Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only got 1 hour and 45 minutes sleep, if that:

Anxious about blood being drawn, forgot my husband was supposed to leave the bed to me--and he forget too, so 5:00 a.m. or so I mentioned it as he was tossing/turning... still, after he moved to the living room recliner, it took quite a while for me to get some fractured sleep.

I drank a good amount of diluted vegetable broth all day yesterday along with plenty of water--didn't go overboard but I had, I don't know, around a litre.

So I get to the desk and the chick at the computer asks if I ate or drank anything since midnight. I said, "No food, but I made sure to drink plenty of diluted vegetable broth before midnight and water after. I'm well hydrated." She looked at me a bit off, which I noted.

Turns out I wasn't supposed to drink anything after midnight, but did anyone from the doctor's office tell me that. Rhetorical. Of course not, so now the BUN and some other blood work may come back with elevations because of the fluid intake.

Blood work went quick, just a prick, and I watched the vials fill up, disappointed and confused that there were only two, looked at my copy of the paperwork I brought in--after I asked if I could have it to reference so I'd be prepared to ask my G.P. questions, came home and looked up the blood work after noting--and pissed too--that there was no cholesterol check (with my new anti-inflammatory diet, only egg whites, no other dairy, and just sardines a few times a week it should be good to great), and damned if the man didn't leave the cholesterol box unchecked.

wtf, I'm in my 50s, been seeing him two years, no blood work for that, no physical, and he doesn't check the box. Fucktard.

Funny note at the end.

My husband mentioned how phlebotomists, he heard, have to practice on each other so they know what it'll feel like, and I pointed out meant they'd tend toward being more empathetic, so the chick who drew my blood (did a fine, clean job of it) grinned and said, "I had to have my blood drawn as soon as I went into training; we all did. My dad was a cop and he had to be tasered, so growing up I didn't think much about it, just heard the stories, and later I asked him if it made him more sensitive, and he never had to taser anyone but he said, "Hell no, I had it done, it was no big deal."

We all laughed at that, and my husband and I left her smiling, and walked out smiling, too.

Well, that's it for blood work. Maybe I'll sleep OK tonight.

And as for my G.P. I only have to put up with him, that's the plan anyway, for less than a year--until we leave this po-dunk town behind us and head for Akron, population--last time I looked--over 200,000 and growing. And diverse, the way I like it--not all pasteurized and homogeneous and paranoid across the board.

We have the area picked out. Actually, two: Near his work; near Mustard Seed Market (where we shopped back in the 90s); relatively safe places; sidewalks so I can walk outside and not worry about tripping over tree-root split cement...

I'm looking forward to riding up with my husband to reconnoitre those areas, ranking our needs, checking off lists for pros and cons, and otherwise preparing myself for a move, because according to my experience and what a disability doctor noted--along with a 'fully favorable' ruling back in 2010 (no money, whole other issue):

I 'decompensate' when my routine is altered in the slightest.

I am going to do everything in my power to move to Akron and into whichever neighborhood we choose, having my routines in order as well as places mapped out for grocery shopping, walking, doing laundry, attending Akron U basketball games, parks for bird, squirrel, insect watching, and more.

(It helps that I know the city over all, lived in an adjacent city, and have good memories of so much including doing a hell of a lot of research at the Main Library.)

I've melted down right after previous, major moves (almost any move is 'major' to me), i.e. I returned to a passive, frightened psychological place as I lived daily during childhood foster care stints and returns to my biological parents, which included their moving, and therefore my moving, approximately 18 times that I know of before my late teens.

Now that I know how long the trigger and kickback keeps me going off, I have many steps I can take to minimize the damage, make the transition less traumatizing and the move an enjoyable one to make.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts