986) theory would predict that sexual arousal to homosexual stimuli by homophobic individuals is a function of anxiety. These competing notions can and should be evaluated by future research.
(reformatted for easier viewing, emphasis added)

Reactions: Kevinaswell

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
OMG! Apparently, my mom's gay!
Screw my ADD-ness. When I made this post, I hadn't read the post thoroughly enough to realize that it was targeting specifically homophobic men.
On second thought: OMG! Apparently, my dad's gay!

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
there should be a distinction, i mean homophobic-if they were really afraid they'd just avoid them, and i mean really being forced to have sex with someone not of the gender your attracted to would be a bad experience(i'm bi so IDC:tongue:). but these people aren't afraid they're just looking for a reason to hate. but indeed there are self loathing gays out there poor bastards-afraidthey'd like it

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
"Homophobes are gay."?
So, by saying that "Homophobes are gay.", you are saying that all homophobes are gay? This is extraordinarily unlikely. I liked how 'mrscientist' put it. Based on the logic of that statement, all who loathe one object are, in actuality, craving said object. I loathe mint, thus I secretly (so secretly that I don't even know about it!) love mint?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had come to this rather intuitive conclusion a long time ago...once again, it excites me that one of my many half cocked theories are backed by thorough scientific analysis. :laughing:

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Homophobes are gay."?
So, by saying that "Homophobes are gay.", you are saying that all homophobes are gay? This is extraordinarily unlikely. I liked how 'mrscientist' put it. Based on the logic of that statement, all who loathe one object are, in actuality, craving said object. I loathe mint, thus I secretly (so secretly that I don't even know about it!) love mint?
Of course not :O

People speak generally all the time, yo.

A lotta you guys are being too nit picky about this.

Of COURSE they're not talking about people with a genuine 'fear' sense of the word 'phobia'--how often do you see straight guys running screaming from gay guys? You know what they mean.

Of COURSE this article doesn't mean ALL HOMOPHOBES of any type are actually secretly homosexual :O That's just as silly of an idea as homophobia itself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.