Personality Cafe banner

How badly will Chat GPT affect the education system?

894 Views 33 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  recycled_lube_oil
Universities routinely require students to submit original written essays. Chat GPT does a decent enough job of conducting academic research in a matter of seconds or minutes. It cannot be caught using plagiarism checking software as the written essay is original work of the AI. How would this affect the teaching and evaluation of students in colleges and universities?
Reactions: Antiparticle
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
It is always possible to ask simple questions about understanding of the text.

But I think it is already possible to check is it AI or human generated text.
Universities routinely require students to submit original written essays. Chat GPT does a decent enough job of conducting academic research in a matter of seconds or minutes. It cannot be caught using plagiarism checking software as the written essay is original work of the AI. How would this affect the teaching and evaluation of students in colleges and universities?
I had to chat with an online helpline the other day. The person kept repeating themselves and would not directly answer my questions. I grew frustrated and typed, "are you a bot or something?!". And the response was, "no, I'm human :(".

So then I apologise but he goes back to repeating the same thing again! Was it actually a bot lying to me the whole time?! 🧐
It is always possible to ask simple questions about understanding of the text.

But I think it is already possible to check is it AI or human generated text.
  • Haha
Reactions: Antiparticle
It has to be more complex question to check this.
I had to chat with an online helpline the other day. The person kept repeating themselves and would not directly answer my questions. I grew frustrated and typed, "are you a bot or something?!". And the response was, "no, I'm human :(".

So then I apologise but he goes back to repeating the same thing again! Was it actually a bot lying to me the whole time?! 🧐
  • Helpful
Reactions: Kintsugi
Essays are outdated.
Reactions: Darryl
I wonder how soon there will be University initiated witch hunts, where students will be wrongfully accused of having submitted AI generated text.
The world, the nature of reality even, is constantly evolving. That's not a platitude, I mean the analog nature of humanity is difficult to replicate, we can barely even predict it, and that's evolving alongside it. But better still, and to echo with something above, we can tell digital from analog, because sooner or later a person (and their actions) will require a sentient 'attendance' to our physical reality, which will never go out of style.
Reactions: Darryl
Hopefully it will fuck things up thoroughly enough to induce reform.
Don't worry as chatGPT is going to steal all our jobs, there will be no need for an education system.

Why is everyone freaking out so much about chatGPT, yeah its cool for some things, but it isn't the end of the world.

Also as someone who works in IT, I can confirm that my company hasn't fired its developers just for chatGPT to write code either.
When it takes over the world people will write code for chatGPT, not the other way around.
Don't worry as chatGPT is going to steal all our jobs, there will be no need for an education system.

Why is everyone freaking out so much about chatGPT, yeah its cool for some things, but it isn't the end of the world.

Also as someone who works in IT, I can confirm that my company hasn't fired its developers just for chatGPT to write code either.
  • Haha
Reactions: recycled_lube_oil
You mean... you'll write code. Got it.
I checked how NetworkChuck used it. Some usage is going to be highly detrimental ie. give me the code from start to finish on how to do XYZ while some usage is going to be beneficial i.e. give me 4 examples of how to code XYZ so I can understand.

I feel for some teachers and the subjects they are teaching.

ChatGPT will make you better

Starset - Perfect Machine

Starset - Perfect Machine [Lyrics]
I thought OpenAI had its own detection system already. Either way, for good output, obviously, ChatGPT requires good input: actual effort and a supply of very clear definitions in the immediate thread with close supervision. It's not a magic trick, it can be used supplementally with responsibility still placed on the user. This would require knowledge of the topic in the first place.
Reactions: burningsoul
a bot that lies🧐
maybe AI does exist
all hail our overlords
i submit my soulless will to you

• Wow
There's already software out there that can analyze writing and tell whether it was more likely AI written or human written, besides, when I taught English, I prompted several writing samples from my students at various times of the year so I knew their writing styles and their "voice" quite well and I could tell when it did not "sound" like them.
I think they are highly useful for organizing one's thoughts on a given subject. What would you replace the with, a multimedia presentation?
Essays are outdated.
Back in Uni when we had "group assignments" 1-2 people of the group would do all the work and the rest will do nothing so this doesn't really change anything.

Teacher always asks detailed questions about the assignment at each member of the group to tell who did all the work and who didn't do shit.
It's cute that you thought asking someone whether they're something would net a truthful answer :p

• Haha
Does something need to take their place?
I think they are highly useful for organizing one's thoughts on a given subject. What would you replace the with, a multimedia presentation?
If you want to see just how great ChatGPT is, reportage your house, let chatGPT advise where to invest that money and let me know how it (dosn't) go.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts