Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of INFPs seem like they've gone through a lot of problems in terms of their upbringing. So it wouldn't surprise me if, in some cases, that last name is a bit of a stigma. At least, I know that's the case for me.

So for the guys, do you intend to push your family name forward? Would you even be willing to take your partners?
Ladies, do you intend to keep your name even if you get married? Or do you automatically just intend to take your partners?

Alternatively, if you're like me, you may find the appeal of starting an -entirely- new name, something you can create together and be proud of.

So what are your intentions?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of my last name, and I plan on changing it at some point, but as of now it's not a big deal. I like the idea of creating an entirely new name together, but if whoever I am with is not up for that, I would probably change mine to theirs.

Reactions: clear moon and Lad

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I like my last name. It seems to go good with any name, and there's a lot of pride in it, even if I don't posess it.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Not very.

I wouldn't really mind if I lost it.
Ditto. I don't consider my name in general to be something that defines me, especially considering that it's not something that I really choose for myself.

On top of that, it's annoying as fuck when people think that all people with the last name "Tran" are related even though it's a VERY common Vietnamese last name.

I want a last name that's truly unique and easy to remember.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think i'd like to keep my last name going... unless the love of my life just won't marry me cause of it.. then it wouldn't really matter.. it's just a name I think

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I took my partners name when I got married...and I've missed my real last name since. I'm separated now...and look forward to the day when I get my name back. I won't give it up again... I had a pretty crappy childhood but I don't necessarily relate my surname to that...it's a part of me, where I've been, what I've overcome and where I'm going.

Reactions: crazitaco and Lad

·
Banned
605 Posts
I'm an INTJ but wanted to chime in anyway. :happy:
I'd love to co-create a new last name, despite my dad's desire to see the family name continue (which it won't unless I keep it).

Reactions: Lad and susurration

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yeah, I like the idea of creating a new name! That would be pretty neat. I don't feel any particular connection to my current last name. It's pretty ordinary, (Stephens - come on...) and I wouldn't mind if it changed. I would probably just view it as a new way to think of myself, if anything. :happy:

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I was little, my last name was very important to me. I couldn't imagine losing it! I tried to convince my cousin (both of us 3 at the time) that we had to get married, so we could keep our last name.

Now, I couldn't care less. XD It really doesn't mean anything to me.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i like my last name alot Guerreiro:it means man of war which s pretty badass and it goes well with my first name to

·
Registered
79 Posts
I actually don't like my first name much either. The name on my birth certificate is AJ. Explaining to every single person who asks what my name stands for that it stands for nothing gets old. Maybe I should just make up something new every time someone asks what it stands for.

Reactions: Lad and Halcy0n

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I don't mind changing my last if I get married or something, but I've always felt comfortable with my last name regardless of my upbringing. I always thought it was a cool badass name (partially because a wrestler has the same name) so I've always been proud to carry it.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Well my last name is chinese, and I like the reminder of my heritage. I only look slightly Eurasian so it's really the only thing that ties me to it. I don't know why (must be Si) but I like looking at the tradition and culture in my past. I loved doing family trees in school, and hope to compile a more detailed one before my grandparents die.
I can't see myself ever getting married so I think I will probably keep it for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I am not attached to my last name. I was thinking about this the other day, actually, and I don't know what I'll do when and if I ever get married.

I might keep it just because it's mine now and something I've lived with for so long. It wouldn't be a big deal to drop my current surname altogether, though.

(On a separate note, I'm definitely keeping my middle name.)

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a last name that I hated as a kid, I cringed at every first class when the teachers would slaughter it and I was put on the spot in front of all the other kids , when they'd question the pronunciation.

But I'm fine with it now and kind of like that it's pretty rare, and for three months of my life a significant other at the time had to wear it, which was interesting I guess.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
My last name doesn't sound good, was ridiculed when I was a kid, isn't particularly unique, and has to be spelled out to people, etc. Also, I don't like my family (good point bringing that up).I've thought about changing the name, but that feels kind of fake and complicated. I certainly wish I'd been born with a different surname.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
My last name is important to me, because it was a lot of hell to get it. See, I don't have my biological father's last name any longer. When he died, I immediately asked the man who I considered to be my dad to adopt me, and we went through about 6 years of red tape to have that happen. It made me sick to ever write my biofather's last name next as my own, it reminded me that my blood, mind, heart, and soul had all been poisoned by that man. It made me feel like I would never escape his influence. Now legally, by name, and most importantly, by bond, I belong to the family that I have always loved and has always loved me.

In order for me to give that up, I would have to be attached to someone whose last name was really cool or carried a great deal of respect, status, whatever.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts