Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How can I play it cool with new housemate?

I live with some friends who are graduate students, and we have a new housemate moving in mid-summer. This new guy is cute, and I think there could be mutual attraction. He is a mutual friend of another housemate who is always teasing me about my love life. Current housemate thinks the new guy is a good match for me. He’s gotten us both thinking about it (as my housemate confessed that he talked with the NG about it).

How should I handle this when the new guy moves in? Assuming that I am attracted to him, and do develop feelings, what can I do to make it less awkward? I might only stay in the house for six months, and the lease is very flexible, so I’m not worried about the consequences of dating a housemate. I just don’t want to ruin the potential we might have, or make either of us feel awkward or pressured in the beginning. Oh, and we all tend to have dinner together or hang out in the evenings, so I can't simply keep much distance at first. If it helps at all, this guy seems like an INTP-ish type, and I guess I am INFP-ish. I've tended to have strong relationships with INTP guys in the past. He is a unique person, but for the sake of this post, let's assume some mutual interest.

And yes, my housemate sounds meddlesome, but he is very light and funny about it, and well intentioned.

PS: I’m a normal gal who has certainly considered that the NG may not be interested at all, or may not want to make anything happen at all because of the situation.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Multiple possible ways.

1. If you have the ladyballs, go flirt with him and then eventually ask him out, the timing and stuff depends on you.

2. Ask the guy who thinks you should hook up to hoook you up.

3. Do that thing where people think they're being subtle and then complain about the dude not picking up the message <I don't advice this, but hey, people do it>.

4. Be as overt as you can about your affections.

My advice? Ask your housematedude, considering you're posting semi-anonymously in a... forum.. I think, you're probably either unsure of what to do and/or too shy to ask for help from your friends.

In which case overt flirting is not an option.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts