• Cats are better!

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you feel about em? Love em? Hate em? Or just eh?

I cannot stand them. I get depressed and uncomfortable. The few that I have watched legitimately scarred me for life so...not very fun :rolleyes: especially gore, don't even get me started on my intense dislike for that...

Now write away your opinions my fellow feelery friends!

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I can't stand them either! I don't get why people find pleasure in being scared. Anything that gives me nightmares isn't worth it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It depends what you mean by horror.

An old fashioned "creature feature" can sometimes hit the spot. They are usually sooooo lame that they are funny. Attack of the Killer Tomato comes to mind.

Then you have the twisted/warped stuff that has a surprisingly valid social commentary (e.g. tv series called Black Mirror). That type of horror makes me ponder universal truths for days ... so, although they aren't comfortable, I do derive quite a bit of pleasure from them.

Then you have the modern serial/soapie style horror. Whether I enjoy this type of horror very much depends on how easily I can suspend disbelief. I loved the Final Destination series but hated the I know What You Did Last Summer franchise.

As for psychological thrillers with psycho/socio-paths running around, feeding their inner ghoul with the pain and suffering of others ... these I try to stay clear of. They make me a little soul sick (unless it is a benevolent/ethical predator like Dexter) so I try to stay clear of them.

Then there is reality. I look at the US politico news atm and see a horror so insidious that it chills me to my marrow ("... at least Hitler didn't gas his own people" - Spicer; "I was always gonna fire him [Comey], regardless of recommendations" - Trump talking about firing a man who was performing his sworn duty to investigate the Trump campaign for potential corruption and threats to the sovereignty of the US government).

Reactions: attic and Adonnus

·
Registered
240 Posts
I despise the genre to be honest, why anyone would want to so vulgarly explore human nature's dark side is truly beyond me. Also I am very sensitive to paranormal stuff it really gives me an uncomfortable feeling so I avoid it as much as I can.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I love them but only good ones. Sadly most horror films these days are to put it politely not particularly well done. It seems like most of the focus in on generic stuff like a haunted house which someone moves in, on some demon or monster, or on... just plain making money above telling a good story. And most of all, jump scares. I really think jump scares while they sometimes work are plain lazy. I prefer creepy or unusual themes and ideas and an air of mystery to any horror film I watch.

The last horror film I saw was this one and it was pretty great, definitely one of the better ones I've seen recently with lots of unexpected stuff in it:

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I've loved them since I was a kid. Really couldn't give a clear answer as to why, as I've been trying to figure that out myself for several years. I think maybe I just really like to be scared/the intensity. I can see why someone would find them depressing, but they've never affected me that way.

This is one of my favorite scenes because it highlighted the feeling of paranoia that comes with not knowing what's happening in the privacy of your own home when you're not looking:

It scared me before I knew the ghost boy is hiding in the left-hand corner @0:33 (someone had to tell me,) but once I did, I loved it even more.

·
Registered
ENFJ 2w3 7w6 8w9 sx/so — The Free Spirit —
3,364 Posts
I hate them with a passion, the same goes for roller coasters too. Why anyone would ever want to feel that way is beyond me.

Reactions: tryingtodobetter

·
Registered
435 Posts
the reason i voted as hating them is that i really despise jumpscares.

horros that involve psychology, endings where the bad guy wins or there is no solution, that build true terror through atmosphere and good plot, the deep shits and the fucked up - that i can appreciate.

> Coherence
> Triangle
> El Orfanato
> fucking Cube - that's the real horror :)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

horros that involve psychology, endings where the bad guy wins or there is no solution, that build true terror through atmosphere and good plot, the deep shits and the fucked up - that i can appreciate.

> Coherence
> Triangle
> El Orfanato
I remember seeing Cube ages ago, I really didn't expect it to be as good as it was. It was sooo goood, I think I have to watch it again

·
5,137 Posts
I am not very easily scared. I don't like gore, though I can tolerate some if it is not the main thing, and I find prolongued fighting-scenes, shootingscenes, and car-chases really boring. If a fightingscenes is really well done it will just hurt a lot instead, and that can be good if there is some kind of message to it that comes across better if you really feel their pain, but it doesn't have to go on and on for that usually. In that case it is not enjoyable, but it feels... important?

It is difficult to find really good horror movies I think, but I like the feeling of mystery, and I want to be scared, though it doesn't always happen(I think when it fails you just feel sickened, and that I see little point in unless it comes with an important message) I am not sure what it is that attracts me to feeling scared, perhaps that I rarely do, in that way, and need some practice. It also feels a bit like training, feeling victorious when conquering the fear and endure, through empathising with the protagonist.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
They're okay (a bit on the boring or cringy side) and cats are obviously better!

·
Registered
7,058 Posts

> Coherence
> Triangle
> El Orfanato
Cube is so underrated. I love movies with restricted settings. It's just one room with different lighting setups. Buried is a good example, and Saw 1 somewhat.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Jump scares can fuck right off. Any movie that relys on them aren't worth my time (there's probably exceptions).

I love psychological horror and incredibly disturbing horror. Something that makes me think, or something that makes me squemish.

My faves:

Jacob's Ladder (the jump scare exception)

Cannibal Holocaust

Blair Witch Project

Need to watch Salo sometime (need to be drunk for that lol)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not a fan of gore, but I love the horror genre. It's not about the killing or the blood, it's about the mystery and suspense of the unknown - like more intense campfire stories. Deep ones are fun, shallow ones can be fun too.

·
Banned
4,187 Posts
I love 'em. I'm a gorehound, so I'm into violent slasher flicks, giallos, etc... :p Nothing makes me laugh harder than watching a half-naked bimbo shriek 'Oh mah gawwwwwd!' before running into a random dark corner where the slasher killer has 'magically' teleported :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts