Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally, I don't really try with looks. I wake up and brush my teeth and hair to look presentable, and then just throw on whatever I find comfortable (usually just track t-shirts and jeans). No makeup or anything else. It takes 5 minuets tops to get ready, which seems to be pretty rare for a teenage girl. Although I recently did just freak out over a not expected haircut (being as I only ever get upset over relatively small details).

This raised the question: how is everyone else concerned with vanity? Is it a top priority or just something at the back of your mind? Importance level/usefulness?

Reactions: Tad Cooper

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks are definitely important socially, although I'd say that depends a lot on your environment and the kind of people you are around. Where I live looks are important to an extent, if I wore whatever was comfortable and comfy I'd get weird looks :p

As such I do pay attention to what I wear and I'd even go as far as to say I enjoy dressing well. I was blessed with nice features and clothes fit me nicely so I like it! I only go shopping once a year though and it's always a spree, it's soooo boring. I just feel overwhelmed by all the clothes and can never find exactly what I'm looking for, and when I do it's ridiculously expensive.

But yeah, clothes contribute to your image which DOES count. To others. Whether others count to you... :)

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
l had an ISFJ friend who dressed this way. She was really naturally gorgeous, though.

Hmmm, l can't say l pay no attention to my appearance. l don't follow trends, per se, but l shop at pretty common places and buy new clothes somewhat often so l might look like l do.

l like a sleek-ish style.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Honestly a girl that is really dressed up for something that is casual makes me think she is high maintenance and that's right at the top of my turn offs list but don't appear sloppy either. I really like art museums and the symphony so if I am going to something like that I would ask you to dress a bit more formal(a classy looking dress for instance) and I would dress accordingly to whatever you are wearing but other than that I just want you to be hygienic. When it comes to style I only care that you are wearing what YOU like not what seems to be trendy.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I've never been one to wear makeup and do my hair on a daily basis. There have been times in my life when I have done my makeup every day, but that never lasts long. I've enjoyed learning how to use makeup, but that's mainly just for shows I'm in or if I want to go somewhere nice.
Hair, I've never been good with. In elementary school I wouldn't even brush it, because it hurt and I didn't care what I looked like.
Then I did start brushing it, but I have really thick hair so curling it or trying to do much of anything was such a pain.
At the beginning of summer I decided to just chop it all off, and it's really so much better for me. I hardly have to style it.
I have heard things about guys not liking girls with short hair, but I really, really don't care, and my friends like it so I plan to keep it.

I think that this is for a few reasons.
Partly because I don't mind how I look without makeup, and I don't want that to end.
Partly because when I do wear makeup it makes a bigger difference.
But the main reason is I don't want to wake up before 6:30 just to put a bunch of stuff on my face that I'll have to remove a few hours later.

The only thing that I really pay attention to is nail polish.
I change the color about every three days, and I like to keep it looking nice.
I have thick nails that don't break easily, and it's a nice way of putting a bright color on without it looking ridiculous. And it actually lasts more than the night, and doesn't suck to remove.
Right now I have "I don't care" written on them because tomorrow is the first day of school and my friend said she'd give me a dollar if I did it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Are we talking in myself or it's role in how I relate to others?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks are definitely important socially, although I'd say that depends a lot on your environment and the kind of people you are around. Where I live looks are important to an extent, if I wore whatever was comfortable and comfy I'd get weird looks :p

As such I do pay attention to what I wear and I'd even go as far as to say I enjoy dressing well. I was blessed with nice features and clothes fit me nicely so I like it! I only go shopping once a year though and it's always a spree, it's soooo boring. I just feel overwhelmed by all the clothes and can never find exactly what I'm looking for, and when I do it's ridiculously expensive.

But yeah, clothes contribute to your image which DOES count. To others. Whether others count to you... :)
I would love to dress somewhat fancy, but the search to find clothes to fit such an appearance are very hard to find I found (I don't like the cheap trash a lot of girls wear) and the search always tires me out. Know any good places, tell me

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are we talking in myself or it's role in how I relate to others?
Your own, I suppose. Whether fashion/appearance is of utmost importance or of relative importance.

I should probably clarify: I do find appearance somewhat important, I just do not have the patience to spend hours searching for an outfit to buy that could be fancier--I can't find my taste of clothes anywhere. So therefore, until then, sports shirts it is.

I was just curious to see what other people's takes were :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Beyond being "presentable" and appropriate for the setting, not really. I'm far more concerned with my level of health than with aesthetics.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have six pairs of the same t-shirt only in two different colors. I generally only wear those shirts with jeans on a daily basis. I shop for new clothes maybe 3-4 times a year. People have considered me homeless before due to the torn and faded nature of my clothing.

Recently I've expanded my wardrobe and taken slightly greater consideration in my appearance. I realize that my appearance can leave quite an impression with strangers and a greater impact with those I acquaint myself with. I imagine it's not very surprising to most, but looking good has its benefits.

I also get pissed off when someone screws up my haircut. I don't like paying money for bad haircuts, and I usually will be stuck with it until it grows back... I used to get haircuts once every 6 months, now I get them within 1-2 months.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'm not concerned with how I look necessarily. I'm more concerned with the kinds of reactions I'll get based on what I wear. I have a lot of graphic tees that have (overt) innuendo, pop culture references, or just rad designs/colors that I combine with an overabundance of non-dressy button downs (I often look like i belong on an island, which is good because i live on an island) and solid color/pastel shorts.

I try to dress so that I blend into my surroundings, yet also stick out enough to not be boring, ie when my friends and i go to the beach, you're damn right i'm gonna look like i belong on the beach, and i look good too.

Reactions: OokySpooky and b3th

·
Registered
483 Posts
I give some importance to my dressing style and the way I present myself. Only recently that is. I like looking my best and while I am at it, dressing simply. No fancy accessories and just some eye makeup. But if I could, I would wear hoodies till the day I die :cool:

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
I have six pairs of the same t-shirt only in two different colors. I generally only wear those shirts with jeans on a daily basis. I shop for new clothes maybe 3-4 times a year. People have considered me homeless before due to the torn and faded nature of my clothing.
For me I wear the same jeans or jean shorts the whole week since everything is in my pockets and I'm too lazy to switch my belt and everything in the pockets to another pair of pants. I was thinking of getting all the same shirts like Mark Zuckerberg does so then I don't have to worry about what I'm wearing or make a decision there. Save that mental energy for something better.

I used to get haircuts once every 6 months, now I get them within 1-2 months.
I do about the same. I need to get a haircut soon. My criteria is do I get bedhead. I am told by the place I go to get a haircut I'm the easiest haircut they usually give. I just have them buzz it to 1/8th or 1/4 of an inch and then let it grow for 3-4 months and repeat. It saves me money and if I do sleep late, I can pass without having to worry about my hair.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
For me I wear the same jeans or jean shorts the whole week since everything is in my pockets and I'm too lazy to switch my belt and everything in the pockets to another pair of pants. I was thinking of getting all the same shirts like Mark Zuckerberg does so then I don't have to worry about what I'm wearing or make a decision there. Save that mental energy for something better.

I do about the same. I need to get a haircut soon. My criteria is do I get bedhead. I am told by the place I go to get a haircut I'm the easiest haircut they usually give. I just have them buzz it to 1/8th or 1/4 of an inch and then let it grow for 3-4 months and repeat. It saves me money and if I do sleep late, I can pass without having to worry about my hair.
I get my hair cut probably only once or twice a year. I get it down to a tight trim (not a buzz) and then let it grow out until my nickname becomes Flowstradamus over the course of 6-8 months. Unbelievably convenient and cheap (2 haircuts a year!).

Reactions: that and PowerShell

·
Registered
457 Posts
I know how to look presentable, but if I don't feel like it, I don't care. Half the time I can't find what to wear b/c my clothes aren't folded or hung up. They're just sitting on my bed and I promised myself I'd fold them and put them up when I could.

·
Registered
9,096 Posts
Generally, I don't really try with looks. I wake up and brush my teeth and hair to look presentable, and then just throw on whatever I find comfortable (usually just track t-shirts and jeans). No makeup or anything else. It takes 5 minuets tops to get ready, which seems to be pretty rare for a teenage girl. Although I recently did just freak out over a not expected haircut (being as I only ever get upset over relatively small details).

This raised the question: how is everyone else concerned with vanity? Is it a top priority or just something at the back of your mind? Importance level/usefulness?
Authenticity is one of the roots of true appeal. You can play the image game all you want but if it does not come naturally, you'll not beat the naturals unless you devote too much energy to it.

Ne helps a lot, gut-check, on-the-fly adjustments, barely contained chaos. It's life and that has beauty. A natural unforced beauty. And the wise out there or the observant will see it.

You train yourself of course and then drop back to flow, auto-pilot. And of course internal confidence in this process is key. I think ENTPs start out awkward and expressive simultaneously. This gives rise to a flood of experiences that are kind-of like walking many gangplanks. Eventually you find the ship you should really belong on. Vanity merges with flow and is less purely vain at that point. And of course, it's a pirate ship ... Aaaaarrrrrr!

·
Registered
84 Posts
For me I wear the same jeans or jean shorts the whole week since everything is in my pockets and I'm too lazy to switch my belt and everything in the pockets to another pair of pants.

LoL I sometimes do the same thing, it's like slip on shoes except for pants.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I don't do makeup either, I'm too lazy and it's kind of unnecessary, you know? Natural look ftw.

As for the clothes, I don't really worry about those, but I'm not throwing anything at myself anymore, although I used to. You could say I have a section of selected socially acceptable combinations in my head, and I just throw one of them on me. It takes 5 minutes also, but with some level of care. I've also started to put on jewelry. I guess it's all because I've been trying to be a steampunk recently.

But I've noticed one quite uncommon thing. I'm completely utterly crazy about hats. I love hats. And I only realized it recently. That's the only thing I have teenage-girly obsession over.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts