Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a weird dilemma. I feel like I'm a mischievious childish imp. I'm an ESL teacher of kids between 7-13 and they love me. I find them entertaining sometimes but always exhausting, draining, and I'm happy when that job that runs only 2 months at a time is over. I've also got a 2 1/2 year old half brother who loves me too, I can relate to him and be all fun and stuff and he'll love me more...But I just don't feel it for kids. I've got the social skills for them, but not the desire or will to be someone who loves to be surrounded by young kids.

Like I always tell my friends: "In my dream world my kid would be born 21 years old and we'd head straight to Starbucks for a latte and a chat about life"

Anyone else deal with my paradox: Kids love you but you can't reciprocate, or like me, find them annoying?

·
Registered
356 Posts
LOL Funny you should say, I take my kids into Starbucks and long for deep conversation but knowing full well all they'lle do is bicker over the comfy seat, so I buy them magazines each and sit in the window looking out at the world of people freezing cold doing their Xmas shopping :tongue::tongue::tongue:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Do I like kids? I've had four of them and been step-mom to several others and I think I like them...some times anyway :happy:

Hey I have two teens...any takers? :happy: I have friends with little kids and although they're cute and all that I don't rush in to babysit! :laughing:

I happen have a kid's party business where I organize and host birthday parties...I love my job as I have fun acting / being silly, spontaneous, creative, etc but most of all- I love seeing the kids happy and having fun. And of course...the bonus is that most kids are happy at parties, etc and I only get to do all the fun stuff!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Like I always tell my friends: "In my dream world my kid would be born 21 years old and we'd head straight to Starbucks for a latte and a chat about life"

Anyone else deal with my paradox: Kids love you but you can't reciprocate, or like me, find them annoying?
Moby,mate, you hero!! I actually relate a bit too much to this! I always tell my friends that I do not want children at all. However, I also feel that I could be persuaded to have ONE child. I also tell people that if I was to have a kid, I'd like to go on a charity walk from London to Malawi and back. I assume that this will take a minimum 18 years, and thus when I return, I will have a reasonable and socially apt person to chill out with :confused:

The paradox is, when I was at uni, I was a tutor working with kids 5-14, and I am damn good with kids. They love me, because I'm so random, chilled out and quite mischief prone. I just don't actually like children... I always thought I was the only one, but if this is an ENFP thing, I suddenly make a hell of a lot more sense!

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
It depends on the kid, really. I have an eight-year-old cousin who's lovably crazy. She's actually a little bit like me when I was a kid, just more hyper. :tongue: Then I have two other cousins-a brother and a sister. They're eleven and six, respectively. The boy's idea of fun? Forcing me to write "book reports." He mentioned something about getting extra credit for it. I confronted him about it, and he said that he was only doing this for fun. Riiiiight. Thankfully, I didn't finish it for the brat. The girl is okay...until you play a board game with her. If she doesn't win, she throws a tantrum. -_-U

In addition, allow me to tell you about an incident that occurred back when I was a freshman in high school. My science class forced us to do this "Environmental Day Camp" thing in a local park. We had to set up activities for a bunch of fourth graders. They were divided into groups. Most of the day went smoothly, but I ran into one obnoxious group of kids...

Me: Can you name some air/water/earth pollutants?
Girl: MEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Me: *talks about about groundwater*
Boy: I farted in the groundwater.

Same Girl: How old are you?
Me: 14.
Same Girl: Oh, I thought you were an old lady.
Me: -_-U

Same Girl: Guess who I like? *points to a piece of paper with her name and a guy's name with a heart around it*
Me: I don't care who you like.
Same Girl: Yes you do!
Me: No, I don't.
Same Girl: *gives up*

...That girl must've had too much sugar. :shocked:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have always gotten along with kids. I'm certainly not above playing on various playground equipment or climbing trees...in fact the kids are just there to keep me from looking TOO silly.:tongue:

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm surprised by the relative consensus here. I think ENFPs whether traditionally "religious" or not are spiritual people, it's a complex quest for meaning and authenticity...All of which are far, far from the mind of a three year old slobbering on his teddy bear. But our fun, random nature sure makes US appealing. Very interesting, I'm gonna have to discuss the results of this post with the ENFPs I know personally and see if their responses are similar.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It depends. I certainly don't think in my mind, "OMG CHILDREN!!!!!". Plus, still being young myself, I tend to think of myself as one so when I see younger kids, I think of them at littler versions of me, haha.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Babies are always looking and smiling at me, which is fkn creeeepy... o_O

But kids are usually smart enough to stay the hell away from me. I kick.

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
Kids love me because I'll play with them and go along with their games...but I can't say that I have a strong love for children. I've never understood the desire to go nuts over babies or kids.

As far as having them, I'll be happy either way it goes.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Babies are always looking and smiling at me, which is fkn creeeepy... o_O

But kids are usually smart enough to stay the hell away from me. I kick.
But I thought God loved the little children...oh wait, that's your son. :tongue:

·
Registered
273 Posts
In general, I find other people's kids to be annoying. There are exceptions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Kids love me because I'm weird, bubbly and mischievous... and they probably love me just as much for being a pushover and not at all authoritative. I was a Grade 2 french immersion teacher's assistant through a Coop program at my highschool last year, and I totally loved the kids. However, there were a lot of times where I felt really conflicted because I'd be stuck not knowing whether to act like their friend or their elder.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
No. Children and I do not mix. Under any circumstances. >.>

They're cute when viewed through a 5-inch thick bullet-proof glass pane. It'd better soundproof, too. Just like elderly relatives - the further they are from me, the more I love them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, but I'll bet you look adorable when you're kicking something. I'm the annoying one. Thanks for making me laugh. No thanks for making the rest of the people laugh at me. Not comfortable with that. You owe me an explanation.

I owe you everything. Which, unfortunately, doesn't add up to much. :tongue:

·
Registered
260 Posts
haha well ENFPs are kids themselves, so kids would already be attracted to you right right??? haha. But yeah, only in small doses for me. I can't do that ESFJ/ISFJ thing where they love kids... nope nope.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I'm naturally drawn to them and enjoy playing with them. Whenever my cousins visit they bring their kids and instead of me joining in with the 'adult' conversations I end up being the one following the kids around, entertaining them and making sure they don't get up to mishchief!

I love my nephew so much, he will be 4 in June. But he is hard work! Trying to keep him entertained takes a lot of energy. He's gorgeous and funny and I absolutely love being able to teach him, but yeah hard work!! I actually would like to be a teacher and teach children from the age of 6. I like the idea of spending time with the kids, inspiring and motivating them and then handing them back haha. I don't know if I'd ever want kids of my own...definitely not right now!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts