Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been lurking for a while, and doing my best to figure out my type on my own, but I haven’t been able to feel really confident about it yet.

I have tried to focus on things that others view as strange or seem surprised at, and that have been consistent about me since childhood (since I am 32 and some parts of my personality may be growing and changing by now). For instance, I seem to be becoming more liberal and concerned with the greater good vs the more “fend-for-yourself” conservatism I might have aligned with in the past.
This is complicated a little bit by the fact that I was diagnosed with ADD (inattentive, not hyperactive) at around 12-13 and was more or less regularly on Ritalin from that age up through 29. The meds made me much more shy and withdrawn than I naturally am, and I came across to others as more uptight.

I also filled out one of the questionnaires; I'll post that too as a reply.

Here goes:
  • I don't like being rushed when making decisions. Pushy salespeople just make me shut down and leave.
  • I’m very protective of my personal information and privacy.
  • I hate paying bills - it’s not that I don’t have the money, it’s just such a hassle.
  • I much prefer to save until I can afford something vs. having to buy it on credit and then be in the pocket of the credit company for the rest of my life (though that’s not always practical).
  • Too many options are overwhelming - though I cherish my freedom, I sometimes prefer outside constraints and limiting my options as it can simplify the decision-making process (as long as it’s understood that I reserve the right to change my mind at any time!)
  • I have a strong suspicion that there is a best or right way to do everything and hesitate to take action until I can figure out what that “way” is.
  • Driving drunk or texting while driving are both so unbearably selfish to me - how can you reconcile convenience with putting someone else’s life in danger?!
  • Along those lines, it makes me crazy when people can’t follow basic driving rules, e.g. keep right except to pass!
  • Christmas was always stressful because I felt so much gratitude but my outward expression of it always seemed insufficient.
  • I can’t watch horror movies because I feel too much for the victims, and their families, and their friends, or I instantly imagine exactly what it would feel like and I just can’t bear that anyone has had to go through that kind of pain and fear. It sickens me to think that anyone could appreciate something like Saw for “entertainment value”.
  • I get sentimental about weird things, like stuffed animals. Not because anyone special gave it to me or anything; I suppose just because it’s a representation of an animal and I love animals??
  • I hate how sensitive I am. I hate that I cry when I’m angry. I hate that I feel a constant undercurrent of guilt over practically every decision I’ve ever made (though that could have more to do with being raised Catholic).
  • Religion in general has never been for me. At 11, I told my parents that. For the most part, they respected my decision and my right to make up my own mind.
  • I would consider myself Taoist if I could put enough time and attention into really studying it. At present I’m not sure I deserve the label yet.
  • When I’m sad or stressed I like to re-watch movies or re-read books that I loved in my childhood.
  • I’m totally open to being wrong and listening to new perspectives that might change my mind. I wish people in general would talk less and discuss more.
  • I did extremely well on the verbal portions of the SAT and GRE, but just barely average at math. I was good at math until we hit Calculus, then it all fell apart. I love science but I’m terrible at the application of it (I only passed chemistry because my teacher took pity on me!).
  • I think it’s important to learn the rules and then break them deliberately as needed. For example, I think proper spelling and grammar are important but I have no problem breaking the rules for effect.
  • I believe morality is highly subjective and there usually is no absolute right or wrong answer. Many things really depend on your perspective and I don’t understand why the population at large seems to have such a hard time understanding anything from someone else’s point of view.

Oh yeah, and I have thought about writing this post for a good long while now. I’ve been ruminating on it for a least 3-4 weeks, and I’ve been taking notes as potentially pertinent aspects of my personality present themselves to me.
I have taken myers-briggs tests and cognitive functions tests many times, though the results are inconsistent.

I’m happy to clarify anything or answer additional questions!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
32, female.
I’m always stressed. I have a hard time with dealing with stress and probably have a legit anxiety problem. My current job stresses me out a lot too, mostly because my boss is an idiot and our parent company doesn’t care about us. I went to a psychic for my birthday last year and she told me to quit my job and work with fewer women! I probably should have listened.
I also have ADD (inattentive not hyperactive) and was on Ritalin more or less consistently from ages 13-29.

Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
Can’t post links or images yet :(

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
It’s a novel situation and it will make for a good story! Plus, if this is a group of people I don’t know well, situations like this are a great way to get to know people better and (hopefully) bond. I’ll calmly assess our options and help come up with a plan of action but I’ll let someone else take the lead on actually making it happen. I’m good at finding the humor or upside to an unanticipated situation.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
Once I’m out I have no problem making a night of it. My problem is with inertia: if I’m still home at 8 or 9, I’m not going out. But if I’m out, I’m likely to stay out until 4am. If the party is full of boring (or just not-my-type-of) people though, I’ll quickly lose interest and want to do something else.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
My inward reaction would depend on whom it’s coming from. Do I know this person well? Does this claim support or detract from my current opinion of them? I have no problem being friends with someone who disagrees with me, but depending on the subject I may lose a little respect for them.
Outwardly I would probe for more understanding on their position. Why do you feel this way? And then compare that to what I know about their background and history and try to understand how they came to this opinion. Then, depending on how well they defend their position I may have to accept that they have a good point OR I may present them with different perspectives or explain things in such a way (based on what I understand about what is important to them) that they will at least consider my point of view. Either way, we don’t have to end the night agreeing with each other, unless their position is based on willful ignorance or prejudice in which case we probably wouldn’t be friends anyway.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
I would be grateful that I had the opportunity to actually experience something that could contribute meaningfully to my beliefs. I might modify my beliefs, since they are by no means set in stone. I am only one person and cannot possibly understand the entire breadth of existence and understanding within my one self, so inevitably I am going to be wrong once in awhile (probably quite a bit more often than that ;) ).

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
Respect for nature. Acceptance of your own insignificance while nevertheless making the best use of the time that you have. Deep-seated distrust of organized religion. Learning and absorbing information from a wide variety of sources.
A lot of my beliefs are based on intuition and theory, so I would be forced to revisit them if I had an experience or interaction in the “real world” that introduced new information.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
a) I care a lot more about intellectual growth than most people I know. I expect the best from people, absolutely including myself. I take my and others’ privacy very seriously.
b) The fact that I overthink and second guess everything such that I never take action. This didn’t used to be such a problem when I was younger, but has really dogged my steps since my mid 20s.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
I wish I would listen to my gut more, but then waiting for a gut feeling to tell me what to do often results in not doing much of anything. But I love it when I do get a good gut feeling; e.g. I had no second thoughts when I got married. I just knew it was right, even though for most of my life I never really thought I would get married. I don’t get that feeling very often though, and usually don’t know if I should have done something until after I do it (not very helpful!).

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
Reading. Learning. Ideating. Envisioning. Getting outside, and getting outside my comfort zone. Interacting with people I connect with (but not people in general).
Example: yesterday I bought an oversized skirt at a thrift store and cut it up so I can remake it into a dress. I love the idea of this, and I love to design and plan clothing items. But the actual sewing and execution went very slowly, and by the end of the day I felt irritable and down.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
I am both goofy and sarcastic - not everyone appreciates this. I have to remind myself to test the waters before I start “picking on” my friends (which is actually a sure sign that I like you!). I stare at people in public (they’re just so interesting!) but I try not to because it embarrasses my husband :/ Actually, who am I kidding - I don’t try not to at all, I’m just more aware of it now when I do it!
I try to repress my condescension towards ideas and beliefs that are to me overly conventional or borderline ignorant. If you have conventional beliefs, that is of course fine, as long as you arrived at that belief based on its own merit and not simply because you never bothered to explore any alternative and just accepted what you were told. That’s just lazy.

Whew, that's a lot of stuff about me! Hopefully somewhere in there is a clue as to which personality type I belong to.

·
Registered
230 Posts
xNTP. Probably ENTP because I noticed strong Fe in your responses.

For instance, I seem to be becoming more liberal and concerned with the greater good vs the more “fend-for-yourself” conservatism I might have aligned with in the past.
Developing lower Fe.
I don't like being rushed when making decisions. Pushy salespeople just make me shut down and leave.
Probably a perciever.
Christmas was always stressful because I felt so much gratitude but my outward expression of it always seemed insufficient.
Feels a lot of gratitude but bad at expressing it= lower Fe.
I get sentimental about weird things, like stuffed animals. Not because anyone special gave it to me or anything; I suppose just because it’s a representation of an animal and I love animals??
When I’m sad or stressed I like to re-watch movies or re-read books that I loved in my childhood.
Nostalgia is tied to lower Si.
I’m totally open to being wrong and listening to new perspectives that might change my mind. I wish people in general would talk less and discuss more.
Again, probably a P.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I don't like being rushed when making decisions. Pushy salespeople just make me shut down and leave. (J)

I’m very protective of my personal information and privacy.

I hate paying bills - it’s not that I don’t have the money, it’s just such a hassle. (Possibly N)

I much prefer to save until I can afford something vs. having to buy it on credit and then be in the pocket of the credit company for the rest of my life (though that’s not always practical). (I call that wisdom)

Too many options are overwhelming - though I cherish my freedom, I sometimes prefer outside constraints and limiting my options as it can simplify the decision-making process (as long as it’s understood that I reserve the right to change my mind at any time!) (J)

I have a strong suspicion that there is a best or right way to do everything and hesitate to take action until I can figure out what that “way” is. (P)

Driving drunk or texting while driving are both so unbearably selfish to me - how can you reconcile convenience with putting someone else’s life in danger?! (F)

Along those lines, it makes me crazy when people can’t follow basic driving rules, e.g. keep right except to pass! (S. Maybe ST)

Christmas was always stressful because I felt so much gratitude but my outward expression of it always seemed insufficient. (IxF. Possibly N.)

I can’t watch horror movies because I feel too much for the victims, and their families, and their friends, or I instantly imagine exactly what it would feel like and I just can’t bear that anyone has had to go through that kind of pain and fear. It sickens me to think that anyone could appreciate something like Saw for “entertainment value”. (F)

I get sentimental about weird things, like stuffed animals. Not because anyone special gave it to me or anything; I suppose just because it’s a representation of an animal and I love animals??

I hate how sensitive I am. I hate that I cry when I’m angry. I hate that I feel a constant undercurrent of guilt over practically every decision I’ve ever made (though that could have more to do with being raised Catholic). (F)

Religion in general has never been for me. At 11, I told my parents that. For the most part, they respected my decision and my right to make up my own mind.

I would consider myself Taoist if I could put enough time and attention into really studying it. At present I’m not sure I deserve the label yet.

When I’m sad or stressed I like to re-watch movies or re-read books that I loved in my childhood. (Si)

I’m totally open to being wrong and listening to new perspectives that might change my mind. I wish people in general would talk less and discuss more. (HECK YES! - sorry, a little over enthusiastic about that one. XD)

I did extremely well on the verbal portions of the SAT and GRE, but just barely average at math. I was good at math until we hit Calculus, then it all fell apart. I love science but I’m terrible at the application of it (I only passed chemistry because my teacher took pity on me!). (N - correct me if I'm wrong, but you are strong with the idea but when it comes to the details and keeping track of everything you start having trouble.)

I think it’s important to learn the rules and then break them deliberately as needed. For example, I think proper spelling and grammar are important but I have no problem breaking the rules for effect. (N)

I believe morality is highly subjective and there usually is no absolute right or wrong answer. Many things really depend on your perspective and I don’t understand why the population at large seems to have such a hard time understanding anything from someone else’s point of view. (Oh boy. Could talk about this one all day.)

E points - 0

I points - 1

S points - 2

N points - 3 (I counted two of them as 1/2 because I was unsure)

T points - 1/2

F points - 3

P points - 1

J points - 2

So going off of my limited knowledge you'd be INFJ. The most extroverted introvert and the most analytical feeler. It's no wonder that you are having trouble figuring out your type.

If any of my decisions seemed a little weird feel free to ask about them, and I'll be happy to explain my train of thought.

·
Banned
375 Posts
1. When you studied in school, did you accept everything the teacher said or everything you've read in your school books as fact, and went along with them without questioning? Or did you have a tendency to, at least internally, pick fights with even the obvious of facts?

For example, teacher says: 2 + 2 = 4
Did you just go along with it, or did you play mental games in your head, asking questions like: But why is 2 + 2 = 4 ? Is it really 4 ? How does math work? Maybe there's an error somewhere in how people view numbers or in how they combine numbers? Maybe numbers are illusions?

2. Would you consider yourself to be physically impulsive and physically well-aware?

For example, do you move your hands a lot when talking, as if trying to describe a situation not only with words but also with hand-gestures? Drawing a ball in the air when talking about spherical objects, or making push-like motions with your hands when describing distance or how close you stood to a person or an object in the story you're retelling? As a kid, have you ever suffered injuries due to stupid daredevil acts, like jumping off a high place because its fun to test whether you can "land that"? Do you feel like the car becomes a part of your body as you drive it? Or a pen becomes a part of your body as you write with it?

3. Do you catch yourself getting stuck on one particular option/decision, and ignoring other options?

Using myself and my father as an example: Both of us go to a cafe. None of us know exactly what we're going to order. When we arrive, my attention is caught by 1 particular cake I like out of all the cakes available. I say I want that cake. My dad says "But why that one specifically? This one looks tasty too, and that one is quite nice-looking as well."
I respond: "Well no, I just want his one specifically."
He asks: "Have you eaten it before?"
Me: "No, but I like it and I've decided I want it, and nothing else."

Would you be more like me or more like my dad in this scenario?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. When you studied in school, did you accept everything the teacher said or everything you've read in your school books as fact, and went along with them without questioning? Or did you have a tendency to, at least internally, pick fights with even the obvious of facts?

For example, teacher says: 2 + 2 = 4
Did you just go along with it, or did you play mental games in your head, asking questions like: But why is 2 + 2 = 4 ? Is it really 4 ? How does math work? Maybe there's an error somewhere in how people view numbers or in how they combine numbers? Maybe numbers are illusions?

2. Would you consider yourself to be physically impulsive and physically well-aware?

For example, do you move your hands a lot when talking, as if trying to describe a situation not only with words but also with hand-gestures? Drawing a ball in the air when talking about spherical objects, or making push-like motions with your hands when describing distance or how close you stood to a person or an object in the story you're retelling? As a kid, have you ever suffered injuries due to stupid daredevil acts, like jumping off a high place because its fun to test whether you can "land that"? Do you feel like the car becomes a part of your body as you drive it? Or a pen becomes a part of your body as you write with it?

3. Do you catch yourself getting stuck on one particular option/decision, and ignoring other options?

Using myself and my father as an example: Both of us go to a cafe. None of us know exactly what we're going to order. When we arrive, my attention is caught by 1 particular cake I like out of all the cakes available. I say I want that cake. My dad says "But why that one specifically? This one looks tasty too, and that one is quite nice-looking as well."
I respond: "Well no, I just want his one specifically."
He asks: "Have you eaten it before?"
Me: "No, but I like it and I've decided I want it, and nothing else."

Would you be more like me or more like my dad in this scenario?
1. It always used to drive me crazy that teachers never told you WHY something was, only that it WAS, and that was supposed to be good enough. I think I might have been better at math if more time had been spent on why 2+2=4. Part of that is just a stubborn, I’ll-decide-if-that-makes-sense-for-myself streak on my part, but partly because I don’t like accepting anything simply because I am told it is true. Also, I hated having to show my work. If I can do it my own way and still get to the right answer, then why does it matter how I got there?
Not sure if this is relevant to the question, but numbers had personalities and relationships in my head. 3 and 4 did not get along and were upset if they wound up next to each other and 5 was kinda a bitch, but she had a big crush on 6.

2. Yes, I use my hands a lot when talking. It’s frustrating that sometimes there is no perfect word for what I want to express, and then I resort to speaking with the rest of my body. If that makes sense.

3. More like you. Sometimes this comes from a place of just not wanting to think about something as mundane as choosing a cake for longer than I have to - sometimes it’s that I recognise that there is no right or wrong answer so my first intinct is just as good as any - but more often than not I feel drawn to some things for no apparent reason. For example, I was in New Orleans last week and we went into a gift shop. They had these funny little voodoo dolls that each stood for something unique. One stood out to me - bright red, karate style, with an evil little shit-eating grin - not usually my thing at all, but I just felt like he was supposed to go home with me. So I bought him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Jeffrei, no explanation necessary, your train of though makes a lot of sense. I have actually wondered if INFJ might be the answer but it’s also weird to step up and say “Hey look, I’m obviously the rarest personality type in the world!”. But I was reading through the “You know you’re an infj when...” thread and SO much of that speaks to me.

I guess I’m hesitant because I’ve always tested high on Ne, but I test high on Ni too so maybe that doesn’t matter so much? Plus with all this deep soul-searching that this personality typing inevitably leads to, I am also starting to wonder if I really am so much Ne or if that’s just how I’ve learned to see myself, because Ne correlates pretty strongly with the descriptions of ADD individuals. And when a psychiatrist tells you at 12 years old (after only a single session) that you’re highly distractable and can’t hold attention and are constantly being drawn to the next shiny thing, you tend to believe them. But rather than consistently changing focus and getting bored quickly and always moving on to some new thing, I have a more circular approach: I cycle between about 3-4 topics that I deep dive into for awhile and then gradually move on to something else and then something else and then cycle back around to the first thing again. So I don’t know, maybe that’s Ni?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh man @BlueRaspberry, I have been around the ENTP block so many times! And that very well could be right. There are a lot of entp traits I identify with (ref: my response to Jeffrei). But I have a really hard time seeing myself as an extravert. And yes, I know that mbti extraversion is a bit different from the classic introvert/extravert dichotomy, but still. This is another one where I visited the “You know you’re an entp when...” thread and, well, on the whole they just seem more badass than me. I can be entp-esque, but only in certain moods and situations. Like, when I’m feeling really confident or if I’m in a situation where I know I have the upper hand (or if I’m drunk), that’s when I start to appear more like an ENTP.

I definitely agree that I’m probably a perceiver. Isn’t it true though that intj/infjs are still technically perceivers because they lead with a perceiving function? So could that explain it? And would that be a reason for me to believe that I’m NOT an intp, since that is technically a Judging type?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
@Jeffrei, no explanation necessary, your train of though makes a lot of sense. I have actually wondered if INFJ might be the answer but it’s also weird to step up and say “Hey look, I’m obviously the rarest personality type in the world!”. But I was reading through the “You know you’re an infj when...” thread and SO much of that speaks to me.

I guess I’m hesitant because I’ve always tested high on Ne, but I test high on Ni too so maybe that doesn’t matter so much? Plus with all this deep soul-searching that this personality typing inevitably leads to, I am also starting to wonder if I really am so much Ne or if that’s just how I’ve learned to see myself, because Ne correlates pretty strongly with the descriptions of ADD individuals. And when a psychiatrist tells you at 12 years old (after only a single session) that you’re highly distractable and can’t hold attention and are constantly being drawn to the next shiny thing, you tend to believe them. But rather than consistently changing focus and getting bored quickly and always moving on to some new thing, I have a more circular approach: I cycle between about 3-4 topics that I deep dive into for awhile and then gradually move on to something else and then something else and then cycle back around to the first thing again. So I don’t know, maybe that’s Ni?
Yeah, I imagine that this is why INFJs are often hesitant to tell you that they are INFJ. I don’t know why society values rare so highly. It makes no sense to me. However, that’s a whole different rant.

Honestly, I’m not going to tell you that it’s worth it to broadcast that your an INFJ to the world, but knowing your preferences does come with some advantages. If you identify with that description then don’t feel bad about taking it and running with it.

·
Banned
375 Posts
@deesnotes

Well, I'm sensing Ti, Fe, Ni, Se (in no particular order though).
INFJ, ENFJ, ISTP, ESTP as possible options. But I don't have confidence in this assessment since the information you provided is still insufficient.

I could agree with Jeffrei's INFJ result, but I don't see you as someone with inferior-Se. So I probably wouldn't agree simply on that basis. Although having Tert/Aux Ti sounds fitting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do agree with that @Mez; I feel pretty confident that I use Ti-Fe, but that neither is dominant. However, I could easily see myself as inferior Si OR Inferior Se.

Sigh. I think I liked this better before I learned about cognitive functions. Makes everything so much more complicated :tongue: This is also why I took so long putting together my initial post. It's hard to be 100% authentic, especially on a public forum. I tend to care more about harmony than personal authenticity (so, NOT an infp then!) so I'm out of practice when it comes to being honest with myself, especially on the fly.

I looked into ISTP and ESTP - ISTP is a definite no, just so not me, but ESTP I could actually see. Problems are that I HATE conflict, I'm not super action-oriented, and I don't think I'm as feeling-averse as ESTPs sound.
@LadyLullaby posted the following on another thread and I found it helpful:
I'll share some definitions of the functions I found here and then how I may 'use' them. (Remember, we all use all 8 functions, it is just a matter of preference for our brain, which they do more naturally, or call on first.)

Ni - introverted intuiting: Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing "what will be"; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols
(So I use my Ni all day, thinking about the 'what if's' of people's lives and my own, thinking about the meaning of life and noticing the beauties in people and and their struggles and seeking to make sense of things around me. Put another way "I'm usually 'in my head;" and can often see what is coming before others do.)

Fe - extraverted feeling : Connecting; considering others and the group - organizing to meet their needs and honor their values; adjusting and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others
(I use my Fe very strongly. It has made me a 'people-pleaser' which is not always healthy and I'm working to find ways of being more honest with myself and serve others when it is a natural flow and not pressure to simple please and stuff my own needs.)

Ti - introverted thinking: Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarying definitions to get more precision
(Ti is my organizing self. I like to make pros and cons lists, and I use it to evaluate what needs improvement (i.e. my schedule, my expectations, my projects etc.)

Se - extraverted sensing: Experiencing the immediate context; noticing changes and opportunies for action; being drawn to act on the physical world; accumulating experiences; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data; recognizing "what is"
(I don't naturally use Se. I struggle to 'be in the moment' and 'get out of my head.' But when there is a crisis, my brain seems to just take over and I find myself jumping in to help, or clean up, and I am in that moment. I also use Se when I want to relieve stress and I consciously engage in something physical (sometimes kick-boxing, running, hiking, or even cooking etc.)
And @VividMelody's description of Inferior Se:
when I use Se I pretty much go crazy lol and am really hyper and happy.
Actually, the whole thread was helpful. I can't post links yet but it should come up if you search for "Inferior Function Se".

Why do I care? (Personal query, not because anyone asked.) I guess because what is the point of MBTi if not as a tool for personal growth? And if I mistype myself as an INFP and start working on my inferior Te, that's not going to do me much good if I'm actually an ESTP.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
It's interesting. There's a lot of mixed signals and conflicting information. While reading the first post I thought ISTP, second one: ENTP. Overall... I really don't know. The TP seems obvious, especially with your interest in delaying decisions. Stressors seem to indicate inferior Fe or Si, but both could have the effects you describe.

Based on what I read so far INTP would be my best guess, but ENTP is very possible too. Many ENTPs think themselves introverts because ENTPs often have creative highs that lead to lots of ideas and creative lows where they need to detatch a bit. The can do either without other people around (although Ne functions best when it can 'bounce off' of other people)

So no conclusions here but maybe I can stir something with a question or two.

When you interact with others, do you tend to look at them or away from them? (Ti-doms have to limit outside influences to think clearly)
How are you with brainstorming? Do you like bouncing random ideas around or do you like working within a framework? Do you often get the feeling that people take your ideas and take them too literally? (Ne-doms often like staying in the brainstorming phase longer and often dislike it when people want to limit the ideas too fast)

Just some things that might get you going. I'm sure we'll get there together though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just some things that might get you going. I’m sure we’ll get there together though.
I love your positivity! And I so appreciate all of you who’ve taken time to help me out with this. The generosity of the internet can be pretty great at times :)

Question 1: I want to look away, but I’ve trained myself not to do it so much because it’s rude and all that. But when I am speaking I definitely have a hard time not looking away. I need to focus and be in my thoughts if they’re going to come out clearly.

Question 2: I prefer the random, unlimited idea approach, but then I like to filter them through a framework. I have a lot of pretty good ideas but I hyper-analyze them to death and have trouble taking action. That’s a somewhat more recent development; I don’t feel that I was like that until my early-mid twenties. I definitely hate it when someone else tries to limit my ideas. I remember having crazy ideas as a kid and my very reasonable, scientist step-father would carefully explain to me why it couldn’t be done. But I don’t want to hear why things can’t be done! After all, how many times throughout history have people thought that something was impossible only to be proven wrong?? Even if you think I’m crazy, just go on the ride with me for awhile! People think that just because something isn’t likely that it’s not even worth talking about. But just the exercise of fantasy and imagination is worthwhile in and of itself.

A few random things that may (or may not!) prove relevant:

In my life, I have straight-up walked into 2 brick walls, one screen door, and one glass door. I walked into work the other day and saw this crazy stuffed cat-thing hanging over a dividing wall. “Has that thing always been there?”...”Uh, yeah, it’s been there since before we all started”. I’ve worked there for 2.5 years.

I am often researching change - especially when I’m bored or unhappy with my present circumstances. I start researching graduate programs in Germany, or farmland in Idaho, or whether I could move back home and start a business on the beach. And I rarely do these things (mostly because my husband is much more realistic than I am), but thinking about them...well, I can’t decide if it’s cathartic or ultimately just makes me feel worse.

I thought more about the “bad driver” thing and why it bothers me so much - it’s not the rule-breaking that’s the problem; it’s the selfishness thing. It’s selfish to hold everyone else up because you can’t figure your shit out. (It’s cool to swear on here, yes?)

Mundane, repetitive tasks (especially if they’re imposed on me by someone else) make me absolutely crazy. Today I had to go through some rigamarole to reset my HBO subscription and now I have to update my credit card info with my phone company because I got a new one. And it makes me want to take all of my electronic devices and bury them in a hole. Then cover it with concrete. Then build a skyscraper on it. Or for example, my boss is out of town but wants me to call her with an update at the same time everyday. I didn’t call her today. Not that I couldn’t have, but I already did that yesterday. And the day before that. Isn’t that enough of the same stupid thing in a row?

My father does self-type as an INTP. I don’t know him very well so I really can’t tell you how similar we are, but my suspicion is that we’re a lot alike but I’m a better communicator and “people-person” than he is. He’s an architect and apparently very smart. (Yes, I am proud that my father is smart. Intelligence is important to me.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To consider this from a different perspective, here are the reasons why some of these types don’t fit. This is based on descriptions from The Personality Page. (And yes, I know these descriptions contain a lot of stereotypes, so take this with a grain of salt.)

Reasons I’m not an INTP:
I don’t love working alone. I prefer a small group of people whom I feel comfortable with. Sometimes I need to bounce ideas off people, or just take a break to bitch about the boss. And I can’t do that with my dogs (or can I...??)
I’m not terribly nerdy. I’m also awful at math, physics, chemistry, and computer programming (you’re more likely to find me where art and science meet, like in tech writing or web design). But I went to school for music and still consider myself a singer first, everything else second. I now work in costume design (design director, so not a designer per se).

Reasons I’m not ENTP:
Debating - sure, I like it, but I don’t feel that everyone has to know how I feel about something. I prefer debating as an intellectual exercise with people who understand me and aren’t likely to take offense. If I disagree with someone (depending on how well I know them) I may keep quiet to not start a fight or cause conflict. But I will 100% debate things I don’t believe in just for the fun of it :tongue:

Reasons I’m not ISTP:
I don’t like extreme sports, I’m not mechanical, I’m a poor athlete, and I’m terrible at follow-through. I am ok at crafts,but I don’t like following patterns. I’d rather make something up on my own, with varying degrees of success. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever actually followed a pattern as written.

Reasons I’m not INFJ:
I’m not exactly orderly. I do have a system, but most people wouldn’t recognize it as such. But it works for me. I’m more concerned with cleanliness than neatness. My house right now is clean: the trash is taken out, the dishes are washed (ok, most of them are), the floor is mopped. But there are papers and books all over the coffee table. And my scarf and jacket are on the desk. And the mail is unopened. Last night’s empty bottle of wine is still on the cutting board - I could go on, but you get the idea, right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts