Personality Cafe banner

Do you have any concrete definitions of what the functions are and what are not ?

• Yes, they are simple once you understand them, I'm going to explain it in the comments.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No, I'm in the same boat at you, they just don't seem specific enough.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No, but I haven't tried that hard to understand them for various reasons.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sorry bro, I'm new on this site, like Jon Snow, I don't know anything.

Votes: 1 16.7%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen all kinds of description on the internet but I still can't figure the functions out because they aren't very concretly defined and there's always this question that bugs me: How are functions different from each other ?

I know that: Ti = Internal Logic, Te = Enviroment Organization, Fi = Concern about Personal Ethics, Fe = Concern about Collective Ethics, Ni = Vision towards Succes, Ne = Seeing multiple possibilities, Si = Store Data and compares to the present, Se = Acts fast based on the 5 senses impluse.

But these are just general satatementes.

Are there any concrete yes or no type of answers for the following questions:

How is Ti different from Ni ?

How is Ni different from Ne ?

How is Fi different from Fe ?

How is Ti different from Te ?

Also, do you have any concrete descriptions of the functions ? like a link to: "Ni is A and it can't be B because Ni doesn't like B. Unless stresed, but in stress situations Ni will still not become B which is specific to Ne and rather become C." while "Ne is B and it will never be that works very well with Ti's D and can't work with Te's E because..." and so on. Something to make sense not just general advice.

Reactions: Eudaimonia

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Well, yes and no. I'll give you some descriptors below, but remember that human brains are incredibly complex and everything works together. Therefore it can be hard to draw lines between the functions, they work together, and they migh work together differently with other functions. Therefore an INFJ describing Ni will often describe different aspects from an INTJ.

Secondly: As useful as the functions are in understanding the reasons behind behaviour; there's lots of other factors like environment, age, intelligence and culture that influence the way these functions are used.

With that out of the way: let's go!

Ni: Ni is a system for connecting and organizing information. Ni does not collect the information, but only tries to connect it to other parts of information. This often takes the form of hypotheses and loose ideas that are more abstract than concrete in nature. This means that Ni-users will often be attracted to abstract ideas and tend to process information top-down, starting from ideas and working towards the facts.
Ni works together with Se, which collects the information that Ni uses.
Ni at it's best is a great tool for generating new insights into complex systems. At its worst it can create conspiracy theories and unfounded assumptions, meaning that Ni must always be checked against something to find out if the ideas are actually founded in reality.

Se: Se is a system for taking in information through interaction. Se-users learn the world through interaction and therefore tend to be attracted to physical activities like sports, eating and interacting with people. Se doesn't take in information passively, like Si, but learns from action-reaction interactions with the world. This means that the information can be raw and subjective, focusing more on the experience of the situation than the raw data of the world. Like Ne, it's about exploration, but instead of exploring the world of ideas, it explores the physical world.
Se at it's best is engaging and observant. At it's worst it's a force for chaos, doing things just because it can and invoking excessive behaviour like over-eating or drug abuse.

Si: Si takes in information passively, but accurately. Si-users can often recount their experiences exactly and factually, sometimes years after the fact. Si also organizes and structures the information without adding to it. This makes heavy Si-users focused on facts and memory. Si uses Ne to gain new insights, always working from the facts up towards ideas.
Si at its best is thorough and reliable, always checking if what they say is accordance with the facts. At its worst it can be inflexible and traditional, unable to take anything that doesn't fit with what they already know as a possibility.

Ne: Ne looks for ideas from the facts. It takes something that is known and generates possibilities from there. Ne has to work together with Si, as it only branches out from known information. Heavy Ne-users will often come off as chaotic and unstructured, but that is only because they are always trying out new ideas and expanding their known world of ideas.
At its best Ne is inventive and spontaneous, often finding brilliant ideas seemingly from nowhere. At its worst it can constantly bring up doom scenarios without stopping to look for solutions in the meantime.

Te: Te is all about getting to a solution. Te wants to solve the current problem as quickly and efficiently as possible. It finds structure in the current situation and get to a solution. Te works together with Fi, as you first have to know what your goals are in the first place if you're going to get to those goals.
At its best Te is efficient and organized. At its worst it's short-sighted and impatient.

Fi: Fi is about personal values. Fi-users will focus a lot on how they personally value things they encounter. As Fi is introverted, this is an internal and very personal process, leading to vast differences in how Fi-types approach life and other people. As Fi analyzes personal feeling and emotions, Fi-users can be very good at connecting with other people. They know what they have been through and can easily project that unto others. As Fi by itself does not take action, it needs Te to form their values into concrete action.
Fi at its best is empathetic and knowledgeable about itself. Fi at its worst is egotistical and apathetic, refusing to take action while still working through what they are currently feeling.

Ti: Ti is about forming general guidelines for understanding problems. Ti wants to understand the problem rather than solve it, which might lead to a step-by-step manual that may never be used to actually solve the problem. Ti is coupled with Fe, where it analyzes systems and social norms in a general sense. Where Te is focused on the goal, is where Ti is focused on the process. Ti is convinced that if the process is flawless, results are inevitable.
At its best, Ti is thorough and strict, leading to a guidebook that can be used to solve a number of different problems. At its worst it's working on nonexistent problems and analyzing at such an abstract level that the solution might never be practically applicable.

Fe: Fe is used for understanding the motivations of other people. Fe-users will focus on the goals of their group, often not even realizing that they might have goals as well. Fe is dependent on Ti to understand the thought processes of their peers and will often have great insights into why people do what they do. Fe is fed with human interaction, meaning that heavy Fe-users need constant interaction with people to feel like they're actually living their own lives. As Fe focuses on other people's motivations rather than their own, Fe-users can come off as 'fake' to Fi-users.
At it's best Fe is social and service-oriented. At its worst it's manipulative and fleeting, leaving people by the wayside as new people come along to connect with.

I hope this rather long piece was helpful in clearing up some of the confusion. MBTI can be very confusing as there are so many sources, and not all of them have the same ideas on how all of it works. The above is based on my limited understanding and a few years of working through discussions, articles and personal experiences. Do with it what you will.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
They've always seemed pretty specific to me. Seems like all you have to do is a quick google search to find several websites that all explain them in a slightly different angle that might help elucidate things for you. It does take some study and meditation, like most abstract things.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Well, yes and no. I'll give you some descriptors below, but remember that human brains are incredibly complex and everything works together. Therefore it can be hard to draw lines between the functions, they work together, and they migh work together differently with other functions. Therefore an INFJ describing Ni will often describe different aspects from an INTJ.

Secondly: As useful as the functions are in understanding the reasons behind behaviour; there's lots of other factors like environment, age, intelligence and culture that influence the way these functions are used.

With that out of the way: let's go!

Ni: Ni is a system for connecting and organizing information. Ni does not collect the information, but only tries to connect it to other parts of information. This often takes the form of hypotheses and loose ideas that are more abstract than concrete in nature. This means that Ni-users will often be attracted to abstract ideas and tend to process information top-down, starting from ideas and working towards the facts.
Ni works together with Se, which collects the information that Ni uses.
Ni at it's best is a great tool for generating new insights into complex systems. At its worst it can create conspiracy theories and unfounded assumptions, meaning that Ni must always be checked against something to find out if the ideas are actually founded in reality.

Se: Se is a system for taking in information through interaction. Se-users learn the world through interaction and therefore tend to be attracted to physical activities like sports, eating and interacting with people. Se doesn't take in information passively, like Si, but learns from action-reaction interactions with the world. This means that the information can be raw and subjective, focusing more on the experience of the situation than the raw data of the world. Like Ne, it's about exploration, but instead of exploring the world of ideas, it explores the physical world.
Se at it's best is engaging and observant. At it's worst it's a force for chaos, doing things just because it can and invoking excessive behaviour like over-eating or drug abuse.

Si: Si takes in information passively, but accurately. Si-users can often recount their experiences exactly and factually, sometimes years after the fact. Si also organizes and structures the information without adding to it. This makes heavy Si-users focused on facts and memory. Si uses Ne to gain new insights, always working from the facts up towards ideas.
Si at its best is thorough and reliable, always checking if what they say is accordance with the facts. At its worst it can be inflexible and traditional, unable to take anything that doesn't fit with what they already know as a possibility.

Ne: Ne looks for ideas from the facts. It takes something that is known and generates possibilities from there. Ne has to work together with Si, as it only branches out from known information. Heavy Ne-users will often come off as chaotic and unstructured, but that is only because they are always trying out new ideas and expanding their known world of ideas.
At its best Ne is inventive and spontaneous, often finding brilliant ideas seemingly from nowhere. At its worst it can constantly bring up doom scenarios without stopping to look for solutions in the meantime.

Te: Te is all about getting to a solution. Te wants to solve the current problem as quickly and efficiently as possible. It finds structure in the current situation and get to a solution. Te works together with Fi, as you first have to know what your goals are in the first place if you're going to get to those goals.
At its best Te is efficient and organized. At its worst it's short-sighted and impatient.

Fi: Fi is about personal values. Fi-users will focus a lot on how they personally value things they encounter. As Fi is introverted, this is an internal and very personal process, leading to vast differences in how Fi-types approach life and other people. As Fi analyzes personal feeling and emotions, Fi-users can be very good at connecting with other people. They know what they have been through and can easily project that unto others. As Fi by itself does not take action, it needs Te to form their values into concrete action.
Fi at its best is empathetic and knowledgeable about itself. Fi at its worst is egotistical and apathetic, refusing to take action while still working through what they are currently feeling.

Ti: Ti is about forming general guidelines for understanding problems. Ti wants to understand the problem rather than solve it, which might lead to a step-by-step manual that may never be used to actually solve the problem. Ti is coupled with Fe, where it analyzes systems and social norms in a general sense. Where Te is focused on the goal, is where Ti is focused on the process. Ti is convinced that if the process is flawless, results are inevitable.
At its best, Ti is thorough and strict, leading to a guidebook that can be used to solve a number of different problems. At its worst it's working on nonexistent problems and analyzing at such an abstract level that the solution might never be practically applicable.

Fe: Fe is used for understanding the motivations of other people. Fe-users will focus on the goals of their group, often not even realizing that they might have goals as well. Fe is dependent on Ti to understand the thought processes of their peers and will often have great insights into why people do what they do. Fe is fed with human interaction, meaning that heavy Fe-users need constant interaction with people to feel like they're actually living their own lives. As Fe focuses on other people's motivations rather than their own, Fe-users can come off as 'fake' to Fi-users.
At it's best Fe is social and service-oriented. At its worst it's manipulative and fleeting, leaving people by the wayside as new people come along to connect with.

I hope this rather long piece was helpful in clearing up some of the confusion. MBTI can be very confusing as there are so many sources, and not all of them have the same ideas on how all of it works. The above is based on my limited understanding and a few years of working through discussions, articles and personal experiences. Do with it what you will.
This is a very good post.
I'm not just saying that because you bolded the functions to make it easier to read, either, haha.
Super old topic though. Dayum.

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
4,174 Posts
@Drecon That's a very well-thought out and comprehensive reply. Thanks for sharing. The information deserves its own website.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Thank you for the kind feedback. Maybe I'll start a website on all of this at some point. I've sure sank enough time into it to be pretty close to an expert on the subject I'd say.

For now I'm just too busy with other stuff, but I'll keep it in mind. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts