Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me it's like sometimes I would get into and elevator and get out every time the door opens, and realize is not my floor, that's why I prefer to take the stairs.

One of my best friends (ESTP) calls me a "natural pothead". Many other people often think I am stoned.

What about forgetfulness?

What do you forget?

I have never really lost anything, but I always misplace things, like my wallet, keys etc.

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
I forget where I put things. A lot of times, especially when I am alone, I will drive/bike/walk/jog somewhere and once I arrive I will realize I remember none of my travels due being stuck in thought. Sometimes people will try and talk to me, and I'll hear noise, but not be able to give enough attention to what they are saying, this frustrates the shit out of my mother. When I'm pacing back and forth bombs could be exploding next to me and I wouldn't even notice to the point that it would quell my thoughts. I remember when my neighbor got raided my mother came outside to the backyard where I was pacing and was like "Did you hear that Sam? Those sound like fucking grenades" and I'm just like "Huh? Wha?". It was funny I saw one of the swat dicks try to throw a flash bang (I'm assuming it was such I could be wrong) into a broken window and he completely missed. Ahhhhh I hate Florida...

Reactions: cranberryplains

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
I forget where I put things. A lot of times, especially when I am alone, I will drive/bike/walk/jog somewhere and once I arrive I will realize I remember none of my travels due being stuck in thought. Sometimes people will try and talk to me, and I'll hear noise, but not be able to give enough attention to what they are saying, this frustrates the shit out of my mother. When I'm pacing back and forth bombs could be exploding next to me and I wouldn't even notice to the point that it would quell my thoughts. I remember when my neighbor got raided my mother came outside to the backyard where I was pacing and was like "Did you hear that Sam? Those sound like fucking grenades" and I'm just like "Huh? Wha?". It was funny I saw one of the swat dicks try to throw a flash bang (I'm assuming it was such I could be wrong) into a broken window and he completely missed. Ahhhhh I hate Florida...
I have this issue in conversation.

I really don't hear what people are saying when they talk for too long and if someone talks to me without saying my name first all I hear is noise.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Lots of what CosmicJalepeno said.

I lose a lot of things, I don't hear people when they speak to me and I've actually walked away in the middle of a conversation without realizing it. I just stop hearing words.

When I apply my focus to something I get a better result than most people but if I don't I'm not really aware of other people or the outside world. I have to force it just to stay engaged and even then people say I seem like I'm not really there.

Reactions: Mad Philosopher

·
Registered
442 Posts
The other night I had to go get something from the trunk of my car, so I put my shoes and my coat on, walked a few blocks to the parking garage, climbed the stairs up to the fourth floor, found my car, and realized I didn't have my keys. So I walked all the way back downstairs and back to my dorm to get them, stopping to respond to an email from a professor, and then head back to the garage to try it again. I get back to the parking garage, find my car again, and realize I forgot to grab my keys. On the third attempt I was successful.

Whenever I drive somewhere, I always give myself an extra ten minutes to get there in case I miss my turn, which I often do. On a longer trip I once overshot my destination by fifteen miles before I realized it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I forget why I'm in the room I'm in a lot. The amount of times I've just got up, walked to the kitchen, got there and thought, "What am I doing here?" is ridiculous. I've brushed my teeth like that a few times. I had no recollection of going to the bathroom at all, but I just find myself brushing my teeth. At least it's hygienic.

Also, I tend to remember the abstract stuff more than the simple stuff. Today, I had to give in a cheque to school for a trip, but I couldn't remember exactly who it was meant to be made payable to. So, I put a tonne of mind-power into remembering to ask one of my friends about it. I did that. Then I forgot to hand in the cheque :dry:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I can be absent-minded and forgetful in a lot of minor ways. I've also been told the stoner thing, I can be spacey as hell. I notice so often that I'm lost in thought (which is not, however, always very thoughtful) and someone has to really try to get my attention; one time my friend called a bunch of variations of my name and I only finally responded when he started yelling "DUMBASS!".

I used to be way worse with the absent-mindedness when I was a kid, though. My mom would always be annoyed at me for not having "common sense" (something I doubt the inherent existence of), because I would always do stupid stuff like putting eggs in the freezer and knocking down orange juice pitchers and stuff. The worst thing I ever did was forget to make sure the basement freezer door was closed when grabbing a popsicle, so when my mom came down to grab something the next day EVERYTHING was freezer burnt. They had to take everything out, throw tons of food away, and scrape the thing clear of ice and take out racks and everything. MAN I felt bad about that. So I've tried to pay a bit more attention over the years.

Reactions: Haze and joellr17

·
Registered
190 Posts
In meetings at work I find that I have no idea what they are talking about a lot, it's like I wake up from some trance and realize I'm lost. So then I'm like "Ok Javier, focus, you must pay attention"... a few minutes later I wake up from some trance and realize I'm lost again. Until I hear my name, which is usually someone asking me if something is done some way. I usually say "Yup" even though I have no clue what they ask. They are usually asking just for confirmation so usually they are right anyway.

I don't really remember what are some of the things I forget though. :)

Ok ok I do forget words a lot, I'll start saying something and stop because I completely forgot how to say some basic word. This really upsets me because English is not my first language (although I kind of know more English than Spanish but speak Spanish much better because of my accent) so I feel like people think I just don't know the word in English, but I wouldn't know it in Spanish either.

I also tend to find myself in a room wondering what it is that I was going to do. Or I'll go somewhere to do something and then I find something else that I do and then completely forget what the main reason I was there to begin with was.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
For me it's like sometimes I would get into and elevator and get out every time the door opens, and realize is not my floor, that's why I prefer to take the stairs.

One of my best friends (ESTP) calls me a "natural pothead". Many other people often think I am stoned.

What about forgetfulness?

What do you forget?

I have never really lost anything, but I always misplace things, like my wallet, keys etc.

I did forget stuff often when i was younger but not recently. If i forget anything, it's names of places and things. I can never remember the names of anything when i am trying to explain something. It is the most frustrating thing in the world to me and other people i talk to. I hate it!

·
Registered
369 Posts
My biggest weakness is looking for things. If I am looking for something in a closet, I will look in all the complicated places, but somehow, it will be right in front of me and I will not see it.
Oh yes, looking for things. I'm so bad on it that I don't even bother looking for something myself if there's someone willing to help me, because there's a 90% chance I'll completely gloss over it. I do sometimes forget what I was saying or why I went into a room, but those are less common experiences for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have issues walking. I have a really bad habit of turning around to walk backwards when I'm talking with friends in the hallway or just thinking. It just calms me, walking backwards. Thus, I bump into people, cars, walls, pillars, etc. This also, somehow, happens when I'm walking facing the right way.

People always call me hard of hearing although my hearing is actually fine; I just space out in the middle of conversations and don't register unless they say my name. I'm usually doing this when the teacher takes roll, so whenever they call my name I jump twelve feet because it's the only thing I can respond to.

I also have huge issues looking for stuff. Yesterday I was looking for my copy of the Periodic Table and I was pacing around the house, panicking (I had Chemistry homework that needed doing) until I realized that I had left it on my desk.... on top of my homework. xD

There are countless other stories like that.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I may sound really dumb sometimes...?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used to be way worse with the absent-mindedness when I was a kid, though. My mom would always be annoyed at me for not having "common sense" (something I doubt the inherent existence of)
I have also wondered what people mean by "common sense", my theory is that when a person is acting on common sense, he thinks "what would the majority of people do in this situation?", or "what would be considered normal behavior?", hence the term common sense.

Common sense is therefore not necessarily logical, but just adaptive to the social norms.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
I am very absentminded, but when you're a pretty female, they call it 'ditzy' instead. Misogyny, you've got to love it!

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
*Sigh* I'm very absent-minded, and because I look very girly, I can easily be labeled a ditz until someone actually has a talk with me and listens to me ramble on about something. I can always feel their amazement at how they misjudged at first.

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
My biggest weakness is looking for things. If I am looking for something in a closet, I will look in all the complicated places, but somehow, it will be right in front of me and I will not see it.
That's not as bad as frantically looking for something and then realizing that you're holding it -_-

I also tend to space out quite a lot when I'm driving (I know that sounds horrible). I find myself going into the O_O state while driving. My mind wanders or just goes blank, yet my body moves on its own to keep me from crashing into something.... my body even follows the rules of the road better than my conscious self XD

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
That's not as bad as frantically looking for something and then realizing that you're holding it -_-

I also tend to space out quite a lot when I'm driving (I know that sounds horrible). I find myself going into the O_O state while driving. My mind wanders or just goes blank, yet my body moves on its own to keep me from crashing into something.... my body even follows the rules of the road better than my conscious self XD
O_O Holy shit.

I'm glad I don't own a car honestly because I'm the same kind of driver. I imagine I will in a few years but it's going to be interesting.

Reactions: Ablysmal

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts

I'm the same. I usually go home around like 9:30p - 10:30p... wayyyy after the rest of the workplace left. And very little traffic at those hours. I just mindlessly cruise at 35mph through the local streets going home. If I'm lucky, it's all green lights. My mind wanders as I'm thinking of whatever it is I'm thinking. Red lights, subconscious kicks in and tells me to stop. Elbow on the left door, fist on the cheek, daze, and drive.

What startles me is anything come dashing out from nowhere... like cats, dogs, squirrels, deer, skunks, etc... but seldom do they come out during those hours, however, during the snow season, that, in itself gets challenging. especially with the chance of skidding on icy conditions. =D fun fun fun.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts