Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@irregularpopcorn

No problem, you asked, you didn't 'dictate' that I help. :)

I recommend an excellent book that deals with how we use or fail to incorporate our inferior functions--and what that may look like: Was That Really Me? by Naomi L. Quenk as well as The Complete Enneagram: 27 Paths to Greater Self-Knowledge by Beatrice Chestnut for you to get from the library or buy if you can't get it that way. (I recognized my dominant enneagram immediately from reading Chestnut's book; I am now studying Quenk's book for focusing on the inferior and looking into the shadow functions.)

Now, for 6 vs 9:

Imagine you, or someone you know well enough, is asked to go to a restaurant, and the host says, "How about this great vegetarian restaurant I discovered?"

The 6--unless he or she is sensitive to a lot of vegetables, e.g. they cause gas; or the person is getting over being ill and feels he or she needs some meat, will say, OK--assuming the person is not neurotic or has some kind of mental disorder that would make him or her say, "No!"

Now imagine the 9 in the same situation, and the person has a strong reason to prefer not going to a vegetarian restaurant (you can switch the situation to a meat-n-potato place instead of vegetarian, or some other situation you can relate to), and the 9 is more likely to say, "Sure, no problem," but inside he or she will be seething.

That said, and there are many other examples, you can't separate the dominant enneagram type from the wing; and you (or I, anyone) will go wrong if we don't consider the person's cultural background including childhood--perhaps using the vegetarian restaurant example, a primary care giver (parent, day care worker, et cetera) required "eat everything on your plate or you'll go hungry!" and the child couldn't eat all the vegetables (or the meat), so the "No!" or the "seething" could be more related to a specific time frame yet not be 'habitual,' i.e. only in certain circumstances would the person 'seethe.'

So, 1) Look for regular behaviors dating back to young adulthood but also consider childhood situations that might contribute to the over all dominant and wing, 2) Remember we have inferior functions (MBTI) and shadow ones that may be weak (inferior) or shadow (unconscious) coming into play.

I'm saying all this as a preliminary so if you take a test keep that in mind when answering questions. A lot of people will say, "Your first answer is probably the right one," and I don't agree.

That 'first answer' advice is usually good for very fact-oriented questions and multiple choice (easy) quizzes, but not for something like finding out your personality preferences.

Here are a few. I would take them all, and look for 'matches,' i.e. if two out of three tests give you 6w7 instead of, say, 6w5 and the answers, over all, jibe for you, go with that, and keep exploring enneagram, because it isn't an easy personality theory to grasp, which is one reason so many avoid it: MBTI seems so tidy by comparison.

Enneagram Test- The Riso-Hudson Type Indicator (Version 2.0)

https://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/test.php

Free Enneagram Personality Test

If you have questions when you're done with them, jot 'em down and send me a PM.

I take a while to get back to people because I have to be in an open frame of mind, ready to really listen, and then let the questions gel--and of course take care of responsibilities here at home (and online as Host as I take the volunteer position seriously) but I will respond.

Good luck :)

ADDITION: I would have scored--at certain points in childhood as a 9w1 because I had abusive parents and other authority figures with control of me, but 9s are pretty easy to spot with habitual people-pleasing and accompanying tension.

Look out when they blow, boy howdy it'll be something, because none of us can be 'one' function, or even a dom and wing 'all' the time, in every situation--it's imbalanced, and our psyche will naturally look for balance, and if it has to come out sideways, even dangerous, it will.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts