Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slashers, where innocent people are killed and tortured (Hostel, slashers, etc)

Can you watch them?

If so... do you enjoy them?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
no but I enjoy psychological borderline horror art films.

like donnie darko would be one of those, and memento.

i just watched Let Me In an dit was really good.

there are so many advertised horror films that are not really all that scary.
blood is a little tough for me but it isn't the worst thing in the world. I pretty much hate roadkill though.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I'm not really into horror movies, but I love movies that have moments of horror in them. I don't know if Se7en counts, but that's about as "horror" as I get.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Newer horror flicks disgust me. You don't need all that gore to tell a good story. It's just a gimmick I'd rather not see. If I watch a dark movie, I prefer to use my imagination.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
836 Posts
I hate them and can't watch them. I think it's the empathy thing? I start to feel pain for the characters... and then I just become uncomfortable. I don't think I receive the 'high' that everyone seems to get watching them.

I do however like highly-stylized violence... say for example, most of Tarantino's work. The Kill Bill volumes are both excellent movies in this regard.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'm really into the whole atmosphere of horror but it has to be just right.. I can't stand the violence but there's something appealing to it aesthetically for me, the lighting etc.. One example is the American remake of the Ring --I love all the fog, rain, and the scene where the light hits the tree on the hill, and all its red leaves glow and the interior of the cabin is flooded in red light. I also liked the Grudge, What Lies Beneath and Kwaidan. Usually then I'm more drawn to themes having to do with religion or ghosts or the mind rather than serial killers, monster type things. I think in many cases what I like would be labeled suspense/ thriller than horror

·
Registered
🌈🎹☮INFJ 666 sx/sp🇺🇸💃🏻💋
2,793 Posts
Not really. I like psychological horror movies. I like Alfred Hitchcock, and even some of the older horror movies. But, I hate slasher films. Blood, guts and gore is not scary in my opinion. It's just gross and overdone. And if my husband tries to get me to watch 1 more zombie movie, I think I'll scream.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Same here. I really enjoy psychological stuff like The Cell and Donny Darko but I absolutely HATE straight horror,torcher, chasing, and killing like Hostel and Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

I can handle gore when done beautifully and artistically and put in a scenario I can back myself away from, but I can stand the scary stuff that makes me feel like something is going to get me in the dark.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
One of my Exes put me in his computer chair and told me i had to watch this really good movie. I asked him what it was but he would not tell me. He turned out the lights and left the room to shower and do whatever he was doing. It was Hostel. I turned it off shortly after they started getting torchered and was really pissed that he did that to me! It left me feeling really empty and depressed.

What was wrong with that guy?

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
People who like horror movies and various actions movies where people get killed are probably very high on T function.
T function is what makes one enjoy instances of competition. But in different people it is expressed differently.

If you notice most men (80%) test as T and men also like watching or participating in competition between people: watching or playing sports, one-upping each other in conversation, building a hierarchy in the workplace in which they then compete with one another. In some people though this enjoyment of competition takes a rather perverse form and they enjoy things like watching sadistic horror movies or even enjoy torture.

I personally don't like watching movies about torture and psychopaths. If I turn off my feelings I can watch them, but still seems like a meaningless exercise as such movies don't really carry any ideas. I like imaginative scifi horror with some meaning to them, like the Alien series. And also as Greencoyote mentions there are some lighter psychological 'horror' movies that I think are pretty good. But watching a movie that focuses solely on a bunch of people chasing each other, trying to escape, tying each other to chairs, doing medical experiments on each other to create human centipedes (yeah that was another useless movie) torturing and raping each other - seriously, what a complete waste of 2 hours of your life.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I once had a movie marathon with some friends. We decided (well, I just went along with them) to watch every Saw movie produced. It was absolutely terrible; first shocked and disgusted by all the torture, blood, and fear. Over time my empathetic nature became fried from too much negative energy, completely shutting off due to the stress. I left that day feeling empty and cold inside, unable to relate to anything very much. :frustrating:

Anyway, I tend to have a love-hate relationship with them. The plots usually fascinate me, luring me in with their vibes of mystery. But in the end, I turn off the TV feeling so nasty inside... Modern movies with their high quality special effects sometimes are just too much for me to handle; they're just a little too real for my tastes.

It's not even the gore that I dislike; it's more of the characters being put in tortorous situations, leaving you to watch them struggle and eventually die for an hour and a half. The screams, frustrations, and survival instincts that plague the movies make me question the core nature of humans--probably exactly what the directors want me to consider. The cynical perspective invoked from these adrenaline-junky movies make me shake my head in dismay. :/ Yet why do I keep giving them a chance? "But this one seems like it has potential!" lol, yeah right.

Show me a decent psychological thriller with twists, turns, and thoughtful plots, and I'll become glued to the TV; not out of horror, but of actual, pure enjoyment. It's fantatsic. :D

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Can we share some psychological horror films in this thread? I'm curious now..

I didn't find Donnie Darko scary at all. I'd call it unique than horror (wait.. there was that rabbit..). The Cell was beautiful.. I'm a fan of the designer in that film, Eiko Ishioka. She also did Bram Stoker's Dracula with Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder, which was also a treat to watch. Maybe that was a horror film too? I think the ones I like are dark but they can't be thrown into a single genre. As is Beetlejuice which could probably be described as comedy XD That's as far as comedy goes for me, they're not my favourite.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
We decided (well, I just went along with them) to watch every Saw movie produced. It was absolutely terrible; first shocked and disgusted by all the torture, blood, and fear. Over time my empathetic nature became fried from too much negative energy, completely shutting off due to the stress. I left that day feeling empty and cold inside, unable to relate to anything very much. :frustrating:
AHHHHHHHH!!! that is what i wanted to post as the one of the ones I h H HATED!!!! but I cound not remember the name of it!

IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!!! I had to leave their house alone and drive home and go to sleep alone after watching it. :sad::crying::sad: I check my back seat for cerial killers and everything. I will never watch anything like that ever again.

·
Registered
571 Posts
AHHHHHHHH!!! that is what i wanted to post as the one of the ones I h H HATED!!!! but I cound not remember the name of it!

IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!!! I had to leave their house alone and drive home and go to sleep alone after watching it. :sad::crying::sad: I check my back seat for cerial killers and everything. I will never watch anything like that ever again.
Ugh, it was so terrible. The guy who emotionally snapped at the end and began sawing off his leg in order to escape the chains of his imprisonment... That was the cherry on top of a F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C movie. :dry:

Everytime I watch something scary, I become paranoid about my surroundings and the possibilties of the future. I see shapes in the shadows, imagine sadistic men around every corner, and become sensitive to sounds and interpret them negatively. I'd rather not have my mind sparked in that kind of direction, thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The revised version of the exorcist scared the shit out of me, I thought I was going to be possessed for sure....gulp

I like figuring out what makes serial killers tick-even though they repulse me, can only handle in small doses....

Reactions: Unicorntopia

·
Registered
206 Posts
Much prefer a good thriller with an intelligent plot. I am not a fan or Tarentino in terms of styllised violence the spaggetti westerns are the thing for me in that sense. Mainly because there is so much attention to the cinematography and the landscape as well as the players placed in them. Kurosawa is well worth the time too

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I can't stand them! I get that people enjoy the 'thrill' of being scared half to death, but this is not something I find thrilling. They seem pointless to me.

I like a film that leaves and impression, that has a meaning behind it, that makes me feel inspired. Sometimes I'll watch a film that I 'get' but can't put into words why I 'get' it. I can't put into words the meaning of the film but I still 'get' it.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Although I do love the Kill Bill movies...not so much for the violent scenes more for the story and the script and because I think the main character is pretty cool. I don't know if this counts as horror? And I liked Sleepy Hollow is seemed slightly comedic to me not like the usualy horror movies.

Some of my fave movies are:

The Bourne Trilogy
Amelie
The Fountain
The LOTR Tilogy
Edward Scissor Hands
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Big Fish
Marie Antoinette
Elizabethtown
Romeo + Juliet
Finding Nemo