Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
私を愛して
ESTJ; LSE; 3w4; Sp/Sx
14,683 Posts
Hostility and dismissiveness when asked for proof that functions are real
The functions we know of (MBTI and Socionics) aren't real anyways, they're just concepts and ideas of what cognitive functions could be.
Why is this and what can we do as a community to stop this injustice?
Nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Functions are theories. When people want proof, I tell them to go find it. I don't care much about the sensory aspects; applying the theories seems to correlate with bettering my relationships and getting people on board with my ideas.

·
4,856 Posts
Perhaps it helps to think of it more like poetry, and less like science. It is not precise and interpretations are many and often not very specific, but it gives you things to think about, to compare against and associate with, and a language to talk about those things with others, blurry and subjective as the ideas might be.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Functions are as real as dichotomies. In other words, neither is real. Conceptually, typologies are forms of self-help but what people don't get is that it's the journey, not the destination that's important, since it helps to increase self-awareness and awareness towards other people.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The people that questions their own personality inventory results is people that have problems about accepting themselves and prefer to live in their prejudice -where they are perfect, and everyone else is evil and brings chaos to the world-, commonly they type as ISxx. They want "to believe" and they hate "to think", actually they don't care about facts, and everything does not make them feel good and unique is fake, so make the flat-earthers, anti-vaxxers, imbreed fat losers racial supremacists, etc..

About the facts, there is a nice conversation with the scientific background of MTBI here:
MBTI and Neuroscience

(edit) ups... i forgot the climate change deniers, my bad ;)

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
The people that questions their own personality inventory results is people that have problems about accepting themselves and prefer to live in their prejudice -where they are perfect, and everyone else is evil and brings chaos to the world-, commonly they type as ISxx. They want "to believe" and they hate "to think", actually they don't care about facts, and everything does not make them feel good and unique is fake, so make the flat-earthers, anti-vaxxers, imbreed fat losers racial supremacists, etc..

About the facts, there is a nice conversation with the scientific background of MTBI here:
MBTI and Neuroscience

(edit) ups... i forgot the climate change deniers, my bad ;)
For the love of god please don’t slander ISxx types by associating us with moronic flat earthers and antivaxxers and racists. This is literally just baseless typism

·
Registered
12 Posts
I submit that the first step is to admit that they are not real.
They are no more real than lines of longitude and latitude or seconds on a clock they are social conventions meant to allow for intelligible discussion for otherwise indescribable phenomena.

If you think they are real then you don’t understand the topic you are discussing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
ENFP
296 Posts
it's based on Carl Jung's observations and built on by Myers and Briggs and some people just won't accept observational evidence. If you are interested in type you should know that some types of people don't like this way of thinking. Observation is not evidence for everyone. We believe it because we like Carl Jung and we feel like he was somewhat of a genius and we think we've seen enough evidence in our lives to give it some semblance of reality but at the end of the day, it's still a theory. You can't change that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
For the love of god please don’t slander ISxx types by associating us with moronic flat earthers and antivaxxers and racists. This is literally just baseless typism
sure. i'm sorry for the typism... not my intention to trigger anything. I've little perjudice, i think everyone is different and deserves -at least- a chance, if not more.

but about your association... i think it's works fine in the other direction. you known Stuart Mill's quote of :

"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative".

i think we can exchange conservatives by ISxx, and stupid by flat-earthers / antivaxxes / climate-change deniers / imbreed fatty losers racial supremacists/... we get it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts